For Heller Students
Students are more than welcome to plan events at the Heller School. In order to maintain better coordination and communication of these events, we require all event plans to be submitted for approval of date, time and space, before any event or guest speaker can be confirmed. It is important not to book a speaker, or confirm a date unless you have already spoken to Student Services and the Heller Events team.
In order to keep an open line of communication with the entire community, students should follow these steps to get their event approved, then refer to other pages on this site for helpful tips (including information about flyers, posters, liquor policy, etc.):
- Complete an Event Request Form online at least two weeks prior to your event.
- For student working groups, submit a budget request form to the Office of the Dean (Meaghan Cummings) along with justification to request funding.
- Contact the Office of the Dean (Meaghan Cummings) at least two weeks, or earlier, if you want to invite Interim Dean Marty Krauss to present or introduce a presenter.
Inviting High-Profile Guests and Presenters
At the Heller School, we encourage faculty, staff and students to bring together scholars and public officials of all backgrounds, religions, opinions and even political views and encourage a peaceful discourse. For Heller to be responsive and supportive of your event, there are certain circumstances in which you must contact the Office of the Dean, prior to an invitation being issued by any member of campus. They include:
- President Liebowitz or Interim Dean Marty Krauss would be expected to attend or participate.
- Security issues would be involved.
- The event may cause disruption of other university activities.
- Heller or University funding would be requested.
If you are interested in the Heller Dean or the Brandeis University President attending or presenting at your event you must send a request to Meaghan Cummings at least two weeks in advance for Dean Krauss and Meredith Walsh for the University President. It is best to contact them a few months in advance to check on their availability.
For Student Working Groups
The Office of the Dean will consider funding requests totaling up to $500 for the year for each working group. In order to obtain funding, a budget request and justification must be submitted to the Dean’s assistant, Meaghan Cummings, for approval, two weeks prior to an event.
If you have activities planned and can submit a budget for the entire semester, that is preferred, but if that is not possible, a budget request on a single-event basis can be submitted. You will receive an email response within a day or two.
If your budget is approved, Vicki Corpian in Student Services can help you with food orders, speaker payments or reimbursements for anything you purchase. Cash is not distributed in advance so do not order anything without prior approval. Most things can be purchased using a Heller charge line with the help of Vicki or your program administrator, and anything you purchase yourself will be considered for reimbursed after the event. Please keep all receipts for expenditures to be reimbursed.
Also, please note that funding approval is separate from event approval. The date, time and location of your event still needs to be approved by the Heller Events Team by submitting details using the online event request form, include all the events if you are planning more than one (as part of a series), even if they are not happening at the Heller School.
What are the policies for reserving Heller space for meetings?
- Same Day Room Requests: You may write your name into a room schedule located outside each room.
- Working Groups: Please designate one representative from your group to reserve space. Each group is allowed to reserve space for meetings one module at a time (approx. 7 weeks). If any meetings are canceled you must inform email@example.com.
- Student Study Groups: Please designate one representative from your group to reserve space. During peak request times (finals/midterms) we will only reserve two hour time slots per week in order to allow space for others. Outside of finals/midterms, students may request space on behalf of their group for a maximum 2 hours per day. On the day of your meeting, refer to “Same Day Room Requests” policy above to extend your reservation. If any meetings are canceled please inform firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't use Conference and Events (x6-4300) but will serve food or use additional chairs and tables, set up and cleanup of all food and furniture will be your responsibility. You must clean up after your event, especially in the evening and on the weekend. If you are having a major event on the weekend, you must hire a custodian before and after in order to assure clean rooms for the event and then for classes Monday morning. Any excessive trash (stacks of empty pizza boxes or food trays) should be taken out to the large trash bins at the side entrance/loading dock of the Heller-Brown building (near student mailboxes). It is not acceptable to leave trash overflowing trash bins. If needed, Doris Breay can provide extra trash bags.
You are strictly forbidden to serve your own alcohol to event attendees. CES attends hearings on the fourth Tuesday of the month to apply for one day liquor permits, so contact CES accordingly if you want to serve alcohol at an event in the Heller buildings.
- Balloons and candles are not permitted for events taking place in the Heller School.
- If you hang items or use any sort of tape, all tape must be removed immediately following your event.
- Flyers – There are five places in Heller where you can post flyers on bulletin boards. The bulletin boards are located: at the student mailboxes, to the left and right of the library entrance, the large board near Zinner Forum, the space between G6 and G5, and the large board outside room 147. You may also put one flyer on small common tables in the Zinner Forum or small seating areas. Flyers are not allowed on painted or textured walls, windows, or doors. They are allowed on the entrance of the building on the day of your event only if they are used to direct attendees. You are required to dispose of flyers after your event is over.
- Posters – You are allowed to display your poster two weeks prior to your event at the entrance of the Heller Brown and Schneider Buildings.