News and Events
Read about our forthcoming April 2017 international conference on Re-imagining Religion, Caste and Social Justice in South Asia as well as articles on our iLab's work on reduction of dengue fever through vector controls. Click HERE for more details.
The third annual international conference on the unfinished legacy of Dr B.R. Ambedkar
April 28 – April 30, 2017 at Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
The Center for Global Development and Sustainability (GDS) invites you to join scholars, policy makers, practitioners, students, and the public for two and a half days of panels, presentations, networking and social events around these pressing issues in India and South Asia. Click HERE for more details.
Nearly seven years after the Haitian earthquake that killed more than 200,000, Hurricane Matthew has now claimed many hundreds more, causedimmense devastation, crop loss and an urgent need for assistance in medical relief, potable water, food and shelter. While the hurricane is a tragic reminder of the need for long-term sustainable development to build resilience in local communities and guard against the onslaught of global climate change, our most immediate attention needs to focus on humanitarian relief. Five lessons for donors... Click HERE to read the full commentary.
Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented the Keynote Address: "The Enduring Legacy of Ambedkar and the Genius of the Indian Constitution" at the Inaugural Event Celebrating the Constitution Day of India Sponsored by the Consulate General of India, New York and Ambedkar International Mission. Consulate General of India- New York, New York, on December 3rd 2016. Click HERE to watch the full address.
Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, was invited to participate in the Louis D. Brandeis 100: Then and Now Event Series taking place in the Spring 2016 semester. He will serve as a commentator to distinguished panelists on the April 4th event - "Jewish Justices and the Expanding Diversity of the Supreme Court."
See Rajesh Sampath's new blog in the Huffington Post- "The Problematic Legacy of Justice Scalia for the Future of Gay and Abortion Rights in America and Abroad"
See Rajesh Sampath's blog in the Huffington Post- "Anticipating the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Light of Major Supreme Court Decisions on Voting Rights in Obama's Second Administration"
See Rajesh Sampath's recent blog in the Huffington Post- "The Paradox of Increasing Judiciary Power and Diminishing Democratic Will in Contemporary America"
Rajesh Sampath interviewed by Al Jazeera television on the LGBT rights in India
Rajesh Sampath, Ph.D., a GDS Lead Investigator of the Program on Social Exclusion, was interviewed by Al Jazeera America television on January 31, 2016. He was asked to analyze the upcoming Indian Supreme Court hearing on LGBT rights and the possibility of overturning the 150 year old anti-homosexuality law from the British colonial period. He was asked to compare and contrast the different cultural conditions that enable progressive changes in the law and legislation on gender and sexuality in the U.S. and India.
On June 4th, 2015, Rajesh Sampath was a panelist on The Huffington Post Live: When Free Speech Comes at a Cost on Campuses
Vinya Ariyaratne chosen by World Bank President to speak on Buddhism's power to end extreme poverty
Vinya Ariyaratne, MD, MPH, a GDS co-principal investigator on dengue control, represented the Buddhist tradition on a panel with World Bank President Jim Yong Kim. Vinya is one of 6 persons chosen to represent major faith traditions and to speak on the role of faith in combating poverty. Another of the organizations represented, American Jewish World Service, was founded in 1984 by GDS Director Prof. Laurence Simon. See the event flier here.
Applied Knowledge and Intervention Network News
The Center for Global Development and Sustainability’s AKIN partner, The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre and Network, has been awarded four million Euros by the Netherlands Government for scaling up of adaptation and resilience programs.
Center experts on the road
- Naeem Saleem, M.D. and Sultan M Zakaria presented the iLabs Dengue Reduction project at a poster session of the SPARK Innovation Program at Brandeis University, November 3, 2015.
- Director Laurence Simon and Lead Investigator Rajesh Sampath attended the Union Theological Seminary held in October 2015.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper on the philosophy of John Rawls on international justice and the new 2015 U.N. Sustainable Development Goals at the Annual Conference of the Human Development and Capabilities Association at Georgetown University in Washington DC in September 2015.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, was invited to present a paper on the work and legacy of Ambedkar and the Dalit struggle for social justice and liberation in India in comparison and contrast with the African-American Civil Rights movement at the 45th Annual Meeting of the Association of Black Sociologists: RACE AND INEQUALITY IN THE OBAMA ERA AND BEYOND in Chicago in August 2015.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath presented a paper- "A Phenomenological Assessment of Hegel's Dialectical Critique of the Indian Caste System in The Philosophy of History (1830)" at The World Phenomenology Institute Conference at Harvard University in June 2015.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper - "A Critical Look at International Economic Justice and the U.S. Supreme Court: Can Multinational Corporations Be Held Liable for Violations of Foreign Citizens’ Rights in U.S. Courts?" - at The Law and Society Association 2013 Annual Meeting: Power, Privilege and the Pursuit of Justice in Precarious Times in Boston, Massachusetts in June 2013.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper- "Measuring the Significance of Mismeasuring our Lives: A Philosopher's Response to the Report by the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress by Joseph Stiglitz, Amartya Sen and Jean-Paul Fitoussi" - at the Fourth International Journal of Arts and Sciences Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts in May 2013.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper- "Ricoeur's Philosophical Ethics and its Significance for Judging American Debates on Physician-Assisted Suicide" - at the Annual Three Rivers Philosophy Conference held at the University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina in April 2013.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, discussed "Minority Rights and the Chinese Central Party's Doctrine of the Scientific Development Concept" as a panelist at the Harvard Project For Asian and International Relations 2013 Conference: East Meets West - Sustainable Development in the 21st Century at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts in February 2013.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper - "Empirical Realities of Just Development in Sen's Idea of Justice" - at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in New York City, New York in February 2012.
- Lead Investigator, Rajesh Sampath, presented a paper - "Ethical Arguments for Global Economic Distributive Justice and and Global Institutional Frameworks" - at the 17th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference: Moving Toward a Sustainable Future at the Earth Institute, Columbia University in New York City, New York in May 2011.