Rethinking Career Pathways and Advancement in Health Care
This image says “career advancement includes changes in:” and then shows five job characteristics, each with text describing what a change that constitutes advancement would look like. These job characteristics are:
- Hours: Moving from part-time to full-time, from per diem to permanent, from inconsistent to consistent schedules, and to a schedule that works best with people’s lives.
- Pay: Increases in hourly wage or in hours worked; both contribute to pay increases
- Benefits: Moving to a job or workplace with benefits, such as paid time off and affordable employer-based health insurance.
- Commute Time: Finding a job closer to home, which reduces transportation costs and allows for more time with family.
- Responsibility and self-fulfillment: Moves that create a more satisfying work experience, such as jobs that offer more responsibilities or the ability to specialize.
These changes can all be achieved without a change in job title.