Peter Kreiner, Ph.D., is a Senior Scientist at the Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Brandeis University. His research encompasses five overlapping areas: (1) prescription drug monitoring programs, methods and tools for evaluating them and identifying best practices; (2) uses of prescription drug monitoring program data for public health surveillance and evaluation; (3) inter-organizational and interpersonal networks, and their roles in health services coordination and, more generally, state and community health infrastructures; (4) diffusion of innovation, including the adoption of evidence-based programs by substance abuse prevention and treatment agencies; and (5) small geographic area measures and models of health-related and social problems, risk for such problems, and protection from such problems.
- Becker, WC, Fenton, BT, Brandt, CA, Doyle, EL, Francis, J, Goulet, JL, Moore, BA, Torrise, V, Kerns, RD, and Kreiner, PW. "Multiple sources of prescription payment and risky opioid therapy among veterans." Medical Care (2017). (forthcoming)
- Weiner, SG, Baker, O, Rogers, AF, Garner, C, Nelson, LS, Kreiner, PW, and Schuur, JD.. "Opioid prescriptions by specialty in Ohio, 2010-2014." Pain Medicine (2017). (forthcoming)
- Young, L, Kreiner, P, and Panas, L.. "Unsolicited Reporting to Prescribers of Opioid Analgesics by a State Prescription Drug Monitoring Program: An Observational Study with Matched Comparison Group." Pain Medicine (2017). (forthcoming)
- Kreiner, PW, Strickler, GK, Undurraga, EA, Torres, ME, Nikitin, RV, and Rogers, A.. "Validation of prescriber risk indicators obtained from prescription drug monitoring program data." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 173. (2017): S31-S38.
- Kreiner, Peter. "PDMP Policy Developments: Evaluating Prescriber-Use Mandates." Rx and Heroin Abuse Summit. Atlanta, GA. April 18, 2017.
- Kreiner, Peter. "A Validation Study of Prescriber Risk Measures from the Prescription Behavior Surveillance System." Rx and Heroin Abuse Summit. Atlanta, GA. March 29, 2016.
- Kreiner, Peter. Geographic associations between heroin- and prescription opioid-related overdose death rates and PDMP-based risk indicators in Kentucky counties, 2011-2014. Prepared with Deloitte, Inc. for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 2016.
- Kolodny, A., Courtwright, D.T., Hwang, C.S., Kreiner, P., Eadie, J.L., Clark, T. W., and Alexander, G.C.. "The prescription opioid and heroin crisis: A public health approach to an epidemic of addiction.." Annual Review of Public Health 36. (2015): 559-574.
- Kreiner, Peter. "PDMP Data as a Surveillance and Evaluation Tool: Preliminary Findings, Emerging Trends, and Pitfalls." SAMHSA Prescription Drug Monitoring Program - Electronic Health Record Interoperability Grantee Meeting. Silver Spring, MD. January 22, 2015.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Using Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Data for Early Warning, Evaluation, and Prevention: Prevention Strategies to Address Opioid Drug Abuse." SAMHSA's Prevention Day, CADCA Leadership Forum. Arlington, VA. February 2, 2015.
- Paulozzi, LJ, Strickler, GK, Kreiner, PW, and Koris, CM. "Controlled substance prescribing patterns – Prescription Behavior Surveillance System, Eight States, 2013." Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, Surveillance Summaries 64. 9 (2015): 1-14.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Measuring doctor/pharmacy shopping using prescription drug monitoring program data." Food and Drug Administration Public Meeting on the Postmarketing Requirements for the Class-Wide Extended-Release/Long-Acting Opioid Analgesics. Silver Spring, MD. May 19, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Mitigating the Epidemic: Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs.." Utah Poison Control Center 60th Anniversary Symposium. Salt Lake City, UT. October 2, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Outcomes from the Prescription Behavior Surveillance System." Prescription Drug Monitoring Program National Meeting. Washington, DC. September 24, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Prescription Behavior Surveillance System: The value and applications of de- identified PDMP data in public health surveillance.." Rx Abuse Summit. Atlanta, GA. April 23, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "The Prescription Behavior Surveillance System: Applications of de-identified PDMP data in public health surveillance." PDMP National Meeting on Data-Driven Multi-Disciplinary Approaches to Reducing Rx Abuse. Washington, DC. June 4, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "The Prescription Behavior Surveillance System: Selected Data from Washington’s PDMP." Washington State’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Implementation Forum. Seattle, WA (webinar). October 30, 2014.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Using prescription drug monitoring program data for early warning, evaluation, and prevention." SAMHSA Prescription Drug Abuse Policy Academy. Silver Spring, MD. August 12, 2014.
- Thomas, C.P., Kim, M., Nikitin, R.V., Kreiner, P., Clark, T., and Carrow, G.. "Physician response to unsolicited prescription drug monitoring program reports in Massachusetts.." Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 23. 9 (2014): 950-957.
- Kreiner, P. Nikitin, R., & Shields, T.P.. Bureau of Justice Assistance Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Performance Measures Report: January, 2009 through June, 2012. Washington, DC U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance: 2013.
- Kreiner, Peter. "How prescription drug monitoring programs can help address the opioid epidemic." Workers' Compensation Research Institute Annual Conference. Cambridge, MA. February 27, 2013.
- Thomas, C., Kim, M., Kelleher, S., Nikitin, R., Kreiner, P., McDonald, A., & Carrow, G.. "Early experience with electronic prescribing of controlled substances in a community setting." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001499. (2013).
- Clark, T., Eadie, J., Kreiner, P., & Strickler, G.. Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs: An Assessment of the Evidence for Best Practices. Washington, DC Pew Charitable Trusts (http://www.pewhealth.org/uploadedFiles/PHG/Content_Level_Pages/Reports/PDMP_Full%20and%20Final.pdf): 2012.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Geospatial analyses of opioid overdose rates and rates of questionable activity in Massachusetts." National Rx Abuse Summit. Orlando, FL. April 10-12, 2012.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Prescription monitoring programs: An important new area for evaluation and a vastly underutilized data resource." American Evaluation Association Conference. Minneapolis, MN. October 25, 2012.
- Kreiner, Peter. "Non-medical prescription drug use and market intervention: Prescription drug monitoring program data and law enforcement." National Institutes of Justice Annual Conference. Washington, DC. June 22, 2011.
- Thomas, C., Kim, M., McDonald, A., Kreiner, P., Kelleher, S., Blackman, M., Kaufman, P., & Carrow, G. "Prescribers’ expectations and barriers to electronic prescribing of controlled substances.." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association doi:10.1136/amaiamnl-2011-000209. (2011).
- Katz, N., Panas, L., Kim, M., Audet, A., Bilansky, A., Eadie, J., Kreiner, P., Paillard, F., Thomas, C., & Carrow, G.. "Usefulness of prescription monitoring programs for surveillance – analysis of Schedule II opioid prescription data in Massachusetts, 1996-2006." Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 19. (2009): 115-123.
- Katz, N., Houle, B., Fernandez, K., Kreiner, P., Thomas, C., Kim, M., Carrow, G., Audet, A., & Brushwood, D.. "Update on prescription monitoring in clinical practice: A survey study of prescription monitoring program administrators." Pain Medicine 9. 5 (2008): 587-594.
- Markoff, L., Finkelstein, N., Kammerer, N., Kreiner, P., & Prost, C.. "Relational systems change: Implementing a model of change in integrating services for women with substance abuse and mental health disorders and histories of trauma." Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research 32. 2 (2005): 227-240.
- Kreiner, P., Soldz, S., Berger, M., Elliott, E., Reynes, J., Williams, C., & Rodriguez-Howard, M.. "Social indicator-based measures of substance abuse consequences, risk, and protection at the town level." Journal of Primary Prevention 22. 3 (2001): 339-365.
- Soldz, S., Kreiner, P., Clark, T., & Krakow, M.. "Tobacco use among Massachusetts youth: Is tobacco control working?." Preventive Medicine 31. (2000): 287-295.
- Kreiner, P. & Bhambri, A.. "Influence and information in organization-stakeholder relationships." Research in Corporate Social Performance and Policy 12. (1991): 3-36.