Rachel Sayko Adams
Dr. Adams is a Scientist at the Institute for Behavioral Health at the Heller School for Social Policy & Management at Brandeis University. Her dissertation examined alcohol use and its consequences after experiencing a combat-acquired traumatic brain injury (TBI) among active duty military personnel returning from a combat deployment. She has authored several articles in this area. Dr. Adams was the recipient of a pre-doctoral training grant from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. At Brandeis, she is the Project Director of the Substance Use and Psychological Injury Combat Study - Pain Management (SUPIC), a longitudinal study examining the impact of use of complementary and integrative medicine as a complement or substitute for opioids in treatment of chronic pain, funded by the Center for Complementary and Integrative Health at NIH. Dr. Adams has completed studies on the health effects of deployment on military spouses and children, and the impact of early behavioral health treatment in reducing long term substance use and psychological health problems postdeployment. Prior to coming to Brandeis University, she conducted health policy research for federal contracts related to the Medicare prescription drug benefit and public health studies at Abt Associates, Inc.
Awards and Honors
- Best Poster Award, Military & Veteran Affair Networking Group, American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (2017)
- Editorial Board - Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation (2016)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism New Investigator Travel Award, Addiction Health Services Research Conference (2012)
- Academy Health Annual Research Meeting, Family Life and Child Health Best Poster Award, Mohr, B., Larson, M. J., Adams, R.S., Perloff, J., Keane, M., and Williams, T. (2010)
- Allen R. Meyers Memorial Prize for Excellence in Health Services Research, Boston University (2008)
- Delta Omega Honors Society in Public Health, Boston University (2008)
- Merit Scholarship from Boston University’s School of Public Health (2005)
- National Science Foundation Scholarship to attend the Evaluator’s Institute (2003)
- Alpha Kappa Delta Sociology Honor Society (2001)
- Stonequist Award for Academic Excellence in Sociology, Skidmore College (2001)
- Summa cum laude, Skidmore College (2001)
- Undergraduate Paper Award, Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences (2001)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society (2000)
- Larson, M.J., Browne, C., Nikitin, R.V., Wooten, N.R., Ball, S., Adams, R.S., and Barth, K.. "Physicians Report Adopting Safer Opioid Prescribing Behaviors After Academic Detailing Intervention." Substance Abuse (2018). (forthcoming)
- Reif, S., Adams, R.S., Ritter, G.A., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Prevalence of Pain Diagnoses and Burden of Pain among Active Duty Soldiers, FY2012." Military Medicine (2018). (forthcoming)
- Barth, K.S., Ball, S., Adams, R.S., Nikitin, R., Wooten, N.R., Qureshi, Z.P., Larson, M.J.. "Development and feasibility of an academic detailing intervention to improve prescription monitoring program use among physicians serving military members and veterans." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions 37. 2 (2017): 98-105.
- Nakase-Richardson, R., Stevens, L.F., Tang, X., Lamberty, G., Sherer, M., Walker, W.C., Pugh, M.J., Eapen, B., Finn, J.A, Saylors, M., Dillahunt-Aspillaga, C., Adams, R.S., and Garafano, J.S.. "Comparison of the VA and NIDILRR TBI Model System Cohorts." Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 32. 4 (2017): 221-233.
- Vanneman M.E., Harris A.H.S., Chen. C., Adams R.S., Williams T.V., and Larson M.J.. "Postdeployment behavioral health screens and linkage to the Veterans Health Administration for Army Reserve Components." Psychiatric Services 68. 8 (2017): 803-809.
- Adams, R.S., Corrigan, J.D., Mohr, B.A., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Deployment Binge Drinking among Male and Female Army Active Duty Service Members Returning from Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom." Journal of Neurotrauma (2016): E-publication.
- Adams, R.S., Larson, M.J., Corrigan, J.D., Ritter, G.A., Horgan, C.M., Bray, R.M., and Williams, T.V.. "Combat-acquired Traumatic Brain Injury, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, and their Relative Associations with Postdeployment Binge Drinking." Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 31. 1 (2016): 13-22.
- Adams, R.S., Nikitin, R.V., Wooten, N.R., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "The Association of Combat Exposure with Postdeployment Behavioral Health Problems Among U.S. Army Enlisted Women Returning From Afghanistan or Iraq." Journal of Traumatic Stress 29. 4 (2016): 356-364.
- Larson, M.J., Mohr, Beth A., Jeffery, D.D., Adams, R.S., Williams, T.V.. "Predictors of Positive Illicit Drug Tests after OEF/OIF Deployment among Army Enlisted Service Members." Military Medicine 181. 4 (2016): 334-342.
- Wooten, N.R., Adams, R.S., Mohr, B.A., Jeffery, D.D., Funk, W., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Pre-deployment Year Mental Health Diagnoses and Treatment in Deployed Army Women." Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research 44. 4 (2016): 582-594.
- Vanneman, M.E., Harris, A.H.S., Chen, C., Mohr, B.A., Adams, R.S., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Army Active Duty Members’ Linkage to Veterans Health Administration Services after Deployments to Iraq or Afghanistan and Following Separation." Military Medicine 180. 10 (2015): 1052-1058.
- Harris, A., Chen, C., Mohr, B.A., Adams, R.S., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Predictors of Army National Guard and Reserve Members Use of Veteran Health Administration Health Care After Demobilizing from OEF/OIF Deployment." Military Medicine 179. 10 (2014): 1090-1098.
- Larson, M.J., Mohr, B.A., Adams, R.S., Wooten, N.R., and Williams, T.V.. "Missed Opportunity for Alcohol Problem Prevention among Active Duty Service Members Postdeployment." American Journal of Public Health 104. 8 (2014): 1402-1412.
- Adams, R.S., Larson, M.J., Corrigan, J.D., Ritter, G., and Williams, T.V.. "Traumatic Brain Injury among US Active Duty Military Personnel and Drinking-Related Negative Consequences." Substance Use & Misuse 48. (2013): 821-836.
- Corrigan, J.D., Adams, R.S., and Larson, M.J.. "When Addiction Co-occurs with Traumatic Brain Injury." The American Journal of Psychiatry 170. 4 (2013): 350-354.
- Larson, M. J., Ritter, G. A., Adams, R. S.. "Suicides Among Military Personnel." The Journal of the American Medical Association 310. 23 (2013): 2565.
- Larson, M.J., Adams, R.S., Mohr, B.A., Harris, A., Merrick, E., Funk, W., Hoffman, K., Wooten, N.R., Jeffery, D.D., and Williams, T.V.. "Rationale and methods of the substance use and psychological injury combat study (SUPIC): A longitudinal study of Army service members returning from deployment in FY2008-2011." Substance Use & Misuse 48. (2013): 863-879.
- Wooten, N.R., Mohr, B.A., Lundgren, L.M., Adams, R.S., Merrick, E.L., Williams, T.V., and Larson, M.J.. "Gender Differences in Substance Use Treatment Utilization the Year Prior to Deployment in Army Service Members." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 45. (2013): 257-265.
- Adams, R.S., Corrigan, J.D., and Larson, M.J.. "Alcohol Use after Combat-Acquired Traumatic Brain Injury: What We Know and Don’t Know." Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 12. 1 (2012): 28-51.
- Adams, R.S., Larson, M.J., Corrigan, J.D., Horgan, C.M, and Williams, T.V.. "Frequent Binge Drinking After Combat-Acquired Traumatic Brain Injury Among Active Duty Military Personnel With a Past Year Combat Deployment." Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 27. 5 (2012): 349-360.
- Larson, M.J, Mohr, B.A., Adams, R.S., Ritter, G., Perloff, J., Williams, T.V., Jeffery, D.D., and Tompkins, C.. "Association of Military Deployment of a Parent or Spouse and Changes in Dependent Use of Health Care Services." Medical Care 50. (2012): 821-828.
- Larson, M.J., Wooten, N.R., Adams, R.S., and Merrick, E. "Military Combat Deployments and Substance Use: Review and Future Directions." Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 12. 1 (2012): 6-27.