Theodore A. Johnson
Associate Professor of the Practice
Dr. Johnson is an Associate Professor of the Practice in the Masters Program in Conflict Resolution and Coexistence, and a Practicum Advisor for COEX and SIDCO students. Prior to his appointment in 2006, he was a Senior Program Manager and Legal Advisor to Conflict Management Group and Mercy Corps in Cambridge MA. During that time he worked extensively as an International Negotiation and Training Consultant for governments, corporations and international organizations. He has worked in post apartheid South Africa, in Cyprus with Greek and Turkish Cypriots towards bi-communal coexistence, with universities and political leaders in Northern and South Central Iraq to develop joint problem-solving skills and strategies. He has been an advisor to several UN Agencies including WHO, FAO, UNCTAD, and Codex Alimantarius - the UN international food safety organization. Prior to his international work, he was a Deputy District Attorney and Judge Pro Tem in Orange County California. He is a member of the California and American Bar Associations, and the American Society of International Law. He received a Juris Doctorate from Western State University in 1972, a Masters in International Law and Diplomacy (MALD) in 1993 from Tufts University, and a Ph.D. in International Relations from Tufts University's Fletcher School in 2009.
Awards and Honors
- Promotion to Associate Professor of the Practice (2016)
- Heller School 2014 Mentoring Award (2014)
- Johnson, Theodore A.. The Paralysis of Culture: Developing a Cultural Awareness Process To Increase Cross-Cultural Understanding in International Organizations; The Case of the World Health Organization. Diss. Tufts University, August 24, 2009. Medford MA: ProQuest / UMI; firstname.lastname@example.org, 2009.
- Johnson, Theodore A., Maureen Lempke and Steve Claborne. The Impacts of Negotiation Training at the World Health Organization; Assessing Change and a Roadmap for the Future. Mercy Corps. Portland, Oregon: 2007.
- Johnson,T., Chasen, A. & Ricigliano, R.. "Problems without a Process: Using an Action Dialogue to Manage Racial Tensions." Harvard Negotiation Law Review 4. Spring (1999).
- Johnson,Theodore. "Mediating Environmental Treaty Disputes and the International Court of Justice." Papers on International Environmental Negotiation. Ed. Susskind, L.E., Moomaw, W.R. & Najam, A.. Cambridge:, 1993
- Johnson, Theodore A. and Martin Dahl.. "Litigation Reduction in Workers Compensation - Yes or No?"." Western State University Law Review 1. 1 (1972).