Darren E. Zinner
Associate Professor; Associate Dean for Academic Personnel; Director, Heller Undergraduate Program and Associate Chair, Health: Science, Society and Policy (HSSP) Program
Darren Zinner is a Associate Dean for Academic Personnel at the Heller School of Social Policy & Management, both at Brandeis University. He is also Associate Chair of the Health: Science, Society, and Policy program, an interdisciplinary undergraduate major in healthcare. Dr. Zinner is also a senior member of Brandeis University’s Health Industry Forum, a policy consortium of major health insurers, delivery system managers, and biopharmaceutical and medical device firms.
Dr. Zinner’s research focuses on the management and structure of the U.S. healthcare enterprise. With the Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital Institute for Health Policy, he focuses on the management of science, especially how the funding and organization of scientific teams affects productivity and outcomes. He has conducted several national research surveys studying the implications of academic-industry relationships on the productivity and innovativeness of life scientists.
At the Heller School, Dr. Zinner studies how physicians and hospitals are responding to public and private healthcare reform to re-organize the compensation, structure, and information systems within provider organizations. He has managed national surveys of risk-based contracting among integrated physician groups, as well as conducted qualitative evaluations of capitation- and shared savings-based insurance demonstrations.
Prior to his academic appointment, Dr. Zinner worked for Covance Health Economics and Outcomes Services, where he led multiple consulting engagements concerning the clinical development, insurance reimbursement, and product launch strategy for novel biotech, pharmaceutical, and device products. Previously, he worked as a biomedical engineer designing and developing laparoscopic instruments for United States Surgical Corporation.
Dr. Zinner earned his doctoral degree in Health Policy from Harvard University, masters degree in Technology and Policy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and bachelors degree in mechanical engineering from Duke University. Dr. Zinner has published in leading medical journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, and Health Affairs, and is the inventor on two medical device patents.
- Afendulis CC, Hatfield LA, Landon BE, Gruber J, Landrum MB, Mechanic RE, Zinner DE, Chernew ME. "Early Impact Of CareFirst's Patient-Centered Medical Home With Strong Financial Incentives." Health Affairs 36. 3 (2017): 468-475.
- Mechanic R, Zinner DE. "Risk Contracting in Large Medical Groups During National Health Care Reform." American Journal of Managed Care 22. 6 (2016): 441-446.
- Zinner DE, Pham-Kanter G, Campbell EG. "The Changing Nature of Scientific Sharing and Withholding in Academic Life Sciences Research: Trends From National Surveys in 2000 and 2013." Academic Medicine 91. 3 (2016): 433-440.
- Pham-Kanter G, Zinner DE, Campbell EG. "Codifying collegiality: recent developments in data sharing policy in the life sciences." PLOS One 9. 9 (2014): e108451.
- Mechanic, R and Zinner, Darren E.. "Many Large Medical Groups will need to Acquire New Skills and Tools to be Ready for Payment Reform." Health Affairs 31. 9 (2012): 1984-1992.
- Campbell, Eric G; Zinner, Darren E. "Disclosing Industry Relationships - Toward an Improved Federal Research Policy." New England Journal of Medicine 363. 7 (2010): 604-606.
- DesRoches, Catherine M; Zinner, Darren E; Rao, Sowyma R; Iezzoni, Lisa I; Campbell, Eric G. "Activities, Productivity, and Compensation of Men and Women in the Life-Sciences." Academic Medicine 85. 4 (2010): 631-639.
- Zinner, Darren E; DesRoches, Catherine M; Bristol, Stephanie J; Clarridge Brian; Campbell, Eric G. "Tightening Conflict-of-Interest Policies: The Impact of the 2005 ethics Rules at the NIH." Academic Medicine 85. 11 (2010): 1685-1691.
- Zinner, Darren E. (with David Brunner, Lee Fleming, and Alan MacCormack). "R&D Project Selection and Portfolio Management: A Review of the Past, a Description of the Present, and a Sketch of the Future." Handbook of Technology and Innovation Management. Ed. Scott Shane. Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons, 2009. 215-238.
- Zinner, Darren E; Bolcic-Jankovic, Dragana; Clarridge, Brian; Campbell, Eric G. "Participation of Academic Scientists in Relationships with Industry." Health Affairs 28. 6 (2009): 1814-1825.
- Zinner, Darren E; Campbell, Eric G. "State of Life-Science Research within Academic Medical Centers." JAMA 302. 9 (2009): 969-76.
- Huckman, Robert S; Zinner, Darren E. "Does Focus Improve Operational Performance? Lessons from the Management of Clinical Trials." Strategic Management Journal 29. (2008): 173-193.
- Zinner, Darren E.. "Medical R&D at the Turn of the Millennium." Health Affairs 20. 5 (2001): 202-209.