James H Schulz
I have recently published (with Robert H. Binstock) a book entitled: "Aging Nation: The Economics and Politics of Growing Older in America (Praeger, 2006). I am currently working on an article for the "Handbook of Social Gerontology." In general, my primary research focus is on the policy implications of declining fertility rates and the actual and projected absolute population decline in nations all over the world.
- Schulz,James H. The Economics of Aging, 7 editions since 1974. 2001.
- Schulz,James H (Co-author). Older Women and Private Pensions in the United States. 2000.
- Schulz,James H. Older Women and Private Pensions in Australia. 2000.
- Schulz,James H. Older Women and Private Pensions in the United Kingdom. 2000.
- Schulz,James H. Saving, Growth, and Social Security: Fighting Our Children over Shares of the Future Economic Pie?. 1998.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-editor) Social Security in the 21st Century. 1997.
- Schulz,James H. Ageing in Asia: The Growing Need for Social Protection. 1997.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) The Economic Status of Divorced Older Women. 1993.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Economics of Population Aging: The "Greying" of Australia, Japan, and the United States. 1991.
- Schulz,James H. The World Aging Situation, 1991. 1991.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) When "Life-Time Employment" Ends: Older Worker Programs in Japan. 1989.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Private Expenditures Related to the Support of Younger and Older Persons not in the Labor Force. 1988.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) The Role of the Asset Test in Program Eligibility and Participation: The Case of SSI. 1988.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-editor) Aging China: Family, Economic, and Government Policies in Transition. 1987.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) State, Local, and Teachers Pensions: Coping with Inflation over the 1975-1982 Period. 1984.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Pension Integration: Concepts. 1983.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Private Pension Benefits in the 1970s -- A Study of Retirement and Survivor Benefit Levels in 1974 and 1979. 1982.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-editor) International Perspectives on Aging: Population and Policy Challenges. 1982.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Providing Adequate Retirement Income. 1974.
- Schulz,James H. Retirement, Background monograph for the 1971 White House Conference on Aging. 1971.
- Schulz,James H. (Co-author) Economics of Aging: Toward a Full Share in Abundance. 1969.
- Schulz,James H. Private Pensions -- Their Effect on the Economics of Aging. 1969.
- Schulz,James H. The Economic Status of the Aged in 1980. 1968.
Awards and Honors
- Citation from the Governor, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, for achievements in the fields of economics and gerontology (2000)
- Testimonial Award from the Secretary-General of the United Nations for "international aging research and other activities related to the International Year of Older Persons" (1999)
- Clark Tibbitts Award, for significant contributions in the advancement of gerontology as a field of study (1998)
- Fulbright Award to the United Kingdom 1998-99, University of Kent (1998)
- Award for "Outstanding Contributions in Gerontology" presented by University of Massachusetts, Boston (1987)
- The Downing Fellow in Social Economics, University of Melbourne (1985)
- Robert W. Kleemeier Award for outstanding research in aging (1983)
- Chairperson, Study Group on the Economics of Aging, 1982-1987 (1982)
- President, Gerontological Society of America, 1981-1982 (1981)
- Fulbright Award to Iran (1968)
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellow, 1961-65 (1961)
- Associate for Gerontology in Higher Education (1900)
- Founding Fellow, National Academy of Social Insurance (1900)
- Gerontological Society of America Fellow (1900)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1900)