Cynthia Ann Tschampl
Senior Research Associate
Cynthia A. Tschampl, PhD is Senior Research Associate at The Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University. She has 20 years' experience with U.S. and global health, starting with a policy and advocacy background (including work in Colombia and Haiti) and completing her doctoral research training in 2014. Dr. Tschampl’s research involves both quantitative and qualitative research methods. She has specialized in economic evaluations, including cost-effectiveness and cost-offsets analyses. Other research interests include access to oral healthcare, infectious diseases, healthcare for those experiencing homelessness, quality measurement, immigrant/migrant health, health disparities, and poverty reduction. Dr. Tschampl serves as Co-Chair for the Prevention Integration into Other Delivery Systems Subcommittees for the Massachusetts Medical Advisory Committee for the Elimination of Tuberculosis (MACET) and Co-Chair of Stop TB Massachusetts. She received the National TB Controller Association’s 2011 Charles DeGraw TB Award for outstanding service. She has also served as a member of the Partnership for Dengue Control.
Awards and Honors
- AcademyHealth Public Health Systems Research Student Scholarship (2014)
- James Schulz Dissertation Fund Grant (2014)
- Nominated for the $100,000 Grinnell Prize for Social Justice (2014)
- Outstanding Student Poster, AcademyHealth PHSR Interest Group (2014)
- Charles DeGraw Award from the National TB Controllers Association (2011)
- Training Fellowship, Agency for Healthcare and Quality Research (AHRQ) (2009 - 2010)
- Herman Kerner Fellowship (2008 - 2009)
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship to Chile (1999)
- One of four student teachers chosen for the Multicultural Antiracist Learning, Teaching, and Research program to South Africa (1998)
- Tschampl, Cynthia A.. "Pulling Back the Curtain: Tracking and costing out downstream outcomes of chronic dental pain." 12th World Congress, International Health Economics Association. Boston, MA. July 9, 2017. (forthcoming)
- Tschampl, CA, et al.. "Treatment Completion for Tuberculosis Infection in a Vulnerable Population as Bridge Case Management Intensifies." 21st Annual Meeting of The Union--North American Region. Vancouver, BC, Canada. February 24, 2017.
- Tiga, DC; Undurraga, EA; Ramos-Castañeda, J; Martínez-Vega, RA; Tschampl, CA; Shepard, DS.. "Persistent symptoms of dengue: estimates of the incremental disease and economic burden in Mexico." Am J Trop Med & Hygiene 94. 5 (2016): 1085-1089.
- Tschampl, CA, Razavi, M, Zuroweste, E, Garnick, D, Shepard, DS. "Treatment Completion for Tuberculosis Infection in a Mobile Population as Collaborative Bridge Case Management Intensifies." AcademyHealth Annual Reserach Meeting. Boston, MA. June 27, 2016.
- Tschampl, CA, et al.. "Transnational TB: Quantifying the problem and response from a U.S. perspective." 20th Annual Meeting of The Union--North American Region. Denver, CO. February 26, 2016.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A., Garnick, D.W., Zuroweste, E., Razavi, M., and Shepard, D.S.. "Use of transnational services to prevent treatment interruption in tuberculosis-infected persons who leave the United States." Emerging Infectious Diseases 22. 3 (2016): 417-425.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A.. "Downstream Impacts of Analgesic Use and Misuse, Secondary to Chronic Orofacial Pain." National Oral Health Conference. Cincinnati, OH. April 19, 2016.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A.. "Messaging: Lessons from research and practice." ENACT Institute. International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life. Waltham, MA. May 24, 2016.
- Gubler, DJ, Margolis, HS, Waterman, S, Teyssou, R, Longini, I, and Tschampl, CA. Partnership for Dengue Control Recommendations for the Introduction of the Sanofi-Pasteur Dengue Vaccine in Mexico. Mexico City, Mexico Partnership for Dengue Control: 2015.
- Halasa YA, Foley ME, Dellapenna M, Tschampl CA, Shepard DS. Broken Smiles: Oral Health and Employment. Washington, DC Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP Services Dental Association: 2015.
- Tschampl, CA, et al.. The Cost of Orofacial Pain. Washington, DC Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP Services Dental Association: 2015.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A., Zuroweste E., Garnick D., Razavi M., Shepard DS.. "Cost-effectiveness of Bridge Case Management for a Mobile Population Undergoing Treatment for Tuberculosis Infection." 19th Annual Meeting of The Union—North American Region. Vancouver, Canada. 27 February 2015.
- Zuroweste, E and Tschampl, CA. "Making the Case for TB Continuity of Care Planning for Homeless Patients." National Health Care for the Homeless Conference and Policy Symposium. Washington, DC. May 7, 2015.
- Tschampl, CA and Garvey, T. "Using Meaningful Use regulations to increase linkages between TB control efforts and clinical services." 18th Annual Meeting of The Union—North American Region. Boston, MA. 28 February 2014.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A. and Bernardo, John. "Community-Based Tuberculosis Prevention." 17th Annual Meeting of The Union--North American Region. Vancouver, BC, Canada. February 28, 2013.
- Tschampl, CA and Bernardo, J.. "Community based TB prevention: improving population health and decreasing Medicaid costs." New England TB Sympoisum. Cambridge, MA. June 28, 2012.
- Tschampl, Cynthia Ann. "Recommendations for Strategically Communicating Tuberculosis Research Findings and TB Control Best Practices." 16th Annual Conference of the The Union-North America Region. San Antonio, TX. February 24, 2012.
- Tschampl, C., Bernardo, J., Garvey, T., and Garnick, D. "A Boost for Elimination: Performance Measures Proposal for Latent TB Infection Testing in the Primary Care Sector." 15th Annual Meeting of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease-North American Region. Vancouver, BC, Canada. February 26, 2011.
- Tschampl, Cynthia Ann. "Strategies for Communicating Public Health Research Findings." National Conference on Health Communication, Marketing and Media. Atlanta, GA. August 10, 2011.
- Tschampl, Cynthia, Bernardo, J., Garvey, T., and Garnick, D. "The Need for Performance Measures on Testing for Latent Tuberculosis Infection in Primary Care." The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety 37. 7 (2011): 309-316.
- Shepard, D.S., Tschampl, C., Dubre, D., Hurley, C.L.. Homelessness Program Economic Evaluation Guide: Phase III Final Report. Waltham, MA Prepared for the Homelessness Resource Center, Center for Social Innovation: 2010.
- Tschampl, Cynthia. "Cultivating Public Health Nurse Leaders." Massachusetts Association of Public Health Nurses Annual Conference. Marlborough, MA. May 6, 2010.
- Tschampl, Cynthia. "Economic Implications of Third-Party Billing for Tuberculosis (TB) Services in Massachusetts." National Research Service Award (NRSA) Trainees Research Conference. Boston, MA. June 26, 2010.
- Tschampl, Cynthia. "Friends of the Hinton State Lab: A Booster Club for TB Control." 14th Annual Meeting of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease-North American Region. Orlando, FL. March 13, 2010.
- Tschampl, Cynthia. "Normalization of Testing for HIV: Should Everyone Be Tested? What Would We Gain? What Would We Lose?." International Center for Ethics, Justice, and Public Life: Ethical Inquiry Essay Series June (2010): <http://www.brandeis.edu/ethics/ethicalinquiry/2010/june.html>.
- Tschampl, Cynthia. "Talking About Government: Findings and Implications from DEMOS’ Public Works Research." RESULTS International Conference. Washington, DC. July 13, 2008.