Assistant Professor of the Philosophy of Justice, Rights and Social Change
email@example.com • Heller-Brown Building • 157 • 781-736-5338
General topics in applied moral and political philosophy; comparative religions; theories of justice; development ethics; theories of democracy; the works of Amartya Sen and the Human Development and Capabilities Approach
- HS 235f - Democracy and Development
- HS 259f - Topics in Sustainable Development
- HS 292f - Critical Thinking and Advanced Professional Writing
- HS 293f - Religion and Development
- HS 307f - Human Development and Capabilities Approach in Practice
- HS 319f - Ethics, Rights, and Development
- HS 801g - Proseminar
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Philosophical Look at International Economic Justice and the U.S. Supreme Court: Can Multinational Corporations Be Held Liable for Violations of Foreign Citizens’ Rights That Take Place in their Home Countries?." The Law and Society Association 2013 Annual Meeting: Power, Privilege and the Pursuit of Justice in Precarious Times, Boston, Massachusetts. 05/30/2013. (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Book Review." Rev. of Democracy, Islam, and Secularism in Turkey, by Ahmet Kuru and Alfred Stepan, eds.,. International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 3:2 2013 (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Framing the Field of Religion and Development." Rev. of Religion and Development: Ways of Transforming the World, by Gerrie Ter Haar, Ed.,. International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 4.2 2013 (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Measuring the Significance of Mismeasuring our Lives: A Philosopher's Response to the Report by the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress by Joseph Stiglitz, Amartya Sen and Jean-Paul Fitoussi." Fourth International Journal of Arts and Sciences Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. 05/26/2013. (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Religion, Justice and Development: A Theological Response to the Secular Frameworks of Rawls and Sen." International Journal of Religion and Society 3. 1 (2013). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Effective Nexus of Development Action and Public Policy." Rev. of Rethinking Development Challenges for Public Policy: Insights From Contemporary Africa, by K. Hanson, G. Kararach, and T. Shaw, eds. Development in Practice vol. 23.1 06/01/2013 (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Spiritual Dimensions of Poverty: Revisiting Gutierrez's A Theology of Liberation." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 2 (2013). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Minority Rights and the Chinese Central Party's Doctrine of the Scientific Development Concept." Harvard Project For Asian and International Relations 2013 Conference: East Meets West- Sustainable Development in the 21st Century. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. 02/15/2013.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ricoeur's Philosophical Ethics and its Significance for Judging American Debates on Physician-Assisted Suicide." Annual Three Rivers Philosophy Conference 2013, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina. 04/12/2013.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Capabilities Approach to Intellectual Property and Global Justice." Rev. of From the Goods to A Good Life: Intellectual Property and Global Justice, by Madhavi Sunder. Law and Society Review vol. 47.2 06/01/2013
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Comparison of the Hermeneutic Strategies of Ricoeur and Rawls on Global Justice." Society for Ricoeur Studies Conference, Rochester, New York. 11/03/2012.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Empirical Realities of Just Development in Sen's Idea of Justice." 2012 Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, New York City, New York. 02/25/2012.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Morality, Ethics and Justice in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit as an Antipode to Rawls's A Theory of Justice." Northern New England Philosophical Association Annual Conference, Department of Philosophy, University of Massachusetts, Lowell. 10/19/2012.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Idea of the Nation-State and the Right to Development." 3rd International Journal of Arts and Sciences Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. 05/27/2012.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Relation of Rights and Economics." Rev. of Economic Policy and Human Rights: Holding Governments to Account, by Radhika Balakrishnan and Diane Elson, eds. Development in Practice vol. 22.8 11/01/2012: 1149-1151.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Theoretical Contribution to the UN Discussion on Indigenous Rights- A Response to the Human Rights Council Resolution 18/8: Indigenous Peoples’ Language and Culture." Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and Human Rights Council 18/8. 18/8 (2011): <http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/IPeoples/EMRIP/Pages/SubmissionsStudyLanguages.aspx>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ethical Arguments for Global Economic Distributive Justice and and Global Institutional Frameworks." 17th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference: Moving Toward a Sustainable Future, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York City, New York. 05/10/2011.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Philosophy of Development Economics." Schumpeter's Heritage: The Evolution of the Theory of Evolution, The Research Group Economics of the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria. 10/01/2011.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Submission in Response to Human Rights Council Resolution 15/25: The Right to Development." Intergovernmental Working Group- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Human Rights Council 15/25. 15/25 (2011): <http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Development/Pages/HighLevelTaskForceWrittenContributions.aspx>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time, History, Eternity and Eschatology as the Basis of Pannenberg's Theological Method." 1st Annual Southwestern Continental Philosophy Conference, Department of Philosophy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico. 05/01/2010.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Between and Beyond the Dialectic and Analogy: On Barth's Theological Method." American Academy of Religion Western Region Annual Meeting, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California. 03/22/2009.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Reading Heidegger on Time and History." Memory, Humanity and Meaning. 1 ed. vol. 1 Ed. Mihail Neamtu and Bogdan Taratu-Cazaban. Bucharest: Zeta Books, 2009. 365-380.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "An Onto-Theological Reading of Derrida's Of Grammatology in Light of the Temporal Dynamics of Exodus 3:14." Theology and Religious Reflection Section of the American Academy of Religion International Meeting and International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, Auckland, New Zealand. 07/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ecstatic Historical Time and the Eclipse of Christianity in Heidegger's "Hegel and the Greeks"." Proceedings of the XXII World Congress of Philosophy 45. 1 (2008): 305-311 <http://secure.pdcnet.org/wcp22/content/wcp22_2008_0045_0305_0311>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Experiencing the Transformation of the Divine in Heidegger's 1942 Lecture on Hegel's Concept of Experience." 2008 Heidegger Circle Conference, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois. 05/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "In the Revelatory Light of the Chiasmic Entwining." Rev. of The Phenomenology of Religious Life, by Martin Heidegger. Arhe vol. 5 2008: 221-228.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time and Death in the Thought of Hans Urs Von Balthasar and Martin Heidegger." Christian Faith and Metaphysical Reason Between East and West, Andrew Mellon Foundation and New College Europe, Bucharest, Romania. 03/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Philosophical-Historical Foundations of Heidegger's Phenomenology of Religious Life Lectures." Heidegger und die Dichtung, Martin Heidegger-Forschungsgruppe and Centre des Etudes Heideggeriennes, Messkirch, Germany. 05/28/2006.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Introduction." Saving our Global Heritage. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Global Heritage Fund. Palo Alto: Global Heritage Fund, 2004. 12-27.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Problem of the Parousia in the Philosophies of Kierkegaard and Heidegger." Annual Meeting of the American Philosophical Association- Pacific Region, San Francisco, California. 04/01/2004.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Heidegger, Logic and Problems in Christian Theology." Martin Heidegger und die Logik, Katholische Akademie, Freiburg, Germany. 05/28/2002.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time and the Abgrund in Heidegger's Beitraege." 21st Annual Heidegger Symposium, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas. 04/20/2001.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Four-Dimensional Time." Annual Meeting of the American Philosophical Association- Eastern Region, New York City, New York. 12/01/2000.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Re-Spiriting Hegel and the Passage of Deconstruction: Jean Hyppolite and the General Theory of Epochal Transformation." Journal of Speculative Philosophy 14. 1 (2000): 36-61.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time's Impossibility: The Holocaust and the Historicity of History." Contemporary Portrayals of Auschwitz: Philosophical Challenges. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. James Watson, Alan Rosenberg, Detlef Linke. Amherst: Humanity's Books, 2000. 283-296.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time of Consumption and the Consumption of Time." The Politics of Human Rights. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Orad Savic. London: Verso Press, 1999. 268-273.
- Sampath, Rajesh. Four-Dimensional Time: Twentieth Century Philosophies of History in Europe. 1st ed. Latham: University Press of America, 1999.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Consumption of Time and the Time of Consumption: Consumer Society and the "End" of History." Consumption, Markets and Culture 2. 4 (1998): 457-462.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Heidegger, Culture, and the Origin of Historical Time." International Readings on Theory, History and Philosophy of Culture. 1 ed. vol. 4 Ed. Lubava Moreva. St. Petersburg: Russian Institute for Philosophical and Cultural Resarch: EIDOS Center, 1997. 394-401.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Superseding Deconstruction: Blanchot, Hegel, and the Theory of Epochs." Qui Parle 10. 2 (1997): 61-88.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Foucault, Historical Time, and the Origin of Man." Culture and Value: Philosophy and the Cultural Sciences. vol. 3 Ed. Kjell S. Johannessen and Tore Nordenstam. Kirchberg am Wechsel: The Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 1995. 412-417.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Historicity of Archaeology." Symploke 3. 2 (1995): 135-163.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Space of War and the Time of Media." Belgrade Circle 1. 2 (1995).
Raj completed his PhD at the University of California, Irvine in the humanities where he studied under the French philosopher Jacques Derrida, the founder of deconstruction. Subsequently, he did a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California, Berkeley and a D.A.A.D. research scientist fellowship in Germany where he published articles in continental European philosophy. From 2006-2009, he was an adjunct lecturer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and continued to serve on the Provost Council for College Eight at the University until June 2012. His current research interests and disciplinary expertise include the following: twentieth century Anglo-American and European moral and political philosophy, theories of modernization and social-historical change, epistemology and the sociology of knowledge in comparative religious studies, and comparisons of Western philosophy and traditional African, Indian and Chinese philosophy. Teaching interests include the Anglo-American, European and Global South traditions of philosophical ethics and theories of justice when applied to sustainable development issues.
In the summer of 2010 he volunteered with the Jesuit Refugee Services in Rome. In the summer of 2011 he visited different universities in Ghana to learn more about their development studies curricula while visiting development projects in the rural villages of Northern Ghana. In the summer of 2012 he visited with Jesuit academic faculty at St. Xavier's College in Mumbai, India to explore collaborations on social justice initiatives and worked with the Center for Social Justice and Governance at the Tata Institute for Social Sciences offering guest lectures and participating in several discussion groups on development ethics and global justice research and curricula.
Recently, he joined the core faculty in the new Masters Degree Program in Comparative Humanities within the Division of the Humanities and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Berkeley
Awards and Honors
- Member, Council of European Studies Rsearch Network- Historical Study of States and Regimes, Columbia University (2013)
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Religion and Society (2012)
- Member of the Development Studies Association (2012)
- American Academy of Religion: Member of the International Development and Religion Working Group (2011)
- Association of American Geographers: "Ask A Geographer Resource: Geography of Religion and Belief Systems" (2011)
- Member of the Committee on Religion and Faith in the Public Square (2011)
- Member of the Human Development and Capabilities Association (2011)
- Member of the International Development Ethics Association (2011)
- Member of the American Philosophical Association's Research Working Group: "Philosophers for Jesuit Education" (2010)
- Fellow, College Eight, University of California, Santa Cruz (2006)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst, Research Scientist Fellow, Bremen Universitaet (1999)
- Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (1996 - 1998)