Jennifer N. Perloff
Scientist and Lecturer
Jennifer Perloff, Ph.D. is a Scientist and Deputy Director at the Institute for Healthcare Systems within the Schneider Institutes for Health Policy. Dr. Perloff has over fifteen years of experience in evaluation and health services research with a strong emphasis on health care claims analysis. She has been involved in numerous episode/bundle based payment models, including the development of the CMMI Episode Grouper for Medicare (PD, Chris Tompkins). Dr. Perloff also works on the cost, quality and efficiency of nurse practitioner delivered primary care. This work uses a national Medicare claims database to compare NP and MD delivered services. The project team has paid special attention to methodological issues associated with provider comparisons, such as selection bias, attribution and risk adjustment. Dr. Perloff is also working as part of a team providing analytic support to participants in bundled payment for care improvement (BPCI). Other projects include developing a method to assess the value of Medicare Advantage Health Plans, assessing the cost and quality of care delivered in the 17 Beacon communities along with numerous evaluations of services for homeless families and adults. Dr. Perloff also participates in numerous dissertation committees.
- Ulrike Muench, Chaoran Guo, Cindy Thomas, Jennifer Perloff. "Medication Adherence, Costs, and ER Visits of Nurse Practitioner and Primary Care Physician Patients: Evidence from Three Cohorts of Medicare Beneficiaries." Health Services Research (2018). (forthcoming)
- Daras LC, Ingber MJ, Deutsch A, Hefele JG, Perloff J. "Geographic region and profit status drive variation in hospital readmission outcomes among inpatient rehabilitation facilities in the united states." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 99. 6 (2018): 1060-1066.
- Ladin K, Emerson J, Butt Z, Gordon EJ, Hanto DW, Perloff J, et al.. "How important is social support in determining patients’ suitability for transplant? Results from a National Survey of transplant clinicians." Journal of Medical Ethics (2018).
- Muench U, Perloff J, Thomas C, Buerhaus PI. "Prescribing practices by nurse practitioners and primary care physicians: A descriptive analysis of Medicare Beneficiaries." Journal of Nursing Regulation 8. 1 (2017): 21-30.
- Quinn AE, Hodgkin D, Perloff JN, Stewart MT, Brolin M, Lane N, Horgan CM. "Design and impact of bundled payment for detox and follow-up care." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 82. (2017): 113-121.
- Perloff, Jennifer N.. "Role of Geography and Nurse Practitioner Scope-of-Practice in Efforts to Expand Primary Care System Capacity Health Reform and the Primary Care Workforce." MEDICAL CARE 54. 1 (2016): 81-89.
- Perloff, Jennifer N.. "Comparing the cost of care provided to Medicare beneficiaries assigned to primary care nurse practitioners and physicians." Health Services Research 51. 4 (2015): 1475-6773.
- Weinberg D, Perloff J, Cooney-Miner D. Final Report: Role of Nurses’ Education in Shaping Patient Outcomes. National Counsel of States Board of Nursing. Chicago, IL: 2009.
- Minden SL, Hoaglin DC, Hadden L, Frankel D, Robbins T, Perloff J. "Access to and utilization of neurologists by people with multiple sclerosis." Neurology 70. 13 (Pt 2) (2008): 1141-1149.
- Minden SL, Frankel D, Hadden L, Perloff J, Srinath KP, Hoaglin DC. "The Sonya Slifka Longitudinal Multiple Sclerosis Study: methods and sample characteristics.." Multiple Sclerosis 12. 1 (2006): 24-38.
- Weinreb L, Perloff J, Goldberg R, Lessard D, Hosmer DW. "Factors associated with health service utilization patterns in low-income women." Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 17. 1 (2006): 180-199.
- Tompkins C, Perloff JN. "An Analysis of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services under Managed Care in Arizona." Journal of Behavioral Health and Services Research 31. 1 (2004): 98-110.
- Tompkins, C.P., Perloff, J.. "Using Information to Guide Managed Behavioral Health Care." Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research 31. 1 (2004): 98-110.
- Weinreb LW, Wheler C, Perloff JN. "Anxiety, health and hunger in extremely low-income children." Pediatrics 110. 4 (2002): e41.
- Bassuk EL, Perloff JN, Dawson R. "Multiply Homeless Families: The Insidious Impact of Violence." Journal of Housing Policy 12. 2 (2001): 299-320.
- Bassuk EL, Buckner JC, Perloff JN, Bassuk SS. "Prevalence of Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders Among Homeless and Low-Income Housed Mothers." The American Journal of Psychiatry 155. 11 (1998): 1561-1564.
- Bassuk EL, Perloff JN, Coll CG. "The Plight of Extremely Poor Puerto Rican and White Single Mothers." Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 33. (1998): 326-336.