firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 255 • 781-736-3966
Quality of Care, Performance Measures, Substance Abuse Treatment
- Acevedo. A, Garnick, DW, Dunigan, R, Horgan, CM, Ritter, GA, Lee, MT, Panas, L, Campbell, K, Haberlin, K, A, Lambert-Wacey, D, Leeper, T, Reynolds, M, & Wright, D.. "Performance measures and racial/ethnic disparities in the treatment of substance use disorders." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 76. 57-67 (2015).
- Dunigan, R, Acevedo, A, Campbell, K, Garnick, DW, Horgan, CM, Huber, A, Lee, MT, Panas, L, & Ritter, GA.. "Engagement in outpatient substance abuse treatment and employment outcomes.." Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 41. 1 (2014): 20-36.
- Garnick, DW, Horgan, CM, Acevedo, A, Lee, MT, Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Dunigan, R, Bidorini, A, Campbell, K, Haberlin, K, Huber, A, Lambert-Wacey, D, Leeper, T, Reynolds, M, &Wright, D.. "Criminal Justice Outcomes after Engagement in Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment.." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 46,. (2014): 295-305..
- Lee, MT, Horgan, CM, Garnick, DW, Acevedo, A, Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Dunigan, R, Babakhanlou-Chase, H, Bidorini, A, Campbell, K, Habelin, K, Huber, A, Lambert-Wacey, D, Leeper, T, Reynolds, M.. "A performance measure for continuity of care after detoxification: Relationship with outcomes." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 47. 2 (2014): 130-139.
- Acevedo, A., Garnick, D.W., Lee, M.T., Horgan, C.M., Ritter, G., Panas, L., Davis, S., Leeper, T., Moore, R., Reynolds, M.. "Racial/Ethnic Differences in Substance Abuse Treatment Initiation and Engagement.." Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse 11. (2012): 1-21.
- Garnick, DW, Lee, MT, O'Brien, ML, Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Acevedo, A, Garner, BR, Funk, RR, Godley, MD.. "The Washington Circle Engagement Performance Measures' Association with Adolescent Treatment Outcomes.." Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 124. (2012): 250-258.
- Lee, MT, Garnick, DW, O'Brien, PL, Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Acevedo, A, Garner, BR, Funk, RR, Godley, MD.. "Adolescent treatment initiation and engagement in an evidence-based practice initiative." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 42. 4 (2012): 346-355.
- Garnick, D.W., Lee, M.T., Horgan, C., Acevedo, A, Botticelli, M., Clark, S., Davis, S., Gallati, R., Haberlin, K., Hanchett, A., Lambert –Wacey, D., Leeper, T. Siemianowski, J., Tikoo, M.. "Lessons from Five States: Public Sector Use of Washington Circle Performance Measures.." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 40. (2011): 241-254.
- Garner, BR, Godley, MD, Funk, RR, Lee, MT, Garnick, DW.. "The Washington Circle continuity of care performance measure: Predictive validity with adolescents discharged from residential treatment.." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 38. 1 (2010): 3-11.
- Garnick, DW, Lee, MT, Horgan, CM, Acevedo, A, and the Washington Circle Public Sector Workgroup.. "Adapting Washington Circle performance measures for public sector substance abuse treatment systems.." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 36. 3 (2009): 265-277.
- Garnick, DW, Horgan, CM, Lee, MT., Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Davis, S, Leeper, T, Moore, R., & Reynolds, M.. "Are Washington Circle Performance Measures Associated With Decreased Criminal Activity Following Treatment?." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 33,. (2007): 341-352.
- Lee, MT, Garnick, DW, Horgan, CM, Cavanaugh, DA.. "Constructing Adolescent Substance Abuse Performance Measures Using Administrative Data." Journal for Healthcare Quality 28. 3 (2006): 42-48,55.
- Ritter, GA, Reif, S, Gadzuk, A, Krenzke, T, Mohadjer, L, Lee, M, Horgan, C.. "Incentive effects on cooperation rates and sample composition in the Alcohol and Drug Services Study." Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 30. (2005): 171-189.
- Lee, MT, Garnick, DW, Miller, K, Horgan, CM.. "Adolescents with substance abuse: Are health plans missing them?." Psychiatric Services 55. 2 (2004): 116.
- Lee, MT, Reif, S, Ritter, GA, Levine, HJ, & Horgan, CM.. Alcohol and Drug Services Study (ADSS) Phase II: Client Record Abstract Report. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Rockville, MD: 2004.
- Garnick, DW, Lee, MT, Chalk, M, Gastfriend, D, Horgan, CM, McCorry, F, McLellan, AT, Merrick, EL.. "Establishing the Feasibility of Performance Measures for Alcohol and Other Drugs." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 23. (2002): 375-385.
- Horgan, CM, Reif, S, Ritter, GA, & Lee, MT. "Organizational and financial issues in the delivery of substance abuse treatment services." Recent Developments in Alcoholism. vol. 15: Services Research in the Era of Managed Care Ed. M. Galanter. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2001
- Lee, MT, Reif, S, Ritter, GA, Levine, HJ, & Horgan, CM. "Access to services in the substance abuse treatment system: Variations by facility characteristics." Recent Developments in Alcoholism. vol. 15: Services Research in the Era of Managed Care Ed. M. Galanter. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2001
- Sederer, L.I. & Lee, M.T.. "Professional satisfaction and compensation." Acute Care Psychiatry: Diagnosis and Treatment .. Ed. L.I. Sederer & A.J Rothschild. Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins, 1997
Margaret T. Lee, Ph.D., is a Research Scientist at the Institute for Behavioral Health located within Brandeis University’s Heller School for Social Policy and Management. Her current work is in the areas of treatment quality and performance measurement.
Her work focuses on the development and testing of substance abuse performance measures, examining factors that predict client adherence to performance measure criteria, and examining the relationship between meeting performance measures and outcomes. Dr. Lee was part of the research team that pilot tested the Washington Circle (WC) substance abuse performance measures using data from commercial health plans. As a member of the Washington Circle Public Sector Workgroup, she worked with 12 states to adapt the WC substance abuse performance measures for use by state agencies for continuous quality improvement. As a result of working with the WC Public Sector Workgroup, she collaborated with five state agencies to test the WC measures by examining the relationship between adult client level achievement of WC performance measure criteria and client outcomes. The outcomes studied included criminal justice involvement, employment, and readmission to detoxification.
In addition, her research has examined client and facility level variables associated with adolescents’ meeting the criteria for two of the WC measures: treatment initiation and engagement. This research also examined the association between meeting process measures and improved outcomes for an adolescent population..
Her current research includes a randomized study that examines the effects of alerts (information regarding specific client performance) and provider incentives on treatment engagement and continuity of care rates in Washington State. Another current study examines the influence of recovery support navigators and client incentives on continuity of care after detoxification in a Medicaid population.
University of California, Berkeley
CUNY Hunter College
Cuny Lehman College