Harry Coplan Professor of Social Sciences
firstname.lastname@example.org • Pearlman Hall • 102 • 781-736-2635
Sociology of health and illness. Deviance. Field methods. Medicalization of Society. Public Discourse concerning the new genetics. Sociology of ADHD.
- EL 94a - Experiential Learning Practicum
- HSSP 110a - Integrative Seminar on Health
- SOC 176a - Nature, Nurture, and Public Policy
- SOC 191a - Health, Community, and Society
- SOC 194a - Sociology of Mental Health and Illness
- SOC 208a - Social Problems Theory and Research
- SOC 217a - Problems and Issues in the Sociology of Health and Illness
- Conrad, Peter and Miranda Waggoner. ""Anticipatory Medicalization: Predisposition, Prediction, and Proto-disease in Expanding Medical Conditions”." Journal of Predictive, Preventive and Personalized Medicine (2016). (forthcoming)
- Meredith Bergey and Conrad, Peter. ""The Rise and Transformation of ADHD in the United States"." Global Perspectives on ADHD. Ed. Meredith Bergey et al.. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2016 (forthcoming)
- Conrad, Peter and Meredith Bergey. "Medicalization: Sociological and Anthropological Perspectives." International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, second edition.. 2015. (forthcoming)
- Conrad, Peter and Miranda Waggoner. ""Medicalization"." Blackwell Encyclopedia of Health and Society. London: Blackwell, 2013 (forthcoming)
- Conrad, Peter, Julia Bandini and Alexandria Vasquez. ""The Internet and Illness: From Private to Public Experience"." HEALTH: An Interdisciplinary journal 20. 1 (2016): 22-32.
- Meredith Bergey, Angela Filepe, Peter Conrad and Ilina Singh, ed. Global Perspectives on ADHD. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2016.
- Conrad, Peter. "Forward." Reimagining (Bio)medicalization, Pharmaceuticals and Genetics: Old Critiques and New Engagements. Ed. Susan Bell and Anne Figert. Routledge, 2015
- Conrad, Peter and Catherine Tan. "Autism, the Internet and Medicalization.." The Public Shaping of Medical Research: Patient Associations, Health Movements and Biomedicine. Ed. Willy Viehouver and Peter Wehling. Routledge, 2014
- Conrad, Peter and Meredith Bergey. ""The Impending Globalization of ADHD: Notes on the Expansion and Growth of a Medicalized Disorder"." Social Science and Medicine 122. (2014): 31-43.
- Conrad, Peter and Allan V. Horwitz. "Marketing Neuropsychiatric Illness and Enhancement." Neuroethics in Practice. Ed. A. Chattergee and M. Farah. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013
- Conrad, Peter and Caitln Slodden. ""The Medicalization of Mental Disorder"." Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health. Second ed. Ed. C. Aneshensal and J. Phelan. New York: Springer, 2013
- Conrad, Peter and Valerie Leiter, ed. Sociology of Health and Illness: Critical Perspectives. Ninth Edition ed. New York: Worth Publishers, 2013.
- Conrad, Peter. ""Medicalization: Changing Contours, Characteristics and Contexts"." Health Sociology on the Move: New Directions in Theory. Ed. William Cockerham. London: Oxford Blackwell, 2013
- Conrad, Peter and Thomas Mackie. "Opiate Addiction: A Revival of Medical Involvement." Drugs and Cultures. Ed. Maitena Milhat. Ashgate, 2011
- Conrad, Peter. ""Medicalization"." Hastings Center Report 41. 2 (2011): 13.
- Conrad, Peter. "Forward to Annemarie Jutel (book)." Putting a Name ot it: Diagnosis in Contemporary Society. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011. 1-3.
- Chloe Bird, Peter Conrad, Allen Fremont, and Stefan Timmermans. Handbook of Medical Sociology. 6th ed. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press, 2010.
- Conrad, Peter and Cheryl Stults. "Internet and the Experience of Illness." Handbook of Medical Sociology. vol. 6th edition Ed. Chloe Bird, Peter Conrad, Allen Fremont, and Stefan Timmermans. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press, 2010. 179-91.
- Conrad, Peter and Kristin Barker. "The Social Construction of Illness: Key Insights and Policy Implications." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51. Extra Issue (2010): S70-S79.
- Conrad, Peter, Phyllis Carr, Sharon Knight , Megan Renfrew, Mary Dunn, and Linda Piloli. "Hierarchy as a Barrier to Advancement for Women in Academic Medicine." Journal of Women's Health 19. 4 (2010): 799-805.
- Conrad, Peter, Thomas Mackie, and Attev Mehrotra. "Estimating the Costs of Medicalization." Social Science and Medicine 70. (2010): 1943-47.
- Conrad, Peter. "Pills and the Pursuit of Happiness and Normalcy." Contexts Spring (2010).
- Peter Conrad and Vanessa Lopes Munoz. "The Medicalization of Chronic Pain." Tidsskrift for Forskning i Sygdom og Samfund 13. (2010): 13-24.
- Stults Cheryl and Peter Conrad. ""Medicalization and Risk Scares: The Case of Menopause and HRT"." The Risks of Prescription Drugs. Ed. Donald Light. New York: Columbia University Press, 2010. 120-42.
- Conrad, Peter, ed. Sociology of Health and Illness: Critical Perspectives (Eighth Edition). New York: Worth Publishing, 2009.
- Piloli, Linda, Peter Conrad, Phyllis Carr and Sharon Knight. "A Study of the Relational Aspects of Academic Medicine." Academic Medicine 84. January (2009): 106-114.
- Conrad, Peter and Valerie Leiter. "From Lydia Pinkham to Queen Levitra: DTCA and Medicalization." Sociology of Health and Illness 30. (2008): 825-38.
- Conrad, Peter and Cheryl Stults. "Contestation and Medicalization." Contesting Illness.. Ed. Pamela Moss and Kathy Teghtsoonian (eds.). Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2008
- Shostak Sara, Peter Conrad and Allan Horwitz. "Sequencing and its Consequences: Path Dependence and the Relationship between Genetics and Medicalization." American Journal of Sociology 114. S1 (2008): S287-316.
- Conrad, Peter. "Eliot Freidson's Revolution in Medical Sociology.." Health 11. (2007): 141-44.
- Conrad, Peter. The Medicalization of Society: On the Transformation of Human Conditions into Treatable Disorders. Baltimore:: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2007.
- Szymczak, Julia and Peter Conrad ,. "Medicalizing the Aging Male Body: Baldness and Andropause." Medicalized Masculinities,. Ed. Dana Rosenfeld and Christopher Faircloth. Philadelphia:: Temple University Press,, 2006
- Conrad,Peter. "The Shifting Engines of Medicalization." Journal of Health and Social Behavior (2005): 3-14.
- Conrad,Peter. Sociology of Health and Illness: Critical Perspectives (7th edition). Worth Publishers, 2005.
- Conrad,Peter. "Human Growth Hormone and the Temptations of Biomedical Enhancement." Sociology of Health and Illness. Ed. Deborah Potter. Blackwell, 2004. 184-215.
- Conrad,Peter, Valerie Leiter (eds.). Health and Health Care as Social Problems. Rowman and Littlefield, 2003.
- Conrad,Peter, co-ed.. The Double-Edged Helix: Social Implications of Genetics in a Diverse Society. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002.
- Conrad,Peter, co-ed. with Chloe Bird and Allen Fremont. Handbook of Medical Sociology (5th edition). Prentice Hall, 2000.
- Conrad,Peter. Sociological Perspectives on the New Genetics (co-ed. Jonathan Gabe). Oxford: Blackwell, 1999.
- Conrad,Peter, co-ed. Eugene Gallagher. Health and Health Care in Developing Countries: Sociological Perspectives. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1993.
- Conrad,Peter, w/ Joseph W. Schneider. Deviance and Medicalization: From Badness to Sickness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1992.
- Conrad,Peter, with Julius Roth. The Experience and Management of Chronic Illness. JAI Press, 1988.
- Conrad,Peter, with Joseph W. Schneider. Having Epilepsy: The Experience and Control of Illness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1983.
- Conrad,Peter. Identifying Hyperactive Children: The Medicalization of Deviant Behavior (expanded edition, forthcoming from Ashgate Publishers, 2006). Lexington: D.C. Heath, 1976.
Teaches in medical sociology & qualitative research. Most recent book, The Medicalization of Society (2007), on origins & consequences of the growth of medical jurisdiction over human problems. New research projects on globalization of ADHD and illness on the Internet..
State University of New York at Buffalo
Awards and Honors
- Lee Founder's Award (from Society for Study of Social Problems, for lifetime contributions) (2007)
- Leo G. Reeder Award for "outstanding contributions to medical sociology," Medical Sociology Section, ASA (2003)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1996 - 1997)
- President, Society for the Study of Social Problems (1995 - 1996)
- Chair, Medical Sociology Section, American Sociology Association (1988 - 1989)
- National Institute of Mental Health National Research Service Award (1986)
- Chas. Horton Cooley award for an outstanding recent contribution to the field of symbolic interaction (1981)
- Honorable Mention, Social Issues Dissertation Award, Sociology for Psychological Study of Social Issues (1976)