Senior Scientist and Lecturer
firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 251 • 781-736-3834
Behavioral health services research; pain management; prescription opioid utilization; longitudinal data analysis; clinical trials; military health system; behavioral health of military members, veterans and families; harm reduction for out-of-treatment individuals; addiction treatment gap; evaluation of system change; adoption of evidence-based practice; web-training; academic detailing
- HS 503f - Global Mental Health: Policy, Programs and Country Plans
- Adams Rachel S, Larson Mary Jo, Corrigan John D, Ritter Grant A, Horgan Connie M, Bray Robert M, Williams Thomas V. "Combat-acquired traumatic brain injury, posttraumatic stress disorder, and their relative associations with postdeployment binge drinking." Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation (2014). (forthcoming)
- Harris Alex S, Chen C, Mohr Beth A, Adams Rachel Sayko, Williams Thomas V, Larson Mary Jo. "Predictors of Army National Guard and Reserve Members Use of Veterans Health Administration Health Care After Demobilizing from OEF/OIF Deployment." Military Medicine (2014). (forthcoming)
- Wilmoth MC, Linton A, Gromadzki R, Larson, Mary Jo, Willams TV, Woodson J. "Factors associated with psychiatric evacuation among Service members deployed to Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, January 2004 – September 2010." Military Medicine 180. 1 (2015): 53-60.
- Davis MT, Mulvaney-Day N, Larson, Mary Jo, Hoover R, Mauch D.. "Complementary and alternative therapies among military personnel, an analysis of population surveys." Medical Care 180. 1 (2014): 53-60.
- Harris AS, Chen C, Mohr BA, Adams RS, Willams TV, Larson, Mary Jo. "Predictors of Army National Guard and Reserve Members Use of Veterans Health Administration Health Care After Demobilizing from OEF/OIF Deployment." Military Medicine 179. 10 (2014): 1090-1098.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Mohr BA, Lorenz LS, Grayton C, Williams TV. "General and Specialist Health Care Utilization in Military Children of Army Service Members Who Are Deployed, chapter 6.." Military Deployment and its Consequences for Families. vol. 2 Ed. S.M. Wadsworth & D. Riggs. New York NY: Springer, 2014. 87-110.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Mohr Beth A, Adams Rachel Sayko, Wooten Nikki R, Williams Thomas V. "Missed Opportunity for Alcohol Problem Prevention among Active Duty Service Members Postdeployment." Amer J of Public Health 104. 8 (2014): 1402-1412.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Ritter, Grant A, Adams Rachel Sayko. "Suicides among military personnel." JAMA 310. 23 (2014): 2565.
- Adams, Rachel S; Larson, Mary Jo; Corrigan John D; Ritter, Grant; Williams Thomas V. "Traumatic brain injury among active duty military personnel and drinking-related consequences." Substance Use & Misuse 48. 10 (2013): 821-36.
- Corrigan, John D; Adams, Rachel S; Larson, Mary Jo. "When addiction co-occurs with traumatic brain injury." The American Journal of Psychiatry 170. 4 (2013): 351-354.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Adams RS; Mohr BA; Harris AHS, Merrick EL; Funk W; Hoffman K; Wooten NR; Jeffery DD; Williams TV. "Rationale and Methods of the substance use and psychological injury combat study (SUPIC): A longitudinal study of Army service members returning from deployment in FY2008-2011." Substance Use & Misuse 48. 10 (2013): 863-79.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Amodeo Maryann, LoCastro Joseph; Muroff, Jordana; Smith L; Gerstenberger E. "Randomized trial of web-based training to promote counselor use of cognitive behavioral therapy skills in client sessions." Substance Abuse April-June; 34. 2 (2013): 179-87.
- Larson, Mary Jo; Lorenz, Laura S. Upstream Opportunities for Reducing the Harm of Alcohol and Other Drug Use. Waltham MA Institute for Behavioral Health, Brandeis University: 2013.
- Wooten, Nikki R; Mohr, Beth; Lundgren, Lena M; Adams, Rachel S; Merrick Elizabeth L; Williams, Thomas V; Larson, Mary Jo. "Gender differences in substance use treatment utilization the year prior to deployment in Army service members." J of Substance Abuse Treatment 45. 3 (2013): 257-65.
- Adams, RS, Larson, Mary Jo, Corrigan J, Horgan C, Williams T.. "Frequent Binge Drinking After Combat-Acquired Traumatic Brain Injury Among Active Duty Military Personnel with a Past Year Combat Deployment." Journal of Head Trauma and Rehabilitation 27. 5 (2012): 349-360.
- Adams, Rachel S; Corrigan John D.; Larson, Mary Jo. "Alcohol use after combat-acquired traumatic brain injury: What we know and don’t know." J of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 12. 1 (2012): 28-51.
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Prevention, Assessment and Treatment of Substance Use Disorders in the U.S. Armed Forces (Larson, Mary Jo co-author). Substance Use Disorders in the U.S. Armed Forces. Washington DC: The National Academies Press, 2012.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Mohr BA, Adams RS, Ritter G, Perloff J, Williams, TV, Jeffery DD, Tompkins C.. "Association of military deployment of a parent or spouse and changes in dependent use of health care services." Medical Care 12. 1 (2012): 6-27.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Wooten N., Sayko Adams R., Merrick E.. "Military Combat Deployments and Substance Use: Review and Future Directions." Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 12. 1 (2012): 6-27.
- Ruzek, Josef I; Rosen, Raymond C; Marceau, Lisa; Larson, Mary Jo; Garvert, Donn; et al.. "Online self-administered training for post-traumatic stress disorder treatment providers: Design and methods for a randomized, prospective intervention study." Implementation Science 7. 1 (2012): 43-.
- Schlenger, W.E., Mauch, D., Mulvaney-Day, N, Ho, C.-L., Larson, M.J., Davis, M.T., Drewes, D.W.. Behavioral Health Research Gap Analysis. Bethesda, MD Abt Associates, Inc.: 2012.
- Schmidt LA, Tam TW, Larson Mary Jo. "Sources of Biased Inference in Alcohol and Drug Services Research: An Instrumental Variable Approach." J Stud Alcohol Drugs 73. 1 (2012): 144-153.
- Larson, Mary Jo, Lorenz LS, Mohr B, Grayton C.. Use of Psychotropic Medications Among Child Family Members (Aged 3-17), FY 2009, of Army Active Duty Service Members (ADSM) by Sponsor Deployment History, FY 2006-2009.. Bethesda, MA The CDM Group: 2011.
- Muroff J, Amodeo M, Larson, Mary Jo, Carey, M, Loftin RD.. "A Data Management System Integrating Web-based Training and Randomized Trials: Requirements, Experiences and Recommendations." Educational Technology & Society 14. 2 (2011): 136-148.
- Reif S, Larson Mary Jo, Cheng D, Allensworth-Davies D, Samet J, Saitz R.. "Chronic disease and recent addiction treatment utilization among alcohol and drug dependent adults." Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 6. 1 (2011): 28-.
- Amodeo Maryann, Storti Susan, Larson, Mary Jo. "Moving empirically-supported treatment to addiction programs: Recruiting supervisors to help in technology transfer." Substance Use and Misuse 45. 6 (2010): 968-82.
- Kresky-Wolff, M; Larson, MJ; O'Brien, RW; McGraw, SA. "Supportive housing approaches in the Collaborative Initiative to Help End Chronic Homelessness (CICH)." J Behav Health Serv Res 37. 2 (2010).
- Larson, MJ; Mohr, B; Sayko Adams, R; Tompkins, C; Perloff, J; Ritter, G. Effects of Deployment on Health of Military Dependents. Final Report to the Department of Defense/Health Affairs/Tricare Management Activity/Health Programs Analysis & Evaluation. Waltham, MA: 2010.
- Larson, Mary Jo, McGraw, Sarah. "Physical Illness and Medical Needs of Women with Mental Disorders (Chapter 5)." A Public Health Perspective of Women's Mental Health. Ed. Becker, Marion & Levin, Bruce. New York, NJ: Springer, 2010. 81-105.
- Larson, Mary Jo. "Effects of Deployment on Health of Military Dependents." Briefing for Rear Admiral Christina Hunter and Mr. O'Bay. TRICARE Management Activity, Office of Health Affairs, Department of Defense, Falls Church VA. February 17, 2010.
- McGraw S; Larson MJ; Foster SE; Kresky-Wolff M; Botelho E; Elstad E; Stefancic A; Tsemberis S. "Adopting Best Practices: Lessons Learned in the Collaborative Initiative to Help End Chronic Homelessness (CICH)." J of Behavioral Health Serv Res and Policy 37. 2 (2010): 197-212.
- Allyson J. Peller, Beth A. Mohr, Lisa M. Najavits, Mary Jo Larson. "PTSD treatment utilization and presence of substance use disorder in a community sample with PTSD symptom." Association of Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse annual meeting. Bethesda MD. November 5-7, 2009.
- Browne, CA, Larson, Mary Jo, Miller, K, Cowell, AJ.. "Racial/Ethnic Patterns in Claim-identified Mental Health Disorders among Disabled Medicare Beneficiaries." PsychiatricServices 60. 12 (2009): 1586.
- Larson MJ, Amodeo M, Storti S, Steketee G, Blitzman G, Smith L. "A Novel CBT Web Course for the Substance Abuse Workforce: Community Counselors' Perceptions." Substance Abuse 30. 1 (2009): 26-29.
Dr. Larson is a health services researcher specializing in access, quality, and cost of care related to mental health and addiction problems. She has expertise in specialty mental health and substance abuse service delivery systems and integrated approaches to care delivery. She teaches a course on global mental health policy. Her current focus in on the military healthcare system and the impact of the OIF/OEF conflicts on military families and service members. Dr. Larson is a conducting a longitudinal study of military members returning from deployment. One focus is on health needs and services associated with psychiatric conditions; a second focus is on use of complementary and integrative health services and prescribed opioids used in pain management. She designed a pilot clinical trial of academic detailing for physicians who prescribe opioids in their clinical practice with military members and families. She previously has conducted other primary data collection studies and secondary data analyses. Topics have included outcomes associated with primary care linkage of adults with addiction; outcomes associated with receipt of addiction care inside a managed care framework versus a fee-for-service public system; outcomes of integrated services for co-occurring disorders for women with trauma and PTSD. She frequently conducts research on disenfranchised populations including those experiencing chronic homelessness or incarceration.
Dr. Larson was formerly Principal Research Scientist and Director of the Institute on Health Services Research and Policy at New England Research Institutes. In that capacity she also directed feasibility studies of web course training programs she designed for mental health clinicians.
Awards and Honors
- 11th Annual J. Rhodes Haverty Lecture, Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing & Health Professions Georgia State University (2013)
- Invited Member, Institute of Medicine (National Academy of Sciences), Assessment of Resiliency and Prevention Programs for Mental and Behavioral Health in Service Members and their Families (2013 - 2014)
- Editorial Board, International Scholarly Research Network (2012)
- Invited Member, Institute of Medicine (National Academy of Sciences) Committee on Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment and Management of Substance Use Disorders in the Armed Forces (2011 - 2012)
- AcademyHealth 2010, "Best in Theme" abstract (with Beth Mohr), Children's policy (2010)
- Editorial Board, Addiction Science and Clinical Practice (ASCP) (2010)
- Invited Contributor, MA Department of Corrections Strategic Planning Committee (2010)
- Member, Computerized Motivational Incentives Blending Team (MIEDAR-II), NIDA/SAMHSA (2009 - 2010)
- Program Committee chair, Annual meeting, Association of Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (2009 - 2010)
- Program Committee co-chair, annual meeting, AMERSA (2008 - 2009)
- Lucius N. Littauer Fellow, John F. Kennedy School of Govenment, Harvard University (1985)
- Predoctoral Trainee in Mental Health Economics, National Institute of Mental Health (1985 - 1987)
- Leadership Fellow of the Archibald Bush Foundation, St. Paul MN (1983 - 1984)