Debarshi K Nandy
Associate Professor of Finance in the Brandeis International Business School
My research interests are in the fields of entrepreneurial finance and innovation, corporate finance, and financial intermediation with special interests in the going public decision of firms, IPOs, venture capital financing, angel financing, financing for small businesses, corporate restructuring and security issuance, and the economics of fracking. Most of my research projects utilize establishment level business micro-data of the U.S. Census Bureau in analyzing issues that relate to value creation in firms while they are still private and also on the growth of entrepreneurship, innovation, and new business creation. With regard to financial intermediation, my interests include issues related to loan syndication, contracting, and agency problems in syndicated loan markets and how it affects bank performance.
Awards and Honors
- Provost Research Award (2015 - 2016)
- Fama/DFA Prize for Capital Markets and Asset Pricing, second place for the best paper published in the Journal of Financial Economics in 2011. (2012)
- National Science Foundation (NSF), SES grant number-1156246, for $315,046 titled, “Market Access and Border Entrepreneurship” (2012 - 2018)
- Outstanding Financial Institutions Paper, Eastern Finance Association (EFA) (2010)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Standard Research Grant for $75,500.00. PI on Evolution and Success of Entrepreneurial Activity: Evidence from Micro-Data (2010 - 2011)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Special Business Research Grant for $155,000.00. Co-PI with Nadia Massoud on Hedge Funds Syndicated Lending and Short Selling: Their Impact on Corporate Survival Rates (2008 - 2011)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Standard Research Grant for $62,000.00. Co-PI with Yisong Tian on Corporate Governance, Managerial Equity Incentives and Firm Productivity (2007 - 2010)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Standard Research Grant for $90,192.00. PI on Effect of new Equity Issues and Corporate Restructuring on Product Market Performance (2005 - 2008)
- Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award for Best Teaching Fellow, Boston College (2002 - 2003)
- Best Paper in Financial Institutions, Financial Management Association (FMA) for The Determinants of Contract Terms in Bank Revolving Credit Agreements (1998)
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Chemmanur, T, He, S. and He, J. "Product Market Characteristics and the Choice between IPOs and Acquisitions." Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (2017). (forthcoming)
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Feng, Yi, Tian, Yisong. "Executive Compensation and the Corporate Spin-off Decision." Journal of Economics and Business 77. January-February, 2015 (2015): 94 - 117.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Krishnan, Karthik, and Puri, Manju. "Does Financing Spur Small Business Productivity? Evidence from a Natural Experiment." Review of Financial Studies 28. June (6) (2015): 1768 - 1809.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Thomas Chemmanur, An Yan, J. Jiao. "A Theory of Mandatory Convertibles." Journal of Banking and Finance 42. May 2014 (2014): 352-370.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Thomas Chemmanur, Karthik Krishnan. "The Effects of Corporate Spin-offs on Productivity: A Plant Level Analysis." Journal of Corporate Finance 27. August 2014 (2014): 72-98.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Gordon Roberts, Li Hao. "How Bank Regulation and Lender Location Influence Loan Pricing." Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis Vol. 6, December 2012. 47 (2012): 1247 - 1278.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Nadia Massoud, Keke Song, Anthony Saunders. "Do Hedge Funds trade on Private Information? Evidence from Syndicated Lending and Short-selling." Journal of Financial Economics 99. 3 (2011): 477 - 499.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Thomas Chemmanur, Karthik Krishnan. "How does Venture Capital Financing Improve Efficiency of Private Firms? A Look beneath the Surface." Review of Financial Studies 24. 12 (2011): 4037 - 4090.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Thomas Chemmanur, Shan He. "The Going Public Decision and the Product Market." Review of Financial Studies 23. 5 (2010): 1855 - 1908.
- Nandy, Debarshi K. "Why do Firms Denominate Bank Loans in Foreign Currencies? Evidence from Canada and U.K.." Journal of Economics and Business 62. 6 (2010): 577 - 603.
- Nandy, Debarshi K, Steven Dennis, Ian Sharpe. "The Determinants of Contract Terms in Bank Revolving Credit Agreements." Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 35. 1 (2000).