Currently interested in how lessons from American and international experience can be synthesized to shape solutions that will diminish youth idleness and promote healthy connections between young people and the economic mainstream in their nations. Focuses on donor and grantmaker strategies, and generally, the role foundations play in social policy.
Awards and Honors
- Re-appointment to board of Steppingstone Foundation (2010)
- Appointed to board of GreenLight Fund, a new philanthropy (2008)
- Appointed to Youth Entrepreneurship Summit Steering Committee- Aspen Instiute and National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship (2007)
- Faculty Mentor of the Year Award for work with Heller graduate students. Student nominated. (2007)
- World Bank selected him as consultant to advise on the World Development Report with its focus this year on youth (2005)
- Appointed to Howland Family Endowed Chair for Youth Leadership Studies,University of Minnessota (2002 - 2003)
- Dropouts in America named 1 of 4 major educational policy books by Education Weekly (1988)
- Hahn, Andrew, with Susan Lanspery and Tom Leavitt. The Impact of Life Skills on Youth Participating in Youth Programs in 13 Countries. International Youth Foundation. Baltimore Maryland: 2007. (forthcoming)
- Hahn, Andrew. "A Cash Assistance Approach to Fighting Poverty." Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunities (2010)
- Hahn, Andrew. "A Plan to Help Save Non Profits (8/1/2009)." Youth Today, the newspaper for Youth Work
- Lilliokanaio Peaslee and Andrew Hahn. "Strengthening Rural Communities through Investment in Youth Education, Employment, and Training -Chapter 12." Economic Restructuring in Rural America. 1 ed. vol. 1 Ed. Kristin Smith, University of New Hampshire. Penn State University Press, 2010
- Hahn, Andrew. "They Are Back! Summer Jobs Return for Poor Kids, and a Confession." Youth Today, the newspaper on youth work April 2009: Viewpoints 22.
- Hahn, Andrew (PI), with Susan Lanspery, Erika Moldow and Thomas Pineros Shields. Examining Implementation, Context and Student Outcomes in School-Based Youth Entrepreneurship Programs. Unpublished report. Waltham: 2008.
- Hahn, Andrew and Susan Lanspery, Tom Leavitt and Heath Prince. "A Helping Hand on the Road to Productive Work: The Indianapolis Private Industry Council's Cash Voucher Program for Disadvantaged Youth". Center for Youth and Communities. Waltham: 2008.
- Hahn, Andrew and Susan Lanspery, Tom Leavitt, and Heath Prince. Youth Employment Services: Program Implementation Guide and Tools. Waltham Center for Youth and Communities: 2008.
- Hahn, Andrew. "Building the Case for Entrepreneur Ed." Youth Today: the newspaper on youth work April 2008: Viewpoints 19.
- Hahn, Andrew. "Help Local Foundations Play a Role in Youth Policy." Youth Today: the newspaper on youth work November 1, 2008: Viewpoint
- Hahn, Andrew. "The End of Youth?." Youth Today: the newspaper on youth work July/August, 2008: Viewpoint
- Hahn, Andrew. "Hard or Soft Life Skills in Youth Programs in Latin America." unpublished conference paper for the World Bank, 2007.
- Hahn, Andrew. "Opinion articles for Youth Today, the newspaper of youthwork." Youth Today, the newspaper on youthwork.
- Hahn,Andrew. "A Promising Tool for Helping Vulnerable Workers? An Exploration of the Use of Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) to Help Low Wage Workers on College Campus." Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement (2005).
- Hahn,Andrew. "Youth Today, the newspaper of youth work. Opinion Articles by Andrew Hahn 4 times annually." (2005).
- Hahn,Andrew. "Comprehensive Youth Programs." Encyclopedia of Applied Development Science. Sage, 2004. 1164-1168.
- Hahn,Andrew; Nadja Hogg, Ann Locknerr, Andrew Hahn. "In Search of Youth Policy: A Research Brief for the Minnesota Commission on Out of School Time." (2004): 1-4.
- Hahn,Andrew. "Colleges and Universities as Economic Anchors: Profiles of Promising Practices." (2003).
- Hahn,Andrew. "Youth Development and the Preparation of Youth for Employment in The American Youth Policy Forum - Tens Years Celebration." (2003).
- Hahn,Andrew. "Journal of Youth Policy: Critical Analysis, Does America Have a Youth Development Policy." Youth Work Press. 76 (2002).
- Hahn,Andrew. "What Foundations Can Do To Promote Policy in Support of the Emerging Field of Youth Development." Youth Development Policy (2002).
- Hahn,Andrew. "A Retrospective Look at Five Community and Family Strengthening Projects, and Their Enduring Results." Change that Abides (2001).
- Hahn,Andrew. "Changing Government, Changing Lives. A Journal of Community Building for Community Leaders." The Indy Story 4. 1 (2001): 13-19.
- Hahn,Andrew. "Policy to Nurture Community Youth Development." Community Youth Development Journal 2. 2 (2001): 52-53.
- Hahn,Andrew. "Promoting Effective Education and Marketable Skills Through Youth Programs- Special Issue on America's Promise." (2001).
- Hahn,Andrew. "The Importance of Evaluation and Policy Implementation Assessment in South African Youth Work." Youth Development Journal (2000).
- Hahn,Andrew, Doug Besharov. "Extending the Time of Learning." Disconnected Youth (1999): 233-263.
- Hahn,Andrew. "The Youth Development Field: A Profession in the Making." Journal of Child and Youth Care Work (1999).
- Hahn,Andrew, Gordon Raley. "Youth Development: On the Path Toward Professionalization." Non Profit Management and Leadership 8. 4 (1998): 387-402.
- Hahn,Andrew. "Commentaries by Experts on Youth Development, Education, Training and Employment Policy." Evaluation Forum (1997): 20-35.
- Hahn,Andrew, w/ Heidi Goldsmith. The Role of National Youth Policy in the Development of Residential Education in the United States.. The Haworth Press, Inc., 1996.
- Hahn,Andrew. "Review." Rev. of The Use of Assessment Procedures in Foster Care to Evaluate Readiness for Independent Living and To Reform State Foster Care Policies. Children and Youth Services 01 AUG 1994: 171-180
- Hahn,Andrew. "Toward a National Youth Development Policy for Young African-American Males: Challenges to Agencies, Programs, and Social Policy." Nurturing Young Black Males; The Choices Policymakers Face,. vol. Chapter 7 Ed. Ron Mincy. Washington, D.C.: The Urban Institute Press, 1994. 165.
- Hahn,Andrew. ""The Mission and Structure of National Human Resource Policy for Disadvantaged Youth" in Dilemmas in Youth Employment Programming." (1992).
- Hahn,Andrew. Managing Mentoring Programs--A Research Brief. Diss. The Institute for Urban and Minority Education, Columbia University, Teacher's College, 1992.
- Hahn,Andrew, Don Hamacheck. ""Reaching Out to America's Dropouts: What to Do?" Phi Delta Kappan, January, 1988. Also appears in , ed. Rolf E. Muuss.." Adolescent Behavior and Society (1990).
- Hahn,Andrew, Jacqueline Danzberger. Dropouts in America. Washington, DC: Institute for Educational Leadersh, 1989.
- Hahn,Andrew, with Robert Lerman. What Works in Youth Employment Policy? How to Help Young Workers from Poor Families. Washington, D.C.: National Planning Association, 1985.