firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 219 • 781-736-3913
health services research, health economics, national and state health policy, research methods
- Zhu, J, Weingart, S, Ritter, G, Tompkins, C, and Garnick, D. "Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Patient Experience With Communication in Hospitals: Real Differences or Measurement Errors?." Medical Care (2015). (forthcoming)
- Stason WB, Ritter GA, Martin T, Prottas J, Tompkins C, Shepard DS. "Effects of Expanded Coverage for Chiropractic Services on Medicare Costs in a CMS Demonstration." PLoS ONE 11. 2 (2016): 0147959.
- Ryan, Andrew, and Tompkins, Christopher. Efficiency and Value in Healthcare: Linking Cost and Quality Measures. Washington, DC National Quality Forum: 2015.
- Larson, MJ, Mohr, B, Sayko Adams, R, Ritter, G, Perloff, JN, Williams, TV, Jeffery, DD, Tompkins, C.. "Association of Military Deployment of a Parent or Spouse and Changes in Dependent Use of Health Care Services." Medical Care 50. 9 (2012): 821–828..
- Mechanic, R and Tompkins, Christopher. "Lessons Learned Preparing for Medicare Bundled Payments." NEJM 367. 20 (2012).
- Rastogi A, de Brantes F, Slusarz J, Tompkins C, .. "Analysis of Medicare and Commercial Insurer- Paid Total Knee Replacement Reveals Opportunities for Cost Reduction." (2012)
- Tompkins, C.P., Altman, S.H., Eilat, E... "The Precarious Pricing System for Hospital Services." Health Affairs 25. 1 (2006): 45-56.
- Reif, S., Horgan, C.M., Ritter, G., Tompkins, C.P.. "The Impact of Employment Counseling on Substance User Treatment Participation and Outcomes." Substance Use & Misuse 39. 13-14 (2004): 2391-2424.
- Tompkins, C.P., Perloff, J.. "Using Information to Guide Managed Behavioral Health Care." Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research 31. 1 (2004): 98-110.
- Altman, S.H., Tompkins, C.P., Eilat, E., Glavin, M.P.V.. "Escalating Health Care Spending: Is It Desirable or Inevitable?." Health Affairs 22. 1 (2003): W3-1 to W3-14.
- Wallack, S.S., Tompkins, C.P.. "Realigning Incentives in Fee-for-Service Medicare." Health Affairs 22. 4 (2003): 59-70.
- Glavin, M.P.V., Tompkins, C.P., Wallack, S.S., Altman, S.H.. "An Examination of Factors in the Withdrawal of Managed Care Plans from the Medicare Plus Choice Program." Inquiry-the Journal of Health Care Organization Provision and Financing 39. 4 (2002): 341-354.
- Simoni-Wastila, L., Tompkins, C.P.. "Balancing Diversion Control and Medical Necessity: The Case of Prescription Drugs with Abuse Potential." Substance Use & Misuse 36. 9-10 (2001): 1275-1296.
- Tompkins, C.P., Bhalotra, S., Trisolini, M.. "Applying Disease Management Strategies to Medicare." Milbank Quarterly 77. 4 (1999): 461-484.
- Tompkins, C.P., Wallack, S.S. , Skwara, K.C.. "The Road Ahead for Medicare Managed Care: Addressing the Needs of the Chronically Ill." Journal of Long-Term Home Health Care 17. 2 (1998): 11-20.
- Tompkins, C.P., Bhalotra, S., Garnick, D.W., Chilingerian, J.A.. "Physician Profiling in Group Practices." Journal of Ambulatory Care Management 19. 4 (1996): 28-39.
- Tompkins, C.P., Wallack, S.S., Bhalotra, S., Chilingerian, J.A., Glavin, M.P.V., Ritter, G., Hodgkin, D.. "Bringing Managed Care Incentives to Medicare's Fee-for-Service Sector." Health Care Financing Review 17. 4 (1996): 43-63.
Christopher Tompkins, Ph.D. directs the Institute on Healthcare Systems at Brandeis University. He has pioneered payment and incentive systems for healthcare reform, including development of the Medicare shared savings system implemented in the Physician Group Practice demonstration, the MSSP, and Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs). He led the design of hospital value-based purchasing for Medicare. Since the fall of 2010, he has been directing a project to develop an episode-of-care system for Medicare, which is being used for individual feedback to physicians, and may be used for the physician value-based payment modifier. Currently he is directing innovation and analytic support for tMedicare physician payment based on value; and alternative payment models for physician payment under Medicare. Dr. Tompkins has led many applied research studies, and has taught program evaluation, healthcare financing, and research methods.