Senior Programmer and Lecturer
Lee Panas has been a Senior Statistical Programmer at the Schneider Institute for Health Policy since 2004. He has 25 years of experience in SAS and Stata programming and statistical analysis of large databases. Specifically, he maintained, analyzed and documented the MDPH Bureau of Substance Abuse Services Substance Abuse Management Information System (SAMIS) for 9 years. In addition, he has worked extensively with databases for publicly funded substance abuse programs in Washington and Oklahoma, prescription drug databases for a dozen states and several national databases including the Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS) and the Medicare claims database.
Prior to his career as a programmer/analyst, he taught courses in computer programming and statistics at University of Massachusetts Lowell for 7 years. Throughout his professional career, he has conducted training and seminars for colleagues in SAS and Stata Programming and statistics. Additionally, he has worked as a consultant for a publishing company writing manuals to accompany a statistics textbook, and published a book on the application of statistics to baseball.
- Acevedo A, Panas L, Garnick D, Acevedo-Garcia D, Miles J, Ritter G, Campbell K.. "Disparities in the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders: Does Where You Live Matter?." J Behav Health Serv Res. doi: 10.1007/s11414-018-9586-y. (2018).
- 21. Young, L., Kreiner, P.K., Panas, L. (2017).. "Unsolicited Reporting to Prescribers of Opioid Analgesics by a State Prescription Drug Monitoring Program: An Observational Study with Matched Comparison Group." Pain Medicine pnx044. April 4, 2017 (2017).
- Garnick., D.W., Horgan, C., Acevedo, A., Lee, M.T., Panas, L., Ritter, G., Campbell, K., BeanMortison, J.. ". Influencing Quality of SUD Care: Implementation of Alerts and Incentives in Washington State.." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 82. (2017): 93-101.
- 19. Acevedo A, Garnick DW, Dunigan R, Horgan CM, Ritter G, Lee MT, Panas L, Bidorini, A., Campbell, K., Haberlin, K., Lambert-Wacey, D., Leeper, T., Reynolds, M., Wright, D.. "Performance Measures and Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders.." Journal of Studies on Alcohol (2015).
- Merrick EL, Hodgkin D, Horgan CM, Lorenz L, Panas L, Ritter G,, Kasuba P, Poskanzer D, Altman-Nefussy R. (2015). "Testing Novel Patient Financial Incentives to Increase Breast Cancer Screening.." American Journal of Managed Care (2015).
- 15. Dunigan, R., Acevedo, A., Campbell, K., Garnick, D.W., Horgan, C.M., Huber, A., Lee, M.T, Panas, Ritter, G. "Engagement in outpatient substance abuse treatment and employment outcomes." Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research (2014).
- 16. Garnick, DW, Horgan, CM, Acevedo, A, Lee, MT, Panas, L, Ritter, GA, Dunigan, R, Bidorini, A, Campbell, K, Haberlin, K, Huber, A, Lambert-Wacey, D, Leeper, T, Reynolds, M, &Wright, D. "Criminal Justice Outcomes after Engagement in Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment (2014).
- 17. Lee MT, Horgan CM, Garnick DW, Acevedo A, Panas L, Ritter G, Dunigan R, Babakhanlou-Chase H, Bidorini A, Campbell K, Haberlin K, Huber A, Lambert-Wacey D, Leeper T, Reynolds M.. "A performance measure for continuity of care after detoxification: Relationship with outcomes." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment (2014).
- Acevedo, A., Garnick, D.W., Lee, M.T., Horgan, C.M., Ritter, G., Panas, L., Davis, S., Leeper, T., Moore, R., Reynolds, M.. ""Racial/Ethnic Differences in Substance Abuse Treatment Initiation and Engagement.."." Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse 11. 2012 (2013): 1-21.
- Lee, M., Garnick, D., O'Brien, P., Panas, L., Ritter, G., Acevedo, A.,,Garner, B., Funk, R., Godley,M.. "Adolescent Treatment Initiation and Engagement in an Evidenced-Based Practice Initiative." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 4. 2012 (2012): 346-355.
- Lee, M., Garnick, D., O'Brien, P., Panas, L., Ritter, G., Acevedo, A.,,Garner, B., Funk, R., Godley,M.. "The Washington Circle engagement performance measures’ association with adolescent treatment outcomes." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 124. 2012 (2012): 250-258.
- Merrick, E. L., Hodgkin, D., Panas, L., Soumerai, S. B. and Ritter, G.. "Is customization in antidepressant prescribing associated with acute-phase treatment adherence?." Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research doi: 10.1111/j.1759-8893.2011.00068.x. (2012).
- Merrick E, Hodgkin D, Garnick D, Horgan C, Panas L, Ryan M, Saitz R, Blow F.. "Older Adults’ Inpatient and Emergency Department Utilization for Ambulatory-Care-Sensitive Conditions: Relationship With Alcohol Consumption." Journal of Aging and Health Jan:23. 1 (2011): 86-111.
- Panas, Lee. Beyond Batting Average: Baseball Statistics for the 21st Century. First Edition ed. Chelmsford, MA: Lulu Publishing, 2011.