firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 343 • 781-736-3775
Evaluation of youth development and education programs; special focus on service-learning and civic engagement, informal education, informal STEM education and college access and completion.
- Melchior, Alan L. and Lanspery, S.. YouthBuild AmeriCorps Evaluation, Preliminary Baseline Evaluation Report. Waltham, MA Center for Youth and Communities, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University. Prepared for YouthBuild USA.: 2016.
- Center for Youth and Communities [Melchior, Alan L. et al]. Creating New Pathways to Postsecondary: Evaluation of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Postsecondary Success (PSS) Initiative.. Waltham, MA Center for Youth and Communities, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University: 2013.
- Melchior, Alan L.. Evaluation of the FIRST LEGO® League “Senior Solutions” Season. Prepared for US FIRST.. Waltham, MA Center for Youth and Communites, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University.: 2013.
- Boguslaw, Janet, Melchior, Alan L. and Pierce, Elizabeth. Partnership for College Completion Process, Implementation, and Outcome Assessment Year Two: Final Report. Waltham, MA Institute for Assets and Social Policy and Center for Youth and Communities, Heller School for Social Policy and Management: 2012.
- Melchior, Alan L.. ""Chicago Case Study"." Innovating Under Pressure: The Story of the 2009 Recovery Act Summer Youth Employment Initiative. Ed. Curnan, Susan P.. Waltham, MA: Center for Youth and Communities, for the U.S. Department of Labor, 2010
- Melchior, Alan L.. "De-Mystifying Evaluation: Making Evaluation an Integral Part of a High Quality Youth Program." Conference on Impact Assessment of Youth Interventions. New Delhi, India. May 2010.
- Melchior, Alan L.. Summer of Service Evaluation Toolkit. Washington, DC Innovations in Civic Participation: 2010.
- Melchior, Alan L., Cutter, T. and Deshpande, A.. Evaluation of the FIRST LEGO League, "Climate Connections" Season (2008-2009). Waltham, MA Center for Youth and Communities, Brandeis University. For FIRST, Inc.: 2009.
- Melchior, Alan L.. "Going Beyond Robotics: Robotics Competitions as a Means of Promoting Positive Youth Development and Helping Young People Prepare for Work." 2006 Robotics Education Symposium “Strengthening STEM Education Through The Use of Standards-Based Assessments for Robotics Competitions, Washington, DC. January, 2006.
- Melchior, Alan L., Cutter, T., and Cohen, F.. More than Robots: An Evaluation of the FIRST Robotics Competition Participant and Institutional Impacts. Waltham, MA Center for Youth and Communities, Brandeis University. Prepared for FIRST, Inc.: 2005.
- Melchior, Alan L., National Youth Leadership Council. "The Growth of Service-Learning in America." The Generator: Journal for Service-Learning and Youth Leadership Fall, 2005.
- Melchior, Alan L. and Bailis, L.N.. "Practical Issues in the Conduct of Large-Scale, Multi-Site Research and Evaluation." Studying Service-Learning: Innovations in Educational Research. Ed. Shelley Billig and Alan Waterman. Mahwah, NJ: Ehrlbaum Publishing, 2003
- Melchior, Alan L. and Bailis, L.N.. "Impact of Service-Learning on Civic Attitudes and Behaviors of Middle and High School Youth: Findings from Three National Evaluations." Service-Learning: The Essence of the Pedagogy. Ed. Shelley Billig and Andrew Furco. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing, 2002
- Melchior, Alan L.. "Costs and Benefits of Service-Learning." School Administrator August 2000.
- Center for Human Resources [Melchior, Alan L.]. National Evaluation of Learn and Serve America: Summary Report. Waltham, MA Center for Human Resources, Brandeis University: 1999.
- Curnan, Susan, Melchior, A., and Zuckerman, A.. "Toward Quality Programs for At-Risk Youth." Of Heart and Mind: Social Policy Essays in Honor of Sar Levitan. Ed. Garth and Stephen Mangum, Eds.. Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, 1996
Alan Melchior is the Associate Director and Senior Fellow at the Center for Youth and Communities. He brings more than twenty-five years of experience in managing a wide variety of policy, evaluation, and technical assistance and training initiatives in the fields of youth, education, and workforce development.
Since 1992, much of his work has focused on the evaluation of service-learning and civic engagement-related initiatives, including the national evaluations of the Serve-America and Learn and Serve America programs for the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS); studies of the institutionalization of service-learning for the CNCS and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation; and evaluations of national and regional service-learning programs, including the Earth Force and KIDS Consortium programs. In 2005, he was presented with a Founders Award by the Corporation for National and Community Service in recognition of his contributions to the field of service-learning and in 2008 was named a John Glenn Scholar of Service-Learning. From 2013-2015 he was the Co-Editor of the International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement.
Mr. Melchior's work also includes evaluations of a wide variety of youth, education, and community development initiative. Current projects include a five-year longitudinal study of national middle and high school after-school robotics programs and evaluation of several national initiatives promoting college access and success for low income students. Those projects include the evaluation of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Postsecondary Success Initiative and an implementation evaluation of YouthBuild’s Postsecondary Education Initiative, both multi-site efforts to provide new pathways to and through postsecondary education for low income, out of school youth. Other projects have included evaluations of school-to-career programs and comprehensive community partnerships; and research on the use of technology in community-based organizations.
Mr. Melchior is a regular presenter at national and regional service-learning and youth development conferences. Publications include articles on the impacts of service-learning programs on civic attitudes and STEM education, as well as practical, practitioner-oriented guides and toolkits.
Ultimately, my goal is to help strengthen the policies, practices and organizations that provide young people with better opportunities to grow into healthy and productive adults.
Awards and Honors
- John Glenn Scholar in Service-Learning. Recognition for research in the field of K-12 service-learning. (2008)
- Founders Award, Corporation for National and Community Service, Learn and Serve America Program: Recognition for contributions to the field of service-learning. (2005)