Associate Professor of Economics
firstname.lastname@example.org • Sachar International Center • 202 • 781-736-2230
Development economics, Applied Microeconomics, Health, Gender, Labor, Demography
- ECON 83a - Statistics for Economic Analysis
- ECON 175a - Introduction to the Economics of Development
- ECON 176a - Health, Hunger, and the Household in Developing Countries
- ECON 271a - Agents of Development: Individuals, Households, and Firms
- ECON 301a - Advanced Microeconomics I
- Averett, Susan, Laura M. Argys and Saul D. Hoffman, ed. "Women's Labor Market Status and Economic Development" in the Oxford Handbook on the Economics of Women. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017. (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Rodgers, Yana. "The Impact of the Minimum Wage on Male and Female Employment and Earnings in India." Asian Development Review (2017). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. Gendered Labor Access and Opportunities in the Rural Landscape and in Agricultural Markets. Rome Food and Agricultural Organization: 2017. (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Gender and Technology Use in Developing Countries: Evidence from Firms in Kenya." Journal of Economic Development (2015). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Religion and Health in Early Childhood: Evidence from South Asia." Population and Development Review (2015). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana/ Alexis Kennedy. "Land Reform and Welfare in Vietnam: Why Gender of the Land Rights Holder Matters." Journal of International Development (2015). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Impact of the Twin Economic Crises on the Philippine Labor Market." World Development (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Labor Regulations and Job Quality: Evidence from India." Industrial and Labor Relations Review (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "Credit and Self-Employment." Handbook of Research on Gender and Economic Life. vol. 1 Ed. Deborah M. Figart and Tonia Warnecke. Northamption, MA, and London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2012 (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "How Access to Credit Affects Self-Employment: Differences by Gender during India's Rural Banking Reform." Journal of Development Studies (2010). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Investment Credit and Child Labor." Applied Economics (2009). (forthcoming)
- Maitra, Pushkar/Menon, Nidhiya. "Portliness amidst Poverty: Evidence from India." October 2016.
- Menon, Nidhiya/McQueeney, Kathleen. "Christianity and Infant Health in India." January 2017.
- Pitt, Mark/Menon, Nidhiya. "Spatial Decentralization and Program Evaluation: Theory and an Example." March 2017.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Rodgers, Yana. "The Impact of the Minimum Wage on Male and Female Employment and Earnings in India." January 2015.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Rodgers, Yana/Zveglich, Joseph/Marife Lou Bacate. Gender Earnings Gaps in Asia: Recent Trends and Explanations. Manila, Philippines Asian Development Bank: 2015.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Brainerd, Elizabeth. "Religion and Health in Early Childhood: Evidence from the Indian Subcontinent." January 2015.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Kathleen McQueeney. "Christianity and Infant Health in India." December 2015.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Child Labor and the Minimum Wage: Evidence from India." December 2015.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "War and Women's Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal." Journal of Conflict Resolution 59. 1 (2015): 51-73.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Gender and Technology Use in Developing Countries: Evidence from Firms in Kenya." February 2014.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "The "State" of Persons with Disabilities in India." Journal of Human Development and Capabilities 15. 4 (2014): 391-412.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Seasonal Effects of Water Quality: The Hidden Costs of the Green Revoluation to Infant and Child Health in India." Journal of Development Economics 107. (2014): 49-64.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Women's Land Rights and Children's Human Capital in Vietnam." World Development 54. (2014): 18-31.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Technology Use and Firms with Female Principal Owners in Kenya." Journal of African Development 15. 2 (2013): 19-60.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Religion and Health in Early Childhood: Evidence from the Indian Subcontinent." October 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "A Meta-Analysis of Land Rights and Women's Economic Well-Being." November 2012.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Land Rights and Economic Security for Women in Vietnam." December 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Rainfall Uncertainty and Occupational Choice in Agricultural Households of Rural Nepal." Journal of Development Studies 45. 6 (2009): 864-888.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "Gender Inequality in the Labor Market During Economic Transition: Changes in India's Manufacturing Sector." Labor Markets in Transition and Developing Economies: Emerging Policy and Analytical Issues. Ed. Ravi Kanbur and Jan Svejnar. London and New York: Routledge Press, 2009. 341-363.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Glick, David. "Public Programs Pare Poverty: Evidence from Chile." Bulletin of Economic Research 61. 3 (2009): 249-282.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "International Trade and the Gender Wage Gap: New Evidence from India's Manufacturing Sector." World Development 37. 5 (2009): 965-981.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "The Relationship between Labor Unionization and the Number of Working Children in India." Indian Economic Journal 54. 3 (2008): 133-151.
- Menon, Nidhiya/rodgers, Yana. "Trade Policy Liberalization and Gender Equality in the Labor Market: New Evidence for India." Rutgers University World Affairs Review. vol. Issue 3, 2008. 1-25.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Conflicts and Foreign Investments: An Analysis of FDI in India." Review of Development Economics 11. 4 (2007): 629-644.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Subramanian, Narayanan. "Learning, Diversification, and the Nature of Risk." Economic Theory 35. 1 (2007): 117-145.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Inter-dependencies in Micro-Credit Groups: Evidence from Repayment Data." Journal of Developing Areas 40. 2 (2007): 111-132.
- Pitt, Mark/Menon, Nidhiya. "Program Evaluation Using Spatial Instruments: Evidence from Indonesia." 2007.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Long Term Benefits of Membership in Microfinance Programs." Journal of International Development 18. (2006): 571-594.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Non-Linearities in Returns to Participation in Grameen Bank Programs." Journal of Development Studies 42. 8 (2006): 1379-1400.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Disputes and the Economics of Firm Geography: A Study of Domestic Investment in India." Economic Development and Cultural Change 53. 4 (2005): 825-854.
Nidhiya Menon's primary research interest is development economics, applied microeconomics, health, labor, gender and demography. In particular, she is interested in the behavior of individuals, households and firms in developing countries and has contributed to topics that include microfinance, labor and occupational choice, gender-differentiated impacts of labor market policies, child health consequences of environmental (water) pollution, land rights and their impacts on economic welfare and children’s human capital, conflict and its repercussions on occupational choice, the effect of policies on people with disabilities, the impact of historical institutions on child health and technology use, and program evaluation. Her research program in these areas includes both theoretical and empirical work and spans countries that include India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Chile, Philippines, Kenya and Vietnam. She has been a consultant at the Food and Agricultural Organization, the World Bank, United Nations Foundation, and the Asian Development Bank, and a researcher at the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. At Brandeis, she teaches courses in development economics and statistics in the Economics Department and is affiliated faculty at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management and associated faculty at the Women and Gender Studies Department and the South Asian Studies Department. Menon received her Ph.D. in economics from Brown University.
Mt. Holyoke College
Awards and Honors
- Provost Research Grant (2016)
- Theodore and Jane Norman Research Grant (2016 - 2018)
- Asian Development Bank (2015)
- Food and Agricultural Organization, UN (2015)
- International Growth Center Research Grant (2014)
- United Nations Foundation (2012)
- International Growth Center Research Grant (2011)
- World Bank Research Grant (2010)
- World Bank Research Grant (2010)
- Who's Who in America (2009)
- World Bank Research Grant (2009)
- Norman Research Grant (2008)