Associate Professor of the Philosophy of Justice, Rights, and Social Change and Associate Director of the Master's Program in Sustainable International Development
Raj completed his PhD at the University of California, Irvine in the humanities where he studied under the French philosopher Jacques Derrida, the founder of deconstruction. His areas of specialization centered on the philosophy of history, historical time and epochal shifts. Subsequently, he did a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California, Berkeley and a D.A.A.D. research scientist fellowship in Germany where he published articles in continental European philosophy. From 2006-2009, he was an adjunct lecturer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and continued to serve on the Provost Council for College Eight at the University until June 2012.
His current research interests and disciplinary expertise include: twentieth century Anglo-American and European moral and political philosophy, philosophical theories of modernization and social-historical change, comparative constitutional law and legal philosophy, epistemology and the sociology of knowledge in comparative religious studies, and comparisons of Western philosophy and traditional African, Indian, and Chinese philosophy. Teaching interests include Critical Race Theory/Intersectionality, Global Queer and Gender studies, Anglo-American, European and Global South traditions of philosophical ethics, human rights, and theories of justice when applied to sustainable development issues.
In addition to publishing in academic journals, Raj has written an op ed for The Washington Post, a letter to the Editor for the NY Times, a short article for The Conversation, and blogs for The Huffington Post on various topics in comparative constitutional law, public and social policy. He appeared on a panel on Huff Post Live that discussed diversity, rights and free speech at American university campuses. He was invited by Al Jazeera America to appear on the Sunday evening news where he analyzed the upcoming Indian Supreme Court hearing on LGBTQ rights. He was a commentator for the "Louis D. Brandeis 100: Then & Now" Event Series panel discussion on "Jewish Justices and the Expanding Diversity of the Supreme Court" at Brandeis University. In April 2016, Raj was invited to participate in an episode of a new TV series launched by National Geographic exploring different notions of sexuality and gender in America and around the world. In May 2017 he was interviewed for the cover story on race, racism, and caste - "The Heart of Darkness: Caste or Color? Both spark hostilities in India" - of India Abroad, a leading newspaper for the Indian diaspora.
Raj teaches in the Masters of Arts Graduate Program in Sustainable International Development where he is currently serving as Associate Director at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. He teaches in the Heller School PhD Program in Social Policy. Raj is also the Lead Investigator of the Program on Social Exclusion at the Heller School's Center for Global Development and Sustainability. During the summers he has visited universities in Africa and India exploring how development ethics and theories of justice fit within graduate school curricula of development studies within developing country contexts. For three weeks in the summer of 2016, Raj was a visiting professor in the philosophy department at Hebrew University in Jerusalem under the Brandeis-Israel Collaborative Research grant program funded by Bronfman Philanthropies.
In addition to being a full-time faculty member of the Heller School, he is a member of the core faculty in the Master of Arts Program in Comparative Humanities (MACH) within the Division of the Humanities, an adviser to MA theses in the Master of Arts Program in Global Studies within the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and a member of the core faculty in the South Asian Studies Program in the College of Arts and Sciences.
In the Spring of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 he is teaching the core required graduate seminar in MACH on the "Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of the Humanities." In the Fall 2016 and 2018, he is teaching the core required senior undergraduate capstone Integrative Seminar on Health with a focus on Bioethics for the interdisciplinary undergraduate program in Health: Science, Society and Policy. HSSP is a synthetic program drawing from the social and natural sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Heller School for Social Policy and Management.
In the Spring and Fall 2017 and Fall 2018 he is teaching a PhD course on Critical Race Theory and Intersectionality and its impact on health and social policy in the Heller School for Social Policy and Management PhD program on Social Policy. In the Spring of 2018 he will teach the required Heller PhD course on The Theory of Social Policy and Change.
Beginning in Fall 2016 he is serving a three-year term as a Member-At-Large in the Faculty Senate. In the Fall of 2016, he was appointed to be a member of the Brandeis University President's Task Force on Free Expression. Raj is involved in a number of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committees and initiatives across the university.
Raj is a member of the NAACP.
Awards and Honors
- 2016 Heller School for Social Policy and Management Teaching Award (2016)
- Andrea and Charles Bronfman Philanthropies' Brandeis-Israel Collaborative Research Program (2016 - 2017)
- Fellow, College Eight, University of California, Santa Cruz (2006)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst, Research Scientist Fellow, Bremen Universitaet (1999)
- Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (1996 - 1998)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Heterodox Theological Critique of Paul de Man’s “Time and History in Wordsworth” from a Philosophical, Non-Literary Point of View." International Journal of Ethics 13. 1 (2018). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Appropriating Hegel’s Critique of Hinduism in his Philosophy of History by way of his Phenomenology of Spirit to Expand on Ambedkar’s Critique of the Caste System." Spec. Issue of International Journal of Religion and Society: Religious Roots of Ethical Behavior 5. 3/4 (2018). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Boredom, Temporality, and the Godhead: Onto-Theological Reflections on Heidegger’s Four Concepts of Metaphysics (1929) and the Speculative Metaphysics of the Being of the Judeo-Christian God." International Journal of Ethics 13. 1 (2018). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Excavating Aristotle’s Nichomachean Ethics in a Critique of the Caste System in Contemporary India." Current Politics and Economics of South, Southeastern, and Central Asia 26. 1 (2018). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Physician-Assisted Dying." Your Healthcare: What You Must Know. 1st ed. vol. 1st Ed. Valentin Antoci and Adam E. M. Eltorai. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2018 (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Why the early Derrida got Being and Time wrong and what that means as to why Heidegger got Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit within Being and Time wrong." International Journal of Ethics 13. 2 (2018). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Search for an Alternative Critique of Indian Political-Economy and the Caste System: A Critical Evaluation of Perry Anderson's The Indian Ideology by Returning to Marx's The German Ideology." Journal of Social Inclusion Studies 3. 2 (2017). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Critical Interpretation of the U.S. Supreme Court Decision in Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. EEOC (2012) to Illuminate the Challenges of Securing Basic Human Rights and Economic Opportunities for Disabled Persons." International Journal of Religion and Society 5. 2 (2017): 77-88.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Response for Views on the News: The New Passports." The Justice (2017): <http://www.thejustice.org/article/2017/11/views-on-the-news-new-passports>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Being of God's Time: The Problem of Time in Barth’s Church Dogmatics and Heidegger’s Being and Time." IAFOR Journal of Ethics, Religion and Philosophy 3. 1 (2017): 26-34.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Looming Threat that Conservative Justices of SCOTUS Pose to the Obergefell v. Hodges Decision that Legalized Gay Marriage." The Huffington Post 12/03/2017. 2017 (2017): <https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-looming-threat-that-conservative-justices-of-scotus_us_5a2449c5e4b04dacbc9bd863>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time, History, Eternity and Eschatology as the Basis of Pannenberg's Theological Method." International Journal of Religion and Society 5. 2 (2017): 65-76.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Twenty-First Century Theses on Violence." The Brandeis Multidisciplinary Collaborative Series 1. 1 (2017): <https://deisortium.wordpress.com/our-work/>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Why study global development in the isolationist age of Trump?." The Huffington Post 02/15/2017. 2017 (2017): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58a4a15ee4b0e172783aa380>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Anticipating the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Light of Major Supreme Court Decisions on Voting Rights in Obama's Second Administration." The Huffington Post 02/04/2016. 2016 (2016): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/anticipating-the-2016-us_b_9160736.html>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Contextualizing Ambedkar's Annihilation of Caste: An Interpretation Through Hegel and Marx's Writings." Journal of Social Inclusion Studies 2. 2 (2016): 140-152.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Democracy After Decolonization: An Application of Montesquieu's Categories in The Spirit of Laws to Our Contemporary Age." International Journal of Ethics 11. 4 (2016): 287-291.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "God as ‘the Gods’ of/as the Pluralistic Origin: An Onto-Theological Reading of Derrida’s Of Grammatology in Light of the Temporal Dynamics of Exodus 3:14." International Journal of Religion and Society 5. 1 (2016): 1-8.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Hegel's Critique of Chinese Imperial Morality as a Response to Daniel Bell's The China Model: Political Meritocracy and the Limits of Democracy." International Journal of Ethics 11. 4 (2016): 293-308.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Homage to Hirschman's Development Projects Observed." International Journal of Ethics 11. 3 (2016): 191-200.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Judaic Onto-Theology in the Thought of Derrida: The Origin of Time in "Ousia and Grammē: Note on a Note from Being and Time" in Light of Genesis 1:1-2." International Journal of Religion and Society 5. 1 (2016): 41-46.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Marx and Ambedkar: A Comparison and Contrast of Hegel and Brahmanism." Journal of Social Inclusion Studies 3. 1 (2016).
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Response for Views on the News: Gandhi." The Justice 09/27/16. 09/27/16 (2016): <http://www.thejustice.org/article/2016/09/views-on-the-news-gandhi>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Response to "Prostitution Should NOT Be Legal (or Decriminalized)"." WalletHub 09/01. 2016 (2016): <https://wallethub.com/blog/should-prostitution-be-legal/24211/#rajesh-sampath>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Sampath's Interview and Analysis of LGBTQ rights in India on Al Jazeera America Sunday Evening News." Heller School for Social Policy and Management 1. 1 (2016): <http://heller.brandeis.edu/news/items/releases/2016/sampath-aljazeera.html>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Concept of Time (1924) as the Step Beyond Being and Time (1927) and After Deconstruction." Heidegger, Levinas, Derrida: The Question of Difference. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Lisa Foran and Rozemund Uljee. Dordrecht: Springer, 2016. 149-161.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Future of Global Justice: On Rawls's The Law of Peoples and the United Nations Post-2015 SDGs Framework." International Journal of Ethics 11. 3 (2016): 201-209.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Paradox of Increasing Judicial Power and Diminishing Democratic Will in Contemporary America." The Huffington Post 02/03/2016. 2016 (2016): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/the-paradox-of-increasing_b_9149110.html>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Problematic Legacy of Justice Scalia for the Future of Gay and Abortion Rights in America and Abroad." The Huffington Post 02/14/2016. 2016 (2016): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/the-problematic-legacy-of_b_9233664.html>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Towards a Non-Postcolonial Ontology of the Media in Developing Countries." The Media Anthology: Visualizing Mass Media from a Macro Perspective. 1 ed. vol. 1 Ed. Theophilus Gokah. New York: Nova Publishing, 2016. 1-15.
- When Free Speech Comes at a Cost on Campuses. Panelist Sampath, Rajesh. The Huffington Post Live: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/free-speech-college-campus-safe-space/556dd38002a7603d6700005c, 2015.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Hegelian Appropriation of the Greek New Testament as a Response to Nietzsche's Anti-Christian Insights on the Origin of Moral Values." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 4 (2015): 43-60.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "An Inconveniently Moral Argument for the Death Penalty in the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Case." The Huffington Post 04/27/2015 (2015): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/an-inconveniently-moral-a_b_7135466.html?utm_hp_ref=death-penalty>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Decomposing Rawls's Philosophy of Justice with Foucault's Discipline and Punish By Way of a Transmutation of Hegel's Master-Slave Dialectic in the Phenomenology of Spirit." Journal of Sociology and Social Work 3. 1 (2015): 33-40.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Deconstructing Chief Justice Roberts's Dissent in the Epoch-Making Same-Sex Marriage Decision- Obergefell v. Hodges- but Not from Traditional Perspectives of the Left." The Huffington Post 07/07/2015 (2015): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/deconstructing-chief-just_b_7746346.html>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Developing a Nietzschean Genealogical Critique of the Metaphysical and Moral Underpinnings of the Hindu Caste System." Spec. Issue of Indian Philosophical Quarterly: Rethinking Ambedkar in the 21st Century 42. 1-4 (2015): 81-108.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Examining Gyekye's Tradition and Modernity: Philosophical Reflections on African Experience Through the Lens of Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth." Current Politics and Economics of Africa 8. 1 (2015): 1-9.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Expanding Sen's The Idea of Justice as a Critical Response To Rawls's The Law of Peoples." International Journal of Ethics 11. 2 (2015): 109-118.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "India has outlawed homosexuality. But it's better to be transgender there than in the U.S.." Washington Post 01/29/2015 (2015): <http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/29/india-has-outlawed-homosexuality-but-its-better-to-be-transgender-there-than-in-the-u-s/>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Letter to the Editor RE: "In College and Hiding from Scary Ideas"." NY Times 03/28/2015 (2015): <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/opinion/sunday/campus-safe-spaces.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=1>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Mobilizing Hegel's Master-Slave Dialectic in the Phenomenology of Spirit to Illuminate New Possibilities in Ambedkar's Annihilation of Caste." Philosophy, Culture, Traditions 11. 1 (2015): 209-227.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Morality, Ethics and Justice in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit as an Antipode to Rawls's A Theory of Justice." International Journal of Ethics 10. 4 (2015): 315-337.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Philosophy of Development Economics: Creating a Dialogue between Rawls and Development Economists." Journal of Economics and Development Studies 3. 1 (2015): 231-238.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Racial and Caste Oppression Have Many Similarities." The Conversation 06/19/2015. (2015): <https://theconversation.com/racial-and-caste-oppression-have-many-similarities-37710>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Speak or Forever Hold Your Peace: An Examination of the European Union's Venice Commission Report Addressing Freedom of Expression vs. International Criminalization of Blasphemy, Religious Insults, and Incitement to Religious Hatred." Current Politics and Economics of Europe 26. 1 (2015): 1-15.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Temporality and Historicality in Heidegger's Being and Time as the Clue to the Origin of Christian Theology." IAFOR Journal of Ethics, Religion and Philosophy 2. 1 (2015): 43-53.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Challenge of Articulating the Ethical Mandate to Reverse Climate Change." Global Future of Development: Global Futures Blog (2015): <http://global.georgetown.edu/futures/dialogue/week-9-climate-change/responses/the-challenge-of-articulating-the-ethical-mandate-to-reverse-climate-change>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Idea of the Nation-State as an Obstacle to the Right to Global Development." IAFOR Journal of Arts and Humanities 3. 1 (2015): 17-31.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Role of the United Nations Ethics Office: The Ethics of International Civil Service in Light of the Foundation and Mission of the United Nations." UN Chronicle: The Magazine of the United Nations Web Special. 1 (2015): <http://unchronicle.un.org/article/role-united-nations-ethics-officethe-ethics-international-civil-service-light-foundation-and/>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Supreme Court's Religion: Upholding a Singular Political Conception of God in Town of Greece, New York v. Galloway (2014)." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 4 (2015): 61-70.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Violence of American Law: A Critique of the Early 21st Century Institutional Subjugation of African-Americans." International Journal of Ethics 11. 2 (2015): 119-126.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "To Be or Not to Be: The Significance of Ricoeur's Philosophical Ethics and Heidegger on Time and Death for Judging Contemporary American Debates on Physician-Assisted Suicide." International Journal of Ethics 10. 4 (2015): 339-358.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Using Foucault's Discipline and Punish to Reinterpret the Gap between the Indian Constitution and Indian Society: Homage to Ambedkar." Journal of Social Inclusion Studies 2. 1 (2015): 126-140.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Phenomenological Appropriation of Ricoeur's Critique of Rawlsian Contractualism and Kantian Deontology for the Purposes of Building a New Theory of International Economic Justice." International Journal of Philosophy and Theology 2. 4 (2014): 23-43.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Review of Rawls Explained: From Fairness to Utopia." Rev. of Rawls Explained: From Fairness to Utopia, by Paul Voice. Philosophy of the Social Sciences vol. 44 of 6 2014: 843-847.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Aligning Global Economic Justice and International Law: A Philosophical Critique of the 2013 U.S. Supreme Court Decision That Limits the Application of the Alien Tort Statute." Journal of Law and Criminal Justice 2. 1 (2014): 197-211.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Deconstructing Taylor's A Secular Age to Get at a Deeper Sense of the Philosophical Problem." Review of Arts and Humanities 3. 1 (2014): 45-54.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Education, Capabilities and Development: Appropriating Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed to Challenge Contemporary Assumptions." International Journal for Innovation Education and Research 2. 4 (2014): 71-76.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Is the Formation of Western Democratic Governments an Unrepeatible Historical Singularity? - A Critical Reading of Locke's Second Treatise of Government in Light of Contemporary Developing Countries." Review of History and Political Science 2. 2 (2014): 227-243.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Effective Nexus of Development Action and Public Policy." Rev. of Rethinking Development Challenges for Public Policy: Insights From Contemporary Africa, by K. Hanson, G. Kararach, and T. Shaw, eds. Development in Practice vol. 24.1 04/25/2014: 148-151.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Spiritual Dimensions of Poverty: Revisiting Gutierrez's A Theology of Liberation." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 3 (2014): 1-8.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Toward an Alternative to the GDP: A Critical Analysis of the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress Headed by Joseph Stiglitz, Amartya Sen and Jean-Paul Fitoussi." Journal of Social Science for Policy Implications 2. 1 (2014): 59-66.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Framing the Field of Religion and Development." Rev. of Religion and Development: Ways of Transforming the World, by Gerrie Ter Haar, ed.,. Spec. Issue of International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 4 of 1/2 2013: 3-8.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Religion, Justice and Development: A Theological Response to the Secular Frameworks of Rawls and Sen." Spec. Issue of International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 1/2 (2013): 69-84.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Capabilities Approach to Intellectual Property and Global Justice." Rev. of From the Goods to A Good Life: Intellectual Property and Global Justice, by Madhavi Sunder. Law and Society Review vol. 47.2 06/01/2013
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Book Review." Rev. of Democracy, Islam, and Secularism in Turkey, by Ahmet Kuru and Alfred Stepan, eds.,. International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 3.2 2012: 161-167.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Relation of Rights and Economics." Rev. of Economic Policy and Human Rights: Holding Governments to Account, by Radhika Balakrishnan and Diane Elson, eds. Development in Practice vol. 22.8 11/01/2012: 1149-1151.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Theoretical Contribution to the UN Discussion on Indigenous Rights- A Response to the Human Rights Council Resolution 18/8: Indigenous Peoples’ Language and Culture." Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and Human Rights Council 18/8. 18/8 (2011)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Submission in Response to Human Rights Council Resolution 15/25: The Right to Development." Intergovernmental Working Group- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Human Rights Council 15/25. 15/25 (2011)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Reading Heidegger on Time and History." Memory, Humanity and Meaning. 1 ed. vol. 1 Ed. Mihail Neamtu and Bogdan Taratu-Cazaban. Bucharest: Zeta Books, 2009. 365-380.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ecstatic Historical Time and the Eclipse of Christianity in Heidegger's "Hegel and the Greeks"." Proceedings of the XXII World Congress of Philosophy 45. 1 (2008): 305-31
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Experiencing the Transformation of the Divine in Heidegger's 1942 Lecture on Hegel's Concept of Experience." 2008 Heidegger Circle Conference, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois. 05/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "In the Revelatory Light of the Chiasmic Entwining." Rev. of The Phenomenology of Religious Life, by Martin Heidegger. Arhe vol. 5 2008: 221-228.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Introduction." Saving our Global Heritage. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Global Heritage Fund. Palo Alto: Global Heritage Fund, 2004. 12-27.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Re-Spiriting Hegel and the Passage of Deconstruction: Jean Hyppolite and the General Theory of Epochal Transformation." Journal of Speculative Philosophy 14. 1 (2000): 36-61.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time's Impossibility: The Holocaust and the Historicity of History." Contemporary Portrayals of Auschwitz: Philosophical Challenges. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. James Watson, Alan Rosenberg, Detlef Linke. Amherst: Humanity's Books, 2000. 283-296.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time of Consumption and the Consumption of Time." The Politics of Human Rights. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Orad Savic. London: Verso Press, 1999. 268-273.
- Sampath, Rajesh. Four-Dimensional Time: Twentieth Century Philosophies of History in Europe. 1st ed. Latham: University Press of America, 1999.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Consumption of Time and the Time of Consumption: Consumer Society and the "End" of History." Consumption, Markets and Culture 2. 4 (1998): 457-462.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Heidegger, Culture, and the Origin of Historical Time." International Readings on Theory, History and Philosophy of Culture. 1 ed. vol. 4 Ed. Lubava Moreva. St. Petersburg: Russian Institute for Philosophical and Cultural Research: EIDOS Center, 1997. 394-401.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Superseding Deconstruction: Blanchot, Hegel, and the Theory of Epochs." Qui Parle 10. 2 (1997): 61-88.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Theoretical Fragments on War, Perception and Historical Time." Current Issues in Political Philosophy: Justice and Welfare in Society and World Order. vol. 4 Ed. Peter Koller and Klaus Puhl. Kirchberg Am Wechsel, Austria: The Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 1996. 355-359.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Foucault, Historical Time, and the Origin of Man." Culture and Value: Philosophy and the Cultural Sciences. vol. 3 Ed. Kjell S. Johannessen and Tore Nordenstam. Kirchberg am Wechsel: The Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 1995. 412-417.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Historicity of Archaeology." Symploke 3. 2 (1995): 135-163.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Space of War and the Time of Media." Belgrade Circle 1. 2 (1995).