Assistant Professor of the Philosophy of Justice, Rights and Social Change
email@example.com • Heller-Brown Building • 157 • 781-736-5338
General topics in applied moral and political philosophy; comparative religions; theories of justice; development ethics; philosophy of human rights and theories of democracy
- COMH 201b - Comparative Humanities Graduate Seminar
- HS 210f - Comparative Approaches to Global Injustice and Social Inequality
- HS 235f - Democracy and Development
- HS 259f - Topics in Sustainable Development
- HS 292f - Critical Thinking and Advanced Professional Writing
- HS 293f - Religion and Development
- HS 301f - Sustainable International Development Advanced Study Seminar
- HS 307f - Human Development and Capabilities Approach in Practice
- HS 319f - Ethics, Rights, and Development
- HS 801g - Proseminar
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Decomposing Rawls's Philosophy of Justice with Foucault's Discipline and Punish." Journal of Sociology and Social Work 3. 1 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Developing a Nietzschean Genealogical Critique of the Metaphysical and Moral Underpinnings of the Hindu Caste System." Indian Philosophical Quarterly (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Examining Gyekye's Tradition and Modernity: Philosophical Reflections on African Experience Through the Lens of Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth." Current Politics and Economics of Africa 8. 1 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Expanding Sen's Idea of Justice as a Critical Response To Rawls's The Law of Peoples." International Journal of Ethics 11. 1 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "How Ambedkar's Annihilation of Caste (1936) Synthesizes and Surpasses Hegel's and Marx's Critiques of the Indian Caste System." Journal of Social Inclusion Studies 1. 3 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Jewish Feminist Theology, Human Rights and Sustainable Development: A Kierkegaardian Analysis of the Fall in Genesis and Nussbaum's Women and Human Development." 11/01/15. (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Temporality and Historicality in Heidegger's Being and Time as the Clue to the Origin of Christian Theology." IAFOR Journal of Ethics, Religion and Philosophy 2. 1 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Concept of Time (1924) as the Step Beyond Being and Time (1927) and After Deconstruction." International Journal of Ethics 11. 1 (2015). (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Dialectics of White Violence Against Black People in America: A comparison of the post-Reconstruction late 19th century and the alleged ‘post-racial society’ in the early 21st century." RACE AND INEQUALITY IN THE OBAMA ERA AND BEYOND: The 45th Annual Meeting of the Association of Black Sociologists, Chicago, IL. 08/01/15. (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Future of Global Justice: On Rawls's The Law of Peoples and the UN Post-2015 SDG Framework." Human Development and Capabilities Association 2015 Conference: Capabilities on the Move- Mobility and Aspirations, Georgetown University, Washington D.C.. 09/10/2015. (forthcoming)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Idea of the Nation-State as an Obstacle to the Right to Global Development." IAFOR Journal of Arts and Humanities 2. 2 (2015). (forthcoming)
- When Free Speech Comes at a Cost on Campuses. Panelist Sampath, Rajesh. The Huffington Post Live: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/free-speech-college-campus-safe-space/556dd38002a7603d6700005c, 2015.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Hegelian Appropriation of the Greek New Testament as a Response to Nietzsche's Anti-Christian Insights on the Origin of Moral Values." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 4 (2015): 43-60.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Phenomenological Assessment of Hegel's Dialectical Critique of the Indian Caste System in The Philosophy of History (1830)." Human/Non-Human and Post-Human: Phenomenology of the Object and Human Positioning in the Cosmos, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. The World Phenomenology Institute, 06/04/2015.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "An Inconveniently Moral Argument for the Death Penalty in the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Case." The Huffington Post 04/27/2015 (2015): <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajesh-sampath/an-inconveniently-moral-a_b_7135466.html?utm_hp_ref=death-penalty>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "India has outlawed homosexuality. But it's better to be transgender there than in the U.S.." Washington Post 01/29/2015 (2015): <http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/29/india-has-outlawed-homosexuality-but-its-better-to-be-transgender-there-than-in-the-u-s/>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Letter to the Editor RE: "In College and Hiding from Scary Ideas"." NY Times 03/28/2015 (2015): <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/opinion/sunday/campus-safe-spaces.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=1>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Morality, Ethics and Justice in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit as an Antipode to Rawls's A Theory of Justice." International Journal of Ethics 10. 4 (2015): 315-337.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Philosophy of Development Economics: Creating a Dialogue between Rawls and Development Economists." Journal of Economics and Development Studies 3. 1 (2015): 231-238.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Racial and Caste Oppression Have Many Similarities." The Conversation 06/19/2015. (2015): <https://theconversation.com/racial-and-caste-oppression-have-many-similarities-37710>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Speak or Forever Hold Your Peace: An Examination of the European Union's Venice Commission Report Addressing Freedom of Expression vs. International Criminalization of Blasphemy, Religious Insults, and Incitement to Religious Hatred." Current Politics and Economics of Europe 26. 1 (2015): 1-15.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Challenge of Articulating the Ethical Mandate to Reverse Climate Change." Global Future of Development: Global Futures Blog (2015): <http://global.georgetown.edu/futures/dialogue/week-9-climate-change/responses/the-challenge-of-articulating-the-ethical-mandate-to-reverse-climate-change>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Role of the United Nations Ethics Office: The Ethics of International Civil Service in Light of the Foundation and Mission of the United Nations." UN Chronicle: The Magazine of the United Nations Web Special. 1 (2015): <http://unchronicle.un.org/article/role-united-nations-ethics-officethe-ethics-international-civil-service-light-foundation-and/>.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Supreme Court's Religion: Upholding a Singular Political Conception of God in Town of Greece, New York v. Galloway (2014)." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 4 (2015): 61-70.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "To Be or Not to Be: The Significance of Ricoeur's Philosophical Ethics and Heidegger on Time and Death for Judging Contemporary American Debates on Physician-Assisted Suicide." International Journal of Ethics 10. 4 (2015): 339-358.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Phenomenological Appropriation of Ricoeur's Critique of Rawlsian Contractualism and Kantian Deontology for the Purposes of Building a New Theory of International Economic Justice." International Journal of Philosophy and Theology 2. 4 (2014): 23-43.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Review of Rawls Explained: From Fairness to Utopia." Rev. of Rawls Explained: From Fairness to Utopia, by Paul Voice. Philosophy of the Social Sciences vol. 44 of 6 2014: 843-847.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Aligning Global Economic Justice and International Law: A Philosophical Critique of the 2013 U.S. Supreme Court Decision That Limits the Application of the Alien Tort Statute." Journal of Law and Criminal Justice 2. 1 (2014): 197-211.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Deconstructing Taylor's A Secular Age to Get at a Deeper Sense of the Philosophical Problem." Review of Arts and Humanities 3. 1 (2014): 45-54.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Education, Capabilities and Development: Appropriating Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed to Challenge Contemporary Assumptions." International Journal for Innovation Education and Research 2. 4 (2014): 71-76.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Is the Formation of Western Democratic Governments an Unrepeatible Historical Singularity? - A Critical Reading of Locke's Second Treatise of Government in Light of Contemporary Developing Countries." Review of History and Political Science 2. 2 (2014): 227-243.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Effective Nexus of Development Action and Public Policy." Rev. of Rethinking Development Challenges for Public Policy: Insights From Contemporary Africa, by K. Hanson, G. Kararach, and T. Shaw, eds. Development in Practice vol. 24.1 04/25/2014: 148-151.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Spiritual Dimensions of Poverty: Revisiting Gutierrez's A Theology of Liberation." International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 3 (2014): 1-8.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Toward an Alternative to the GDP: A Critical Analysis of the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress Headed by Joseph Stiglitz, Amartya Sen and Jean-Paul Fitoussi." Journal of Social Science for Policy Implications 2. 1 (2014): 59-66.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Framing the Field of Religion and Development." Rev. of Religion and Development: Ways of Transforming the World, by Gerrie Ter Haar, ed.,. Spec. Issue of International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 4 of 1/2 2013: 3-8.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Minority Rights and the Chinese Central Party's Doctrine of the Scientific Development Concept." Harvard Project For Asian and International Relations 2013 Conference: East Meets West- Sustainable Development in the 21st Century. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. 02/15/2013.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Religion, Justice and Development: A Theological Response to the Secular Frameworks of Rawls and Sen." Spec. Issue of International Journal of Religion and Society 4. 1/2 (2013): 69-84.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Capabilities Approach to Intellectual Property and Global Justice." Rev. of From the Goods to A Good Life: Intellectual Property and Global Justice, by Madhavi Sunder. Law and Society Review vol. 47.2 06/01/2013
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Book Review." Rev. of Democracy, Islam, and Secularism in Turkey, by Ahmet Kuru and Alfred Stepan, eds.,. International Journal of Religion and Society vol. 3.2 2012: 161-167.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Relation of Rights and Economics." Rev. of Economic Policy and Human Rights: Holding Governments to Account, by Radhika Balakrishnan and Diane Elson, eds. Development in Practice vol. 22.8 11/01/2012: 1149-1151.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "A Theoretical Contribution to the UN Discussion on Indigenous Rights- A Response to the Human Rights Council Resolution 18/8: Indigenous Peoples’ Language and Culture." Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and Human Rights Council 18/8. 18/8 (2011)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ethical Arguments for Global Economic Distributive Justice and and Global Institutional Frameworks." 17th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference: Moving Toward a Sustainable Future, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York City, New York. 05/10/2011.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Submission in Response to Human Rights Council Resolution 15/25: The Right to Development." Intergovernmental Working Group- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Human Rights Council 15/25. 15/25 (2011)
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Reading Heidegger on Time and History." Memory, Humanity and Meaning. 1 ed. vol. 1 Ed. Mihail Neamtu and Bogdan Taratu-Cazaban. Bucharest: Zeta Books, 2009. 365-380.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "An Onto-Theological Reading of Derrida's Of Grammatology in Light of the Temporal Dynamics of Exodus 3:14." Theology and Religious Reflection Section of the American Academy of Religion International Meeting and International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, Auckland, New Zealand. 07/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Ecstatic Historical Time and the Eclipse of Christianity in Heidegger's "Hegel and the Greeks"." Proceedings of the XXII World Congress of Philosophy 45. 1 (2008): 305-31
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Experiencing the Transformation of the Divine in Heidegger's 1942 Lecture on Hegel's Concept of Experience." 2008 Heidegger Circle Conference, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois. 05/01/2008.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "In the Revelatory Light of the Chiasmic Entwining." Rev. of The Phenomenology of Religious Life, by Martin Heidegger. Arhe vol. 5 2008: 221-228.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Introduction." Saving our Global Heritage. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Global Heritage Fund. Palo Alto: Global Heritage Fund, 2004. 12-27.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Re-Spiriting Hegel and the Passage of Deconstruction: Jean Hyppolite and the General Theory of Epochal Transformation." Journal of Speculative Philosophy 14. 1 (2000): 36-61.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time's Impossibility: The Holocaust and the Historicity of History." Contemporary Portrayals of Auschwitz: Philosophical Challenges. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. James Watson, Alan Rosenberg, Detlef Linke. Amherst: Humanity's Books, 2000. 283-296.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Time of Consumption and the Consumption of Time." The Politics of Human Rights. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Orad Savic. London: Verso Press, 1999. 268-273.
- Sampath, Rajesh. Four-Dimensional Time: Twentieth Century Philosophies of History in Europe. 1st ed. Latham: University Press of America, 1999.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Consumption of Time and the Time of Consumption: Consumer Society and the "End" of History." Consumption, Markets and Culture 2. 4 (1998): 457-462.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Heidegger, Culture, and the Origin of Historical Time." International Readings on Theory, History and Philosophy of Culture. 1 ed. vol. 4 Ed. Lubava Moreva. St. Petersburg: Russian Institute for Philosophical and Cultural Resarch: EIDOS Center, 1997. 394-401.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Superseding Deconstruction: Blanchot, Hegel, and the Theory of Epochs." Qui Parle 10. 2 (1997): 61-88.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Theoretical Fragments on War, Perception and Historical Time." Current Issues in Political Philosophy: Justice and Welfare in Society and World Order. vol. 4 Ed. Peter Koller and Klaus Puhl. Kirchberg Am Wechsel, Austria: The Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 1996. 355-359.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "Foucault, Historical Time, and the Origin of Man." Culture and Value: Philosophy and the Cultural Sciences. vol. 3 Ed. Kjell S. Johannessen and Tore Nordenstam. Kirchberg am Wechsel: The Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 1995. 412-417.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Historicity of Archaeology." Symploke 3. 2 (1995): 135-163.
- Sampath, Rajesh. "The Space of War and the Time of Media." Belgrade Circle 1. 2 (1995).
Raj completed his PhD at the University of California, Irvine in the humanities where he studied under the French philosopher Jacques Derrida, the founder of deconstruction. Subsequently, he did a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California, Berkeley and a D.A.A.D. research scientist fellowship in Germany where he published articles in continental European philosophy. From 2006-2009, he was an adjunct lecturer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and continued to serve on the Provost Council for College Eight at the University until June 2012. His current research interests and disciplinary expertise include the following: twentieth century Anglo-American and European moral and political philosophy, theories of modernization and social-historical change, epistemology and the sociology of knowledge in comparative religious studies, and comparisons of Western philosophy and traditional African, Indian and Chinese philosophy. Teaching interests include the Anglo-American, European and Global South traditions of philosophical ethics and theories of justice when applied to sustainable development issues.
In addition to publishing in academic journals, Raj has written an op ed for The Washington Post, a letter to the Editor for the NY Times, a short article for The Conversation, and a blog for The Huffington Post on various topics in law, public and social policy. He has appeared on a panel on Huff Post Live that discussed diversity, rights and free speech at American university campuses.
Raj teaches in the Graduate Programs in Sustainable International Development and he is a core member of the Research Center for Global Development and Sustainability at the Heller School.
In addition to being a full-time faculty member of the Heller School, he is a member of the core faculty in the Masters Degree Program in Comparative Humanities within the Division of the Humanities and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In the Spring of 2016, he will teach the core required graduate seminar in MACH on the "Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of the Humanities."
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Berkeley
Awards and Honors
- Member of the Development Studies Association (2012)
- American Academy of Religion: Member of the International Development and Religion Working Group (2011)
- Member of the Human Development and Capabilities Association (2011)
- Member of the International Development Ethics Association (2011)
- Fellow, College Eight, University of California, Santa Cruz (2006)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst, Research Scientist Fellow, Bremen Universitaet (1999)
- Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (1996 - 1998)