firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 369 • 617 868-2468
Service programs, service-learning and experiential education; university-community partnerships; college access and other youth development programs; program evaluation; political advocacy, protest, and community organizing.
- HRNS/HS 232a - Team Consulting Project Workshop
- HS 217f - Eli J. Segal Seminar in Citizen Leadership
- HS 342b - Policy Advocacy, Protest, and Community Organizing
- HS 801g - Proseminar
- Lawrence Neil Bailis. "Letter to Editor on AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary." Boston Globe
- Bailis, Lawrence N and Susan Shevitz. "Turning Up the Volume: A Call for More Youth Voice in Jewish Service-Learning." Journal of Jewish Communal Service 87. Winter/spring 2012 (2012): 173-180.
- Bailis, Lawrence N and Kate McPherson. "Progress Monitoring, Assessment, and Evaluation." Learn, Serve, Succeed: Tools and Techniques for Youth Service-Learning.. Ed. Kate McPherson. Minneapolis: Search Institute, 2011
- Bailis, Lawrence N and Susan Shevitz. ""Using Theory of Change as the Framework for an Evaluation"." Torah at the Center Winter 2009 (2009).
- Bailis, Lawrence N and Tony Ganger. ""A Framework for Future Research: The Community Impacts of Service Learning"." Growing to Greatness 2006: The State of Service Learning Project (2006).
- Bailis, Lawrence N (co-author). "Promoting (and Maintaining) Civic Partnerships: A Conceptual History, Framework, and a Call to Action." Network (2004).
- Bailis, Lawrence N (co-author). "Practical Issues in the Conduct of Large-Scale Multi-Site Research and Evaluation." Studying Service-Learning: Innovations in Education Research Methodology. Ed. Shelley Billig and Alan Waterman. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2003
- Bailis, Lawrence N. "Overview of What is Known about the Scope of Community-Based Service Learning in the United States." Generator: The Journal of Service-Learning and Youth Leadership 21. 3 (2003).
- Bailis, Lawrence N (co-author). "The Impact of Service-Learning on Civic Attitudes and Beahviors of MIddle and High School Youth." Service-Learning: The Essence of the Pedagogy. Ed. Andrew Furco and Shelley Billig. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing, 2002
- Bailis, Lawrence N. "The National Society for Experiential Education in Service-Learning." New Directions in Higher Education 114, Summer 2001 (2001).
- Bailis, Lawrence N. ""Coordination among Administrative Agencies"." Welfare System Reform: Coordinating Federal, State, and Local Public Assistance Programs. Ed. Edward Jennings and Neal Zank. Westport CT: Greenwood Press, 1987
- Bailis, Lawrence N, co-author. Medicaid Eligibility: Problems and Solutions. Boulder CO:Westview Press, 1979.
- Bailis, Lawrence N. Bread or Justice: Grassroots Organizing in the Welfare Rights Movement Lexington. MA: Heath/Lexington Books, 1974.
During three decades at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Lawrence Bailis has taught courses for MPP and other students on citizen leadership and service as well as policy advocacy, protest and community organizing. He has also refined and taught the capstone course for MBA students and a seminar for undergraduates, both of which involve partnerships with the community, and, in the past, offered a PhD level course on welfare and poverty.
He has conducted research at the Center for Youth and Communities and several other Heller research centers for numerous federal, state, and local agencies, as well as nonprofit organizations and foundations. His current and recently completed research includes evaluations of federally funded programs to promote replication of effective social programming for youth and to create school-community partnerships in the Bronx, several privately funded advocacy efforts to promote increase utilization of free meals for youth in the summer, a Gates foundation-funded efforts to promote acess to higher education, and a corporate effort to promote financial literacy education.
He has also served as director of the Eli J Segal Citizen Leadership Program and now serves as a member of the Eli Segal Program Advisory Committee. He also serves as as the Brandeis representative on the Waltham Partnership for Youth, where he is the clerk of the board.
He has recently completed his service as Chair of the board of directors of the Massachusetts Service Alliance, and now serves as Chair of the Board of the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action (JALSA), and clerk of the Waltham Partnership for Youth. He also serves on the boards of JOIN for Justice, and the Silent Spring Institute which studies the causes of breast cancer.
Awards and Honors
- Elected Board Chair-Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action (2017)
- Member of Baker-Polito Gubernatorial Transition Committee (2014 - 2015)
- Outstanding AmeriCorps State Service Commissioner in US for Innovation and Leadership by America's Service Commissions (2014)
- Participant in White House Civic Learning and National Service Summit (2014)
- Member, Visiting Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, Mount Ida College (2008 - 2012)
- Named Faculty Fellow to Promote Community Engagement by Massachusetts Campus Compact (2007 - 2009)
- Member, Service Learning Leaders Circle (2006)
- Named John Glenn Fellow for Study of University-Community Relationships (2004)
- Voted one of the three most influential researchers in service-learning field (with Alan Melchior) (2004)