Rebecca Marie Loya
Senior Research Associate
Rebecca Loya is a Senior Research Associate at the Institute on Assets and Social Policy (IASP) at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. Loya conducts research on family economic stability and the gendered and racialized nature of economic inequalities in the U.S. Her recent work at IASP focuses on Children’s Savings Account (CSA) programs and entrepreneurship in communities of color. Her past projects at IASP include analysis of the gender-racial wealth gap; efforts to integrate asset building into human service work; the state asset learning cluster; and the Massachusetts Asset Development Commission. She has also studied the role of sexual violence in creating economic disadvantage and the protective effects of financial assets and social capital. Prior to joining the IASP staff, Rebecca spent two years as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Public Policy at Brown University. Rebecca holds a PhD in Social Policy from the Heller School of Social Policy and Management at Brandeis and a Master's degree in Psychology from Stanford University.
Awards and Honors
- Barbara Wakefield Award for contributions to the Heller School (2013)
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship (2009 - 2012)
- Loya, Rebecca Marie. Children’s Savings Account Survey of Private Funding 2015-2016. Evanston, IL Asset Funders Network: 2018.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie, Santos, Jessica. Cultivating CSAs: The Growth and Spread of Children's Savings Accounts in New England. Waltham, MA Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2017.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie. Children's Savings Account (CSA) Timeline 1991-2019. 3/14/17. Institute on Assets and Social Policy. <http://iasp.brandeis.edu/pdfs/2017/TIMELINE%203-3.pdf>.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie; Garber, Judith; Santos, Jessica. Levers for Success: Key Features and Outcomes of Children’s Savings Account Programs.. Waltham, MA Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2017.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie. "A Bridge to Recovery: How Assets Affect Sexual Assault Survivors’ Economic Well-Being." Sage Open 5. 1 (2015): 1-15.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie; Boguslaw, J.; & Erickson-Warfield, M.. Empowering Prosperity: Strengthening Human Services Impacts through Asset Integration. Waltham, MA Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2015.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie; Mann, A.; Boguslaw, J.; & Shapiro, T.. Tipping the Scale: How Assets Shape Economic Wellbeing for Women and Families. Waltham, MA Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2015.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie. "Rape as an economic crime: The impact of sexual violence on survivors’ employment and economic wellbeing." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 30. 16 (2014): 2793-2813.
- Loya, Rebecca Marie. "The role of sexual violence in creating and maintaining economic insecurity among asset-poor women of color." Violence Against Women 20. 11 (2014): 1299-1320.