Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld is a professor in the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University, where he leads research on agile institutions and teaches classes on strategy and operations. Previously he served as a professor and dean in the School of Labor and Employment Relations at the University of Illinois, United States. Joel serves as editor for the Negotiation Journal at the Program on Negotiation at the Harvard Law School. Joel is an award-winning author who has co-authored or co-edited eleven books, including Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution (Basic Books, 2017), Inside the Ford-UAW Transformation: Pivotal Events in Valuing Work and Delivering Results (MIT Press, 2015), Multinational Human Resource Management and the Law (Edward Elgar, 2013), Valuable Disconnects in Organizational Learning Systems (Oxford University Press, 2005), Lean Enterprise Value (Palgrave, 2002), Knowledge-Driven Work (Oxford University Press, 1998), and Strategic Negotiations (Harvard Business School Press, 1994), and over ninety-five articles, book chapters, and policy papers on high performance work systems, transformation in labor-management relations, negotiations and conflict resolution, economic development, and engineering systems. He has helped to lead large-scale change initiatives in public and private sectors in Australia, Bermuda, Canada, England, Iceland, Jamaica, New Zeeland, Panama, and the United States. Joel’s current research is centered on stakeholder alignment in complex systems – a foundation for institutions in the 21st Century.
Awards and Honors
- Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma as a Heller MBA faculty member (2018)
- Joe Isaacs Lecture, cosponsored by Monash University and the University of Melbourne (2015)
- President, Labor and Employment Relations Association (2009 - 2010)
- Best Paper (with Nancy Leveson), International System Safety Conference (2004)
- Engineering Sciences Book of the Year Award, International Academy of Astronautics (2003)
- Excellence Award for Interdisciplinary Scholarship, MSU Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (1994)
- Scholarly Achievement Award, Human Resources Division, Academy of Management (1992)
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, and Joe Isaac. "Creating Value and Mitigating Harm: Assessing Institutional Objectives in Australian Industrial Relations." Economic & Labour Relations Review TBD. TBD (2018): TBD. (forthcoming)
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, ed. Editor. Cambridge, MA: Wiley / Program on Negotiation at the Harvard Law School, 33 2017.
- Neil Gershenfeld, Alan Gershenfeld, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld. Designing Reality -- Website and resources. <http://designingreality.org/>.
- Neil Gershenfeld, Alan Gershenfeld, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld. Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution. New York: Basic Books, 2017.
- The Stakeholder Alignment Collaborative (Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, corresponding co-author). "Five Ways That Consortia Can Catalyze Open Science." Nature 543 (2017): 615-618.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, ed. Negotiation Journal. Cambridge, MA: Wiley / Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, 32 2016.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel. "Build It, But Will They Come? A Geoscience Cyberinfrastructure Baseline Analysis,." Data Science Journal 15 (2016): 1-15.
- Eaton, Adrianne, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, and Saul Rubenstein. "Labor-Management Partnership in the United States: Islands of Success in a Hostile Context." Developing Positive Employment Relations International Experiences of Labour Management Partnership. Ed. Adrian Wilkinson and Stewart Johnstone. New York: Palgrave, 2016
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, Dan Brooks, Noel Cowell, Christos A. Ioannou, Marty Mulloy, Danny Roberts, Tanzia Saunders, Søren Viemose, Kalovig. "Financialization, Collective Bargaining, and the Public Interest." Financial Market Developments and Labor Relations. Ed. Christian E. Weller, ed. Champaign, IL: LERA, 2015
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, Dan Brooks, and Martin Mulloy. Inside the Ford-UAW Transformation: Pivotal Events in Valuing Work and Delivering Results.. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2015.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel. "Book Review Essay: A Behavioral Theory of Labor Negotiations: An Analysis of a Social Interaction System. By Richard Walton and Robert McKersie.." Rev. of A Behavioral Theory of Labor Negotiations, by Richard Walton and Robert McKersie. Industrial and Labor Relations Review vol. 68 2015: 955-960.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel. "The Biomarkers Consortium: Dynamic Tension and the Art of Managing Collaborative Complexity.." Sloan Management Review 57. 1 (August) (2015): 16-19.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel; Marty Mulloy; Dan Brooks. "“The Decline and Resurgence of the U.S. Auto Industry,”." Economic Policy Institute Policy Papers NA. NA (2015)
- Finkin, Matt, and Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld. Multinational Human Resource Management and the Law: Common Workplace Problems in Different Legal Environments.. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, 2013.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel. "Bargaining When the Future of an Industry is at Stake: Lessons from UAW-Ford Collective Bargaining Negotiations." Negotiations Journal 27. 2 (2011): 115-145.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, editor. The Human Side of Enterprise (by Douglas McGregor), Annotated Edition. New York: McGraw Hill, 2006.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, and J. Kevin Ford. Valuable Disconnects in Organizational Learning Systems: Integrating Bold Visions and Harsh Realities. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Earll Murman, Tom Allen, Kirkor Bozdogan, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Hugh McManus, Debbie Nightingale, Eric Rebentisch, Tom Shields, Fred Stahl, Myles Walton, Joyce Warmkessel, Stanley Weiss, and Sheila Widnall. Lean Enterprise Value: Insights from MIT’s Lean Aerospace Initiative. New York: Palgrave, 2002.
- Work Practices Diffusion Team (Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Michio Nitta, Betty Barrett, Nejib Belhedi, Simon Chow, Takashi Inaba, Iwao Ishino, Wen-Jeng Lin, Michael Moore, William Mothersell, Jennifer Palthe, Shobha Ramanand, Mark Strolle, and Arthur Wheat. Knowledge-Driven Work: Unexpected Lessons from Japanese and United States Work Practices.. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Walton, Richard, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, and Robert McKersie. Strategic Negotiations: A Theory of Change in Labor-Management Relations.. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 1994.
- Ferman, Louis, Michele Hoyman, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld and Ernest Savoie, eds.. Joint Training Programs: Union-Management Approach to Preparing Workers for the Future. Ithaca, NY: Cornell ILR Press, 1991.