Laura A Sullivan
Senior Research Associate
Dr. Laura Sullivan is a Senior Research Associate at the Institute on Assets and Social Policy, where she conducts research on the economic security of U.S. households and factors leading to long-term financial well-being and vulnerabilities. Dr. Sullivan is an experienced policy researcher and has co-authored and led the quantitative analysis of national survey data for a number of IASP publications in the areas of racial wealth disparities, retirement security, and the measurement of economic security. Dr. Sullivan has also taught graduate-level quantitative methods and policy analysis courses at American University. A 2013 PhD graduate from the Heller School, her dissertation research focused on understanding the financial impacts of household-level economic shocks on households approaching retirement. Previously, she worked in policy advocacy promoting economic development in low-income communities and communities of color in California and was an AmeriCorps member coordinating literacy programs in public schools in the Bay Area.
- Traub, A., Sullivan, L., Meschede, T. & Shapiro, T.. The Asset Value of Whiteness: Understanding the Racial Wealth Gap. Waltham, Massachusetts Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2017.
- Sullivan, L. & Meschede, T.. "Race, Gender, and Senior Economic Well-Being: How Financial Vulnerability Over the Life Course Shapes Retirement for Women of Color." Public Policy and Aging Report. 26. 2 (2016): 58-62.
- Sullivan, L., Meschede, T., Shapiro, T., Asante-Muhammed, D., & Nieves, E.. Equitable Investments in the Next Generation: Designing Policies to Close the Racial Wealth Gap.. Waltham, Massachusetts Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2016.
- Sullivan, L., Meschede, T., Shapiro, T.. "How Measurement of Inequalities in Wealth by Race/Ethnicity Impacts Narrative and Policy." Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management. Washington, DC. November 2016.
- Sullivan, L., Meschede, T., Dietrich, L., Shapiro, T., Huelsman, M., & Draut, T.. Less Debt, More Equity: Lowering Student Debt While Closing the Black-White Wealth Gap.. Waltham, Massachusetts Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2015.
- Sullivan, L., Meschede, T., Mann, A. Ramirez-Kuykendall, S. & Shapiro, T.. Navigating and Unclear Path: Preparing for Retirement in the 21st Century. Waltham, Massachusetts Institute on Assets and Social Policy: 2015.