Scientist and Lecturer
firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 262 • 781-736-3717
Health services research, with a focus on financing, payment, organization and quality of behavioral health care. Use of technology to improve access to and quality of behavioral health care.
- HS 520a - Payment and Financing of Health Care
- Quinn AE, Reif S, Merrick EL, Horgan CM, Garnick DW, Stewart MT. "How do private health plans manage specialty behavioral health treatment entry and continuing care?." Psychiatric Services (2017). (forthcoming)
- Quinn AE, Stewart MT, Brolin M, Horgan CM, Lane N.. "Massachusetts Substance Use Disorder Treatment Organizations’ Perspectives on the Affordable Care Act: Changes in Payment, Services, and System Design." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 2017; epub ahead of print 3/28/2017 (2017).
- Reif S, Creedon TB, Horgan CH, Stewart MT, Garnick DW. "Commercial health plan coverage of treatment for selected opioid use disorders from 2003 to 2014." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs epub ahead of print 3/28/2017. (2017).
- Horgan CM, Hodgkin D, Stewart MT, Quinn AE, Merrick EL, Reif S, Garnick DW, Creedon TB. . Psychiatric Services, (2016) 67(2):162-68.. "Health Plan’ Early Response to Federal Parity Legislation for Mental Health and Addiction Services." Psychiatric Services, 67. 2 (2016): 162-68.
- Horgan CM, Stewart MT, Reif S, Garnick DW, Hodgkin D, Merrick EL, Quinn AE. "Behavioral health services in the changing landscape of private health plans." Psychiatric Services epub ahead of print 2/14/16. (2016).
- Quinn AE, Reif S, Evans B, Creedon T, Stewart M, Garnick D, Horgan C.. "Health plan HIT strategies to improve behavioral health care." American Journal of Managed Care 22. 12 (2016): 810-15.
- Reif S, Horgan CM, Hodgkin D, Matteucci A, Creedon TB, Stewart MT. "Access to Addiction Pharmacotherapy in Private Health Plans." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 66. (2016): 23-29.
- Hodgkin D, Horgan CM, Quinn AE, Merrick EL, Stewart MT, Leslie LK.. "Management of newer medications for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in commercial health plans." Clinical Theraputics 36. 12 (2015): 2034-46.
- Stewart, M. T., Horgan, C. M., Garnick, D. W., Ritter, G., McLellan, A. T.. "Performance contracting and quality improvement in outpatient treatment: Effects on waiting time and length of stay." J Subst Abuse Treat 44. 1 (2012): 27-33.
- Brucker, Debra L and Maureen T Stewart. "Performance-Based Contracting Within a State Substance Abuse Treatment System: A Preliminary Exploration of Differences in Client Access and Client Outcomes." Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research Published online 20 January. (2011).
- Stewart, Maureen T and Constance M Horgan. "Health Services and Financing of Treatment." Alcohol Research & Health 33. 3 (2011): 389-94.
- CM Horgan, EL Merrick, M Stewart, SH Scholle, S Shih. "Improving medication management of depression in health plans." Psychiatric Services 59. 1 (2008): 72-7.
- EL Merrick, CM Horgan, DW Garnick, S Reif, M Stewart. "Accessing Specialty Behavioral Health Treatment in Private Health Plans." Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research published online 23 December. (2008).
- CM Horgan, EL Merrick, S Reif, M Stewart. "Internet-based behavioral health services in health plans." Psychiatric Services 58. 3 (2007): 307.
- J Needleman, P Buerhaus, M Stewart, S Mattke, K Zelevinsky. "Nurse-Staffing In Hospitals: Is there a Business Case for Quality." Health Affairs January/February. (2006).
- S Mattke, J Needleman, P Buerhaus, M Stewart, K Zelevinsky. "Evaluating the Role of Patient Sample Definitions for Quality Indicators Sensitive to Nurse Staffing Patterns." Medical Care February 2004. Suppl (2004): II21-33.
- J Needleman, P Buerhaus, S Mattke, M Stewart, K Zelevinsky. "Measuring Hospital Quality: Can Medicare Data Substitute for All-Payer Data?." Health Services Research December, 2003. (2003): 1487-1508..
- J Needleman, P Buerhaus, S Mattke, M Stewart, K Zelevinsky. "Nurse-Staffing Levels and the Quality of Care in Hospitals." New England Journal of Medicine 30 May 2002. (2002): 1715-1722.
- P Buerhaus, J Needleman, S Mattke, M Stewart. "Strengthening Hospital Nursing." Health Affairs September / October 2002. (2002): 123 - 132.
Maureen Stewart, PhD is a Scientist and Lecturer in the Institute for Behavioral Health at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. Her research interests include the financing, payment and organization of behavioral health services and use of technology to improve access to and quality of behavioral health care. Dr. Stewart is currently the project director for a nationally representative study of alcohol, drug, and mental health services in private health plans and project director for a study of provider incentives in Maine outpatient addiction treatment.
Awards and Honors
- NIDA Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Individual Predoctoral Fellows (2007 - 2009)
- AcademyHealth Health Services Research Impact Award for J Needleman, P Buerhaus, M Stewart, S Mattke, K Zelevinsky, “Nurse-Staffing In Hospitals: Is there a Business Case for Quality?,” Health Affairs (January / February 2006). (2006)
- NIAAA Ruth L. Kirschstein Research Service Award (2003 - 2006)