Scientist and Lecturer
Moaven Razavi, PhD is a Scientist in the Schneider Institutes for Health Policy at the Heller School of Brandeis University.
From 1997-2005, he held a faculty appointment in the Institute for Research in Planning and Development (IRPD) in Tehran, Iran. He was appointed Director of the Bureau for Development Research of the Institute from 2003 to 2005. He has served as a member of Iran’s National Committee of Health Sector Reform since 2002. From 1999 to 2003, he served as a senior co-investigator of the Good Governance Project: National Budgeting Reform, a project sponsored by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Dr. Razavi also played a key role in preparation of "The First Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Report 2004: Achievements and Challenges" as the lead author and the member of editorial committee.
Dr. Razavi’s key contributions to health policy owe to his leadership in conducting a series of studies funded by The World Bank and the World Health Organization on the subject of poverty and health with a focus on catastrophic health expenditures. In 2002, he represented Iran’s health sector in a global conference on Poverty and Health held by the World Health Organization and Harvard University in Greece.
In 2005, Dr. Razavi was awarded an International Ford Foundation Fellowship in International Health Policy at Brandeis University, and one year later he was awarded the Heller School Scholarship for the PhD program in Health Policy. He officially joint the the Schneider Institutes for Health Policy in 2008. At the Schneider Institutes, he worked with the Institute for Global Health and Development as well as the Institutes on Health Care Systems and co-authored numerous working papers supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The World Bank, and the US federal agencies. He was a co-recipient of the Massachusetts General Hospital’s Clinical Innovation Award (2008) and presented his research to the Massachusetts Medical Society in competition for the MMS Information Technology Award 2009.
He is currently the task lead for Identification of Inefficiencies in Health Care Spending for State of Vermont and served as co-investigator of the Medicare Health Plan Value Methodology, and a senior researcher in other health policy research projects including membership in the Technical Assistance Team to the Beacon Community Medicare Claims Data Performance Measurement project for CMS. The project Episode Grouper for Medicare is another federally funded project in which Dr. Razavi is serving as a Senior Research Associate.
Dr. Razavi has received research support from diverse institutions such as Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), states of Vermont and Mississippi, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, GSK pharmaceutical Co., The World Bank, World Health Organization, and UNDP. He teaches three course in health economics and a course in research method at graduate level.
Awards and Honors
- Ford Foundation Scholarship for Brandeis University. (2005)
- Moaven Razavi and Nader Habibi. "Chapter 8: Decomposition of Gender Wage Differentials in Iran: An Empirical Study Based on Households Survey Data." Iran in the Global Economy: The Economics of Populism and Reform. 1st ed. Ed. Parvin Alizadeh and Hassan Hakimian. London, U.K.: Routledge Publication, 2013 (forthcoming)
- Wu Zeng, William B. Stason, , Stephen Fournier, Moaven Razavi, Grant Ritter, Gail K. Strickler, Sarita M. Bhalotra Donald S. Shepard. "Benefits and costs of intensive lifestyle modification programs for symptomatic coronary disease in Medicare beneficiaries." American Heart Journal (2013). (forthcoming)
- Ben Walker, John McGown, Diana Bowser, Alison Patev, Frances Reade, Maoven Razavi, David Dzielek, and Linda Southward. "An Assessment of Emergency Department Use Among Mississippi’s Medicaid Population." Journal of Mississippi Medical Association 56. 5 (2016): 120-4.
- Tschampl, Cynthia A., Garnick, D.W., Zuroweste, E., Razavi, M., and Shepard, D.S. "Use of transnational services to prevent treatment interruption in tuberculosis-infected persons who leave the United States." Emerging Infectious Diseases 22. 3 (2016): 417-425.
- Reza F. Saidi, Moaven Razavi, A. Benedict Cosimi, and Dicken S. C. Ko. "Competition in Liver Transplantation: Helpful or Harmful?." LIVER TRANSPLANTATION 21. (2015): 145-150.
- Moaven Razavi, Donald S. Shepard, Jose A. Suaya, William B. Stason. "Postoperative Staphylococcus aureus Infections in Medicare Beneficiaries." PLoS ONE 9. 11 (2014): 1-10.
- Moaven Razavi, Stephen Fournier, Donald S. Shepard, Grant Ritter, Gail K. Strickler, William B. Stason. "Effects of Lifestyle Modification Programs on Cardiac Risk Factors." PLoS ONE 9. 12: e114772. doi:10.1371 (2014): 1-16.
- Luca M. Bigatello, Houman Amirfarzan, Asieh K. Haghighi, Beverly Newhouse, J. Mauricio Del Rio, Kathrin Allen, Anne Chang, Ulrich Schmidt, Moaven Razavi. "Effects of routine monitoring of delirium in a surgical / trauma intensive care unit." Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 74. 3 (2013): 876–883.
- Christopher P. Tompkins, Timothy C. Martin, Grant A. Ritter, John D. Chapman, Moaven Razavi, Sandra Lesikar, Kristine Martin Anderson, Catherine Eikel Major. Medicare Spending per Beneficiary. 2012.
- Jennifer Perloff, Moaven Razavi, Cindy Thomas, John Chapman, Chris Tompkins, and Deloitte LLP Actuary team. Medicare Health Plan Value Methodology (submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services). 2012.
- Razavi, Moaven and Nader Habibi. Decomposition of Gender Wage Differentials in Iran: an Empirical Study Based on Households Survey Data. Proc. of International Iranian Economic Association (IIEA), Inaugural Conference on Iran’s Economy. University of London (December 7th -8th, 2011): International Iranian Economic Association (IIEA), 2012.
- Robert Mechanic, Jennifer Perloff, Darren Zinner, Moaven Razavi, Michael J. Keane. Evaluation of HHS Delivery System Reform Efforts and Affordable Care Act Provisions: Consolidated Evaluation Design Recommendations. 2012.
- Moaven Razavi. "Impact of Structural Adjustment Programs on Health Care Financing in Iran." Diss. Brandeis University, May 2011.
- William B. Stason, Moaven Razavi, Deborah S. Jacobs, Donald S. Shepard, Jose A. Suaya, Johns L, Perry Rosenthal. "Clinical benefits of the Boston ocular surface prosthesis." American Journal of Ophthalmology Volume 149. Issue 1 (2010): Pages 54-61.
- A.K. Nandakumar, Marwa Farag, Moaven Razavi, Oladipo Fadayomi, Ndidiamaka Obadan, Joanne Beswick. "Barriers to Access to Health Care: An analysis of burden of disease, service utilization and health outcomes by income quintiles.
- A.K. Nandakumar, Ndidiamaka Obadan, Moaven Razavi, Joanne Beswick , Nellie El Ghossaini. "Burden of Disease and Health Financing in the Middle East and Northern Africa Region.
- Donald S. Shepard, Moaven Razavi, William B. Stason, Deborah S. Jacobs, Jose A. Suaya, Mark Cohen, Perry Rosenthal. "Economic appraisal of the Boston ocular surface prosthesis." American Journal of Ophthalmology 148. 6 (2009): 860-868.
- Gary Gaumer, Moaven Razavi,Stanley Wallack, A.K. Nandakumar. "Concept Note: An Optimization Based Model for Examining the Effectiveness of Alternative Barrier Reduction Policies to the Introduction of New Health Technologies in Developing Countries." 2009.
- Moaven Razavi, Donald S. Shepard, Sarita M. Bhalotra, Gail K. Strickler, Grant Ritter, William B. Stason. Evaluation of Lifestyle Modification and Cardiac Rehabilitation in Medicare Beneficiaries: Effectiveness of Lifestyle Modification Programs in Changing Behaviors of Elders. Washington, DC Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: 2009.
- Razavi Moaven, A.K. Nandakumar, Stanley Wallack, Gary Gaumer. "Achieving a Better Understanding of The Malaria Control System." 2009.
- Razavi Moaven, Donald S. Shepard, Sarita M. Bhalotra, Gail K. Strickler, Grant Ritter, William B. Stason. Evaluation of Lifestyle Modification and Cardiac Rehabilitation in Medicare Beneficiaries: Effectiveness of Lifestyle Modification Programs in Changing Behaviors of Elders. 2009.
- Sarita M. Bhalotra, Moaven Razavi, Donald S. Shepard, Gail Strickler, Grant Ritter, William B. Stason. Evaluation of Lifestyle Modification and Cardiac Rehabilitation in Medicare Beneficiaries: Perspectives from a Beneficiary Survey: Enrollment into Lifestyle Modification Programs. 2009.
- Razavi Moaven, Gary Gaumer, Stanley Wallack (Editors). "What is Known About Demand and Other Related Interventions to Improve Access and Strengthen Health Care Systems in Low and Middle Income Countries?." 2008.
- Moaven Razavi, Ali Hassanzadeh, Kavous Basmenji. Fairness in Financial Contribution in Health System. Tehran, Iran: Andishmand Publication Inc., 2005.
- Moaven Razavi, Amirhoushang Mehryar, Ali Hassanzadeh. The Relationships between Poverty and Healthcare Financing. Teharan, Iran Population Studies and Research Center for Asia and the Pacific: 2005.
- Millennium Development Goals Research Team. The First Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Report 2004: Achievements and challenges. The United Nations: 2004.
- Moaven Razavi. "Redistribution Impacts of Government Subsidies, Cash Assistance Programs, and In-kind Programs: An Empirical Study Based on Households Survey Data." Iranian Economy. Ed. Mohammad Tabibian. Tehran, Iran: Institute for Research in Planning and Development, 1999
- Nili Farhad, Reza S. Mahani, and Moaven Razavi. "Analysis of the trends of poverty, income distribution and social welfare." Iranian Economy. Ed. Masoud Nili. Tehran, Iran: Institute for Research in Planning and Development (IRPD), 1997