Adjunct Professor of the Practice
Can Erbil is a Research Fellow of EcoMod, Global Economic Modeling Network, where he is involved in research and teaching on economic modeling. EcoMod is based in Brussels. Erbil is also currently a consultant at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, working on a project for the New Hampshire Tax Commission to estimate the economic impacts of changes in income, sales and property taxes.
On two different occasions, Erbil has worked in the International Trade Division of the World Bank, as a consultant and data manager. He has conducted intensive empirical research using international data sources, and delivered policy recommendations to client countries on issues such as market openness.
- Erbil, Can and Brandess, Andrew. "Gold-of-Pleasure." Dialogue
- Erbil, Can with Ali Bayar, Frederic Dramais, Cristina Mohora and Masudi Opese. "Regional Impacts of Carbon Taxes." April 2007. (forthcoming)
- Erbil, Can with Marwa Farag, A. K. NandaKumar, Stanley Wallack, Dominic Hodgkin, Gary Gaumer. "The income elasticity of health care spending in developing and developed countries." International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 10. 1 (2012).
- Erbil, Can with Brandess, A., and Keske, C.. "The Viability of Butanol as a Biofuel Option in Western Colorado." United States Association for Energy Economics Dialogue 19(2). 19(2). (2011).
- Erbil, Can. "“The Light at the End of the Tunnel: The South-South Locomotive”." Political Reflection April 2011: 5 23-24.
- Erbil, Can with Elif Sisli-Ciamarra. "Inflation and Poverty," February 2009.
- Erbil, Can with Ferhan Salman (IMF). "Relaxing the Financial Constraint: The Impact of Banking Sector Reform on Firm Performance - Emerging Market Evidence from Turkey" March 2009.
- Erbil, Can. "Global Economy." New York: Agincourt Press, 2009
- Erbil, Can and Ozdemir, Durmus. "Does Financial Liberalization Trigger long-run Economic Growth? New Evidence from EU8 and Turkey." EcoMod 2008, International Conference on Policy Modeling, Berlin ( German Institute for Economic Research DIW-Berlin), Germany. July 2-4, 2008.
- Erbil, Can and Nundlall Prasandjeet. "The Contribution of Financial Development to Income Levels in Sub-Saharan Africa." Journal of African Economies (under suggested revision to resubmit). (2008).
- Erbil, Can and Ogus, Ayla. "Ethnic tension, Instability and Trade: Case of Turkish Exports to Iraq." 15th World Congress of the Internatioanal Economic Association, Istanbul, Turkey. June-25-29, 2008.
- Erbil, Can and Sahin, Sebnem (The World Bank). "Welfare Impact of Energy Policies in Turkey: 1970-2020." 31st IAEE International Conference titled "Bridging Energy Supply and Demand: Logistics, Competition and Environment", Istanbul, Turkey. June 18-20, 2008.
- Erbil, Can, Gülen, Gürcan (Center for Energy Economics, Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin) and Hossain, Ijaz (Petroleum and Mineral Resource Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology). "Energy Policies for Developing Countries: The Case of Natural Gas in Bangladesh." April 2008 (preliminary).
- Bayar, A., Dramais, F., Erbil, C., Mohora, M.C. and M. Opese. "Regional Impacts of Carbon Taxes." Sustainable Development. Ed. Ali Bayar. Bucharest, Romania: ASE Press, 2007
- Erbil, Can and Ozdemir, Durmus. "Does Financial Liberalization Trigger Long run Economic Growth? Evidence from Turkey and Other Recent EU Candidates." EcoMod2007, International Conference on Policy Modeling., Sao Paulo, Brasil. July 11-13, 2007.
- Erbil, Can and Salman, Ferhan. "Revealing Turkey's Public Debt Burden - A Transparent Payments Approach." Journal of Policy Modeling 28. 7 (2006): 825-835.
- Erbil, Can. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalization in the Textile and Clothing Sector in Mediterranean Countries." Mediterranean Yearbook 2006. Ed. European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed) and the Fundació CIDOB. European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed) and the Fundació CIDOB, 2006. 161-166.
- Erbil, Can and Ogus, Ayla. "The Effects of Instability on Turkey's Bilateral Trade with Iraq." Turkish Policy Quarterly 4. 4 (2005): 169-177.
- Erbil, Can, Bayar, A., Sisik, S., Yeldan, E. & Schef, M.. The Future of the Textile and Clothing Industries in the Mediterranean Countries in the Face of the MFA phasing-out, China's WTO Membership, the Multilateral Trade Liberalisation, and EU Enlargement. FEMISE-European Commission / EcoMod Network, 2005.
- Erbil, Can. "Revealing Turkey's Public Debt Burden: A Transparent Payments Approach." Ed. Salman, Ferhan. Cental Bank of Republic of Turkey, 2004
- Erbil, Can. Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA) of the negotiations of the trade agreement between the European Community and the Countries of the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf (GCC). European Council, 2003.
Awards and Honors
- Research Associate, ERF, Economic Research Forum for the Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey (2012 - 2017)
- Senior Fellow, Bahcesehir University, Institute of Social Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey (2012)
- Member of the International Advisory Committee, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey (2011)
- Brandeis University, The Theodore and Jane Norman Award, 2007-2008 Research Grant, "Relaxing the Financial Constraint: The Impact of Banking Sector Reform on Firm Performance - Emerging Market Evidence from Turkey (2007)
- Research Associate, ERF, Economic Research Forum for the Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey (2007 - 2012)
- Brandeis University, Theodore and Jane Norman Award - Research Grant, "Energy Policies for Developing Countries: A Comparative Analysis of Natural Gas in Ghana and Bangladesh" (2006)
- Perlmutter Award for Contributions to Teaching, Brandeis University (2006)
- Mazer Award, Brandeis University (2005)
- Digital Photo Contest, Winner of the Action/Journalism Category (2003)
- Featured by the Boston College Department of Economics 2003 Newsletter as Alumni Profile (2003)
- Michael L. Walzer Award for Teaching (2003)
- Boston College, Donald and Helene White Prize for Outstanding Dissertation in the Field of Social Sciences (2002)
- Boston College Award for Teaching Excellence (1999)
- Boston College Leadership Award (1998)
- Boston College Outstanding Graduate Student Award (1998)
- Boston College Award for Teaching Excellence (1996)