Marji Erickson Warfield
Senior Scientist and Lecturer
As a researcher of social policy with a focus on developmental disabilities, Marji Erickson Warfield's work is designed to understand and evaluate ways to promote the well-being of children, youth and young adults with disabilities and the adaptation of their families. The majority of Dr. Erickson Warfield's work has been focused in three areas. First, studies of the transition from pediatric to adult health care for youth with disabilities including autism spectrum disorders have examined the perspectives of pediatric and adult health care providers as well as those of youth and families. These studies have identified promising strategies for improving transition procedures and outcomes. Second, evaluations of various innovative models of service delivery have concentrated on how systems, providers, families, and youth interact and how procedures can be established to better coordinate care and implement novel interventions. Third, longitudinal investigations have identified several key individual, family environment, service and system level characteristics that explain variation in the physical and socio-emotional well-being of children, youth, and young adults with disabilities. Dr. Erickson Warfield has expertise in a variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis techniques and her work has been funded by a range of federal and foundation sources.
- Woodman, A.C., Demers, L.B., Crossman, M.K., Warfield, M.E., & Hauser-Cram, P. "The influence of Part C early intervention dosage levels on growth in adaptive skills through adolescence.." Early Childhood Research Quarterly 43. (2018): 73-82.
- Schneider, K.G., Warfield, M.E., Joshi, P., Ha, Y., & Hodgkin, D. "Insights into the black box of child care supply: Predictors of provider participation in the Massachusetts child care subsidy system.." Children and Youth Services Review 79. (2017): 148-159.
- Warfield, Marji Erickson, Crossman, Morgan, Neumeyer, Ann, O'Brien, Julie, Kuhlthau, Karen. "Transition tools and access to adult primary care." Advances in Autism 3. 3 (2017): 131-141.
- Kuhlthau, K., Delahaye, J., Warfield, M.E., Shui, A., Crossman, M., & Van Der Weerd, E.J. "Health care transition services for youth with autism spectrum disorders: Perspectives of Caregivers.." Pediatrics 137. Supplement 2 (2016): S158-S166.
- Warfield, M.E., & Zwaigenbaum, L. "Editor’s note and prologue." Pediatrics 137. Supplement 2 (2016): S57-S60.
- Warfield, Marji Erickson. "Vocational rehabilitation and training for adults with autism spectrum disorder: History, practices, and new directions.." Primer on Autism Spectrum Disorder. Ed. Christopher McDougle. Oxford University Press, 2016. 413-427.
- Kuhlthau, K., Warfield, M.E., Hurson, J., Delahaye, J., & Crossman, M. "Pediatric provider’s perspectives on the transition to adult health care for youth with autism spectrum disorder: Current strategies and promising new directions." Autism 19. 3 (2015): 262-271.
- Leutz, W., Timberlake, M., Warfield, M.E., & Chiri, G.. "The infrastructure of participant direction for Medicaid-funded in-home autism services for children in Massachusetts." Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. 12. 1 (2015): 27-36.
- Warfield, M.E., Crossman, M.K., Delahaye, J., Van Der Weerd, E.J., & Kuhlthau, K. "Physician perspectives on providing primary medical care to adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. (2015): <DOI 10.1007/s10803-015-2386-9>.
- Warfield, M.E., Crossman, M.K., Delahaye, J., Van Der Weerd, E.J., & Kuhlthau, K.. "Physician perspectives on providing primary medical care to adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 45. 7 (2015): 2209-2217 <DOI 10.1007/s10803-015-2386-9>.
- Timberlake, M., Leutz, W., Warfield, M.E., & Chiri, G. "“In the driver’s seat”: Parent perceptions of choice in a participant-directed Medicaid waiver program for young children with autism." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 44. 4 (2014): 903-914.
- Warfield, M.E., Chiri, G., Leutz, W., & Timberlake, M. "Family well-being in a participant directed autism waiver program: The role of relational coordination." Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 58 (12). 12 (2014): 1091-1104.
- Friedman, N.B., Warfield, Marji Erickson, & Parish, S.L.. "Transition to adulthood for individuals with autism spectrum disorder: Current issues and future perspectives." Neuropsychiatry 3. 2 (2013): 1-12.
- Hauser-Cram, P.,Warfield, Marji Erickson, Shonkoff, J.P., Sayer, A., Upshur, C., & Heyman, M.G.. "Children with disabilities: A developmental-contextual perspective." Preparing educators to engage families: From theory to practice. 3rd ed. Ed. H.B. Weiss, H. Kreider, M.E. Lopez, & C. Chapman-Nelson. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2013
- Chiri, Giusi & Warfield, Marji Erickson. "Unmet need and problems accessing core health care services for children with autism spectrum disorder." Maternal and Child Health Journal. 16. 5 (2012): 1081-1091.
- Budney, Caroline, Warfield, Marji Erickson. Services for Adults with Autism in Massachusetts: An Overview. Advocates for Autism in Massachusetts. Waltham, MA: 2010.
- Hauser-Cram, Penny and Warfield, Marji Erickson. "Early intervention services." Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics. 4th ed. Ed. W.B. Carey, A.C. Crocker, W.L. Coleman, H.M. Feldman, & E.R. Elias. Philadelphia: Elsevier Science, 2009. 923-932.