Scientist and Lecturer
firstname.lastname@example.org • Heller-Brown Building • 351 • 781-736-3859
Public health, Health Equity, Social Determinants of Health, Racial/Ethnic Health Disparities, Program Planning and Evaluation, Health Literacy/Communications, Social Policy and (Urban) Health, Health in All Policies
- HSSP 100b - Introduction to Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Population Health
- HSSP 120bj - Health Care Landscapes
- Acevedo-García D, Rosenfeld L, McArdle N, Hardy EF, Osypuk TL. "Future Directions on Research on Institutional and Interpersonal Discrimination and Child Health." American Journal of Public Health (2013). (forthcoming)
- Rosenfeld L, Shepherd A, Agunwamba A, McCray A. "Iterative Development and Evaluation of a Web-Based Health Information Resource." Journal of Health Communication (2013). (forthcoming)
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Health Impact Assessment: An Introduction to the Practice, with Applications to a Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Tax." University of New England, Health Impact Assessment Training. Freeport, ME. February 5, 2013.
- Martin LT, Schonlau M, Haas A, Rudd R, Loucks EB, Rosenfeld L, Buka SL. "Which Literacy Skills Are Associated with Smoking?." Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 66. 2 (2012): 189-219.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Health Impact Assessment webinar." Exploring the Promise and Practice of Health Impact Assessments: A New England Training Series. Boston, MA. April/May 2012.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Health Literacy 101." National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ) Grantee Learning and Resource Meeting. Boston, MA. (postponed).
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Health in All Policies, Designing Cross-Sector Policies to Improve Health." Social Determinants of Health: Law & Public Policy. Providence, RI. April, 2012.
- Rudd R, Rosenfeld L, Simonds V. "Health Literacy: A New Field of Research with Links to Communication." Atlantic Journal of Communication 20. 1 (2012): 16-30.
- Martin LT, Schonlau M, Haas A, Pitkin Derose K, Rudd R, Loucks EB, Rosenfeld L, Buka SL. "Literacy Skills and Calculated 10-Year Risk of Coronary Heart Disease." Journal of General Internal Medicine 26. 1 (2011): 45-50.
- Martin LT, Schonlau, M, Haas A, Rosenfeld L, Pitkin Derose K, Buka SL, Rudd R. "Patient Activation and Advocacy: Which Literacy Skills Matter Most?." Journal of Health Communication, Special Issue on Health Literacy 16. S3 (2011): 177-190.
- Rosenfeld L, Chew G, Rudd R, Emmons K , Acosta L, Perzanowski M, Acevedo-García D. "Are Building-Level Characteristics Associated with Indoor Level Allergens in the Household?." Journal of Urban Health 88. 1 (2011): 14-29.
- Rosenfeld L, Rudd R, Emmons KM, Acevedo-García D, Martin L, Buka S. "Beyond Reading Alone: The Relationship between Aural Literacy and Asthma Management." Patient Education and Counseling 82. 1 (2011): 110-116.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Professional Development Seminar: Health Literacy 101." South Shore Hospital. Weymouth, MA. April 2011.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "The “Built Environment” and Public Health: Synergies and Strategies." Schweitzer Achieving Health Equity Together Conference. Boston, MA. October, 2011.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Understanding and Conducting Health Impact Assessments: Putting the Focus on Health Disparities." Northeast Prevention Institute Webinar. Lawrence, MA. November, 2011.
- Acevedo-García D, Rosenfeld L, McArdle N, Osypuk T. "The Geography of Opportunity: A Framework for Child Development." Men and Boys of Color. Ed. Edley C & Ruiz de Velasco J. University of California Press, 2010. 358-406.
- Rosenfeld L, Rudd R, Chew G, Emmons K, Acevedo-García D. "Are Neighborhood-Level Characteristics Associated with Indoor Level Allergens in the Household?." Journal of Asthma 47. 1 (2010): 66-75.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay and Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores. "The Use of Evidence in Health Impact Assessment." Academy Health. Boston, MA. June, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Health Impact Assessment: Applications for Toxic Traffic." Museum of Science. Boston, MA. April, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Identifying and Marketing Your Parent-Related Skills in the Job Market." The Federation for Children with Special Needs. Visions of Community. Boston, MA. March, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Indoor Allergens and Neighborhood Characteristics." Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Neighborhood-Level Characteristics Associated with Indoor Allergens: Data from New York City and the Puerto Rican Asthma Project." Northeastern University. Boston, MA. March, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Race, Income, and Education: Analyzing America’s Achievement Gap." Northeastern University. Boston, MA. January, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "The Geography of Opportunity: A Framework for Child Development." Building Healthy Communities Through a Focus on Young Men and Boys of Color Conference. The Warren Institute at UC-Berkeley and the California Endowment. Los Angeles, CA. September, 2010.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "The Use of Evidence in Health Impact Assessment." Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy and Management. Baltimore, MD. September, 2010.
- Rosenfeld L, Gallagher M. Boston Food Desert Forum Survey Report. 2009.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Community Connect To Research: evaluation of a patient portal." 1st Annual Harvard Center for Biomedical Informatics Symposium. Boston, MA. May, 2009.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Evaluation of Community Connect To Research (CC2R)." 137th American Public Health Association Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November, 2009.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Highlighting the Aural Exchange: Examining distinct types of literacy in chronic disease management." 137th American Public Health Association Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November, 2009.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Neighborhood-level characteristics and indoor allergens in the household." 137th American Public Health Association Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November, 2009.
- Acosta L, Acevedo-García D, Perzanowski MS, Mellins R, Rosenfeld L, Cortés D, Gelman A, Fagan JK, Bracero LA, Correa JC, Reardon AM, and Chew GL. "The New York City Puerto Rican asthma project: study design, methods, and base-line results." Journal of Asthma 45. 1 (2008): 51-57.
- Rudd RE, Rosenfeld LE, & Anderson JE. "Health Literacy." Encyclopedia of Epidemiology. Ed. S. Boslaugh. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2008
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay and Watts, Vanessa. "Free listing: Beyond survey development." Sixth Annual Qualitative Research Conference. University of Missouri-St. Louis, College of Education, St. Louis, MO. March, 2007.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Puerto Ricans in the Bronx, NY: Building and neighborhood characteristics and respiratory illness." 3rd Annual Puerto Rican Public Health Conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico. May, 2007.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Puerto Ricans in the Bronx, NY: Sociocontextual influences on asthma – building and neighborhood type." 135th American Public Health Association Meeting. Washington, DC. November, 2007.
- Rudd R, Anderson J, Oppenheimer S, Rosenfeld L, Mandic C. "Health Literacy." Public Health and Preventive Medicine. vol. 15 Ed. Wallace R. New York: McGraw Hill Medical, 2007. 1035-1040.
- Rudd R, Rosenfeld L, Gall V. "Health Literacy and arthritis research and practice." Current Opinion in Rheumatology 19. 2 (2007): 97-100.
- Child Health Impact Assessment Working Group (including Rosenfeld L). Unhealthy Consequences: Energy Costs and Child Health - A Child Health Impact Assessment of Energy Costs and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. 2006.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay and Anderson, Jennie Epstein. "Training to government & health officials, health insurance & direct service providers, & foundation employees concerning plain language & health literacy.." Plain Language Institute, The Literacy Assistance Center. New York, New York. July, 2006.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay and Gall, Victoria. "Health Literacy in America: Why and how to improve written and oral communication." American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. November, 2007\6.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay and Rudd, Rima. "Preventing Disasters and Minimizing their Consequences." American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Cambridge, MA. April, 2006.
- Rosenfeld, Lindsay. "Applying the Principles of Health Literacy: Interactive discussion/critique of adolescent health brochures." The New England Regional Advisory Committee Meeting: Health Literacy – The Language of Adolescents. Boston, MA. October, 2006.
- Child Health Impact Assessment Working Group (including Rosenfeld, L). Affordable Housing and Child Health - A Child Health Impact Assessment of the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program. 2005.
Dr. Lindsay E. Rosenfeld is a social epidemiologist with research interests in program and policy design that focus on the health impacts of “nonhealth” policies and programs, particularly concerning the built environment, urban planning and design, housing, neighborhoods, education, (im)migration, and health literacy. In addition to her work with the Institute for Child, Youth, and Family Policy, she is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Northeastern University's Institute on Urban Health Research as well as a Research Associate in Health Literacy Studies, Harvard School of Public Health. Rosenfeld has been an Instructor at Northeastern University where she taught a course on race, ethnicity, and health, as well as at the Harvard School of Public Health where she taught a course on health literacy. Throughout her career Rosenfeld has served in numerous research, policy, teaching, and community social-service capacities—she is passionate about translating research into policy. Examples include being a founding member of the Boston Child Health Impact Assessment Working Group, a second-grade teacher in Compton, California, co-founder and coordinator of the Interdisciplinary Consortium on Urban Planning and Public Health, a participant in the Boston Affordable Housing Design Competition, and a mentor to many interns and students. Currently, she is working on 3 main project areas: child equity and policy with the diversitydatakids.org Project [WK Kellogg Foundation, Brandeis University], NOURISH (Nutrition Opportunities to Understand Reforms Involving Student Health) [Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Harvard School of Public Health], and The Meaning and Impact of Limited Literacy on in the Lives of People with Serious Mental Illness [National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Mental Health, Northeastern University]. Rosenfeld earned her bachelor’s degree in women’s studies from Brown University and both her master’s degree and doctorate in public health from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Harvard University, School of Public Health
Harvard University, School of Public Health
Awards and Honors
- New Leaders Council Fellow (2012)
- Dr. Fang Ching Sun Memorial Award, Harvard School of Public Health (2009)
- Albert Schweitzer Fellow (2003)
- Rappaport Public Policy (2003)